MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Packer Post Season Postulations

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Packer Post Season Postulations

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Fucking asshats where is the face mask call? What the fuck? Bullshit
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:20 pm

They left if with the horse collar call in the first half...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:24 pm

What a game - kept thinking of the epic Monday night game against the Redskins in '83.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 pm

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!

HULK SMASH!!!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:03 am

Hate to be the guy who goes back and complains about the officiating but what the fuck. Apparently if you're Larry Fitzgerald you just need to knock the corner down ten yards down the field to be successful. I love the guy as a football player one of the best WR in the league right now but c'mon. Both his TD's were blatant pass interference/illegal contact calls that should have been made. On the second one the Packers got a roughing call. Apparently if you're rushing the QB and the OL tackles you to the ground you need to make sure no part of your body touches the QB a split second after he gets rid of the ball. And why would it end any other way. Did Rodgers fumble? Absolutely but #27 hand a fist full of Rodgers beard through his face mask. First down GB. It's so retarded that they can't go back and review EVERYTHING. We have the technology. Get it right or don't review anything at all. I'll sit through the extra commercials.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:09 am

Not much to be done about it. That was a case, plain and simple, of the Devil calling in his marker for that 2003 game where Nate Poole caught a last-second TD to put the Cardinals over the Vikings and send the Packers to the playoffs.

You can't fight metaphysics.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:12 am

Fisti you are right about all the crap calls/non calls, what a mess. Our D never really showed up either, I can't believe we allowed that many points. My brain hurts.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:24 am

No certainly the way the D got beat all day we didn't deserve a W but 14 of those points were offensive fouls. Would they have scored if they'd been called? Probably. I'm more pissed that football is done for me now. I'm not really pulling for any of the teams that are left. About the only game I have any interest in is Dallas/MN. And I'll be rooting against Favre despite earlier declarations of the opposite. The NFL season is too short. They should start the regular season a month earlier.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

I can't believe the officials didn't see/didn't care that Fitzgerald ran over Woodson, but Peter King has a decent explanation for the non-call on the facemask.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ?eref=sihp

It's tough to win a game where the opposing quarterback has more touchdowns than incompletions, but at least half of Green Bay's team decided to show up(versus no one on my Patriots; wow, was that embarrassing).
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:31 pm

The Arena Football style gameplan of the Packers will never win them a championship. For the last 60 years the winning formula has been a great defense and a strong running game, neither of which the Packers have. Despite the league changing the rules to favor passing and a more TV friendly game, the fundamentals don't change. It's all about blocking and tackling and the Packers are weak at both.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:50 pm

O.J. wrote:I can't believe the officials didn't see/didn't care that Fitzgerald ran over Woodson, but Peter King has a decent explanation for the non-call on the facemask.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ?eref=sihp

And how about the helmet to helmet hit on Rodgers before the F.M?
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:15 am

KidCapitol wrote:And how about the helmet to helmet hit on Rodgers before the F.M?

Maybe Rodgers should start wearing a skirt out there. Today's football is going the same direction as pro basketball. On every play they hold, take cheap shots, and basically push the rules to the limit forcing the refs to make a decision. The Packers defensive backs are experts at it. Maybe if their offensive line could block they would have won the game.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:The Arena Football style gameplan of the Packers will never win them a championship. For the last 60 years the winning formula has been a great defense and a strong running game, neither of which the Packers have. Despite the league changing the rules to favor passing and a more TV friendly game, the fundamentals don't change. It's all about blocking and tackling and the Packers are weak at both.

Our defense is a work in progress - we racked up some pretty damn great numbers in the first season after the 3-4 switchover... I realize none of that means much when you allow your opponent 50+ points in the playoffs, but I would shy away from referring to our defense as "not strong". We boast the defensive MVP. We also have some of the most promising defensive rookies in the league in Matthews, Raji, and Jones.
It's easy to agree with the "strong running games" are the other part of the championship formula --- until you realize there have been too many anomalies to make this a steadfast rule. Case in point; the 1996 Super Bowl Champion Packers had less rushing yards then the 2009 team.
As far as fundamentals go, offensive line blocking has plenty of room for improvement, though I would argue with the Packers it is more and issue of size then skill set. When speaking of fundamentals, the biggest thing that hurt us this year were penalties.
If we can work out our OL and special teams play while continuuing to gain experience (youngest roster in the NFL), I see no reason the why the overall offensive game plan or defensive scheme needs to change.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:13 pm

crevice beatle wrote:If we can work out our OL and special teams play while continuuing to gain experience (youngest roster in the NFL), I see no reason the why the overall offensive game plan or defensive scheme needs to change.

What is it with all this "we" and "our" stuff. Do you play for the Packers? You would think Brett Favre would have made you realize that the players are not playing for and don't give a damn about you. Also, if you look at who they beat, and who they lost to, the facts will support my previous statements.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:
crevice beatle wrote:If we can work out our OL and special teams play while continuuing to gain experience (youngest roster in the NFL), I see no reason the why the overall offensive game plan or defensive scheme needs to change.

What is it with all this "we" and "our" stuff. Do you play for the Packers? You would think Brett Favre would have made you realize that the players are not playing for and don't give a damn about you. Also, if you look at who they beat, and who they lost to, the facts will support my previous statements.

Are you serious? All this "we" and "our" stuff? This is pretty standard hometown fan speak, be it highschool, college, or professional teams.... yes, fan, not fanatic. If you want to continue to assume a precise literal interpretation of common sports fan speak because it makes you feel above it all while debating it all, be my guest.
If you are going to look at every individual loss from this last season and make a point that our defense wasn't strong enough or that we were unsuccesful at the run in those games --- then by golly, you're the next John Madden, only not as cute.

I suppose if the Packers worked harder at scoring more touchdowns then their opponents, we would be better too... Afterall, scoring lots of touchdowns is what wins championships.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking