MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Cable Modems

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Cable Modems

Postby Cartman69 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:30 pm

I'm going to give Charter another try for my internet access and I heard you can purchase your own modem and not be socked with the 5 bucks a month rental, so I was wondering if anyone has knowledge or experience with buying a modem and using it with Charter.
Thanks
Cart
Cartman69
Forum Addict

Re: Cable Modems

Postby Cartman69 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Never mind
Even though they've filed for bankruptcy Charter won't waive the $50 installation fee?! :roll:
Cartman69
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:02 pm

Cartman69 wrote:Never mind
Even though they've filed for bankruptcy Charter won't waive the $50 installation fee?! :roll:
Aye, phuck 'em. The idea that a company would charge you to start paying them money is a non-starter. Better they should say, we'll give you a modem and 2 months free connectivity if you stick with us for a full year.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:10 am

Heh. I don't get why they won't waive the fee. You know they'll be running a free install special soon - they do it all the time.

That said - do NOT buy your own modem. Companies will be upgrading to DOCSIS 3.0 soon and there's no guarantee old modems will work with it.

When I finally went to 10MB some time ago - it required a modem swap. Easy as scheduling an appt since I had been renting. If I had bought my own modem - I'd have been shelling out another $150.

Also, if your modem goes bad they replace it if they own it. If you own it - good luck.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:56 pm

I had Charter's modem for the first couple of years I had Charter, then I bought my own. When I first got Charter in 2001, they didn't have any option except to use the one they supplied for the $5/month. Then by about 2003 or 2004 they started having offers with Best Buy and Circuit City for you to buy the modem (for like $75) and Charter would give you a rebate (for the $75 - making the modem "free") if you started a new service.

If you already had service with Charter (like I did), the Best Buy offer was such that you would get the modem for $50 with an instant rebate. So that's what I did in about 2004 or 2005. I figured it would pay for itself in 10 months, and it did.

There is a number on the modem that you have to give to Charter for them to configure your service. If you are starting service with Charter (or replacing a modem with an existing service) you will have to give them that number. You can't just swap it out.

I really can't argue against what others have posted here. True, if my modem fails, I'll have to buy another one as opposed to calling Charter and getting a new one from them. But then on the other hand, I haven't been paying them $60 a year for the past 4 or 5 years either. When I had a modem from them, I never thought to ask for a newer one, but then they never offered me a newer one either. Last year I bought a modem for my Dad for about $60. He had been paying Charter the $5 a month for the same modem since 2000. He was having problems with his service, and Charter tried all kinds of trouble shooting but they never offered to give him a new modem. Finally I bought a new modem for him, and when I called Charter to give them the number off the new modem, the girl on the phone laughed at me saying we should have just asked for a new modem from them instead of buying one. Sure, considering they had collected about $480 from us over the years for the old one (and never ever hinted they would give us a new one). His service works fine now, by the way.

Second thought, don't bother with Charter at all.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Ted » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:07 am

Beer Moon wrote:That said - do NOT buy your own modem. Companies will be upgrading to DOCSIS 3.0 soon and there's no guarantee old modems will work with it.
Also, if your modem goes bad they replace it if they own it. If you own it - good luck.

Are you assuming that Charter will promptly upgrade the modem to DOCSIS 3.0 when it becomes available? I would have to see that in writing somewhere first....

Also, what are the chances that the modem is going to go bad? I say, not very high. You are better off owning your own and saving the $$$$. If Charter did not make money on the modem rental, they wouldn't be doing it. It's like extended warranties....
Ted

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:24 am

Depends on you definition of "promptly". Sure, rate of failure is likely very low - like it is with most consumer electronics.

When Charter implements DOCSIS 3.0, they'll be offering new speeds. I don't know the capability of the current hardware - I should probably look that up.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:32 am

If you prefer to save a little bit of money now, but less so when the technology is upgraded and you have to swap out, buy one. If you prefer to have the latest and greatest technology and buy the latest and greatest A/V components and computers that you want to interface, rent.

I have a modem/wireless router from AT&T that blows the doors off of the Motorola modem that I had with Charter (plus I had to buy my own wireless router when I had Charter). I would recommend going with them if you run multiple wireless computers (and any that are wired up). And the TV service is better (although no MLB network). And its cheaper for the first year. Free install.

Going around buying a new modem and router every few years seems like a break even or maybe lose money proposition for me. If you are running one older desktop and you don't upgarde every 1-2 years like I do, you probably don't need an integrated modem/router or the latest technology, so buying your own modem might save you a few bucks.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cartman69 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:23 pm

Beer Moon wrote:That said - do NOT buy your own modem. Companies will be upgrading to DOCSIS 3.0 soon and there's no guarantee old modems will work with it.
When I finally went to 10MB some time ago - it required a modem swap. Easy as scheduling an appt since I had been renting. If I had bought my own modem - I'd have been shelling out another $150.

Well the modem rental just went up to $5.00/month. Do you think this has to do with the roll out of DOCSIS 3.0? Or is it just one of their rate increases?

A few weeks ago I received a notice that speeds were going to increase without a change in price.

" Dear Charter Customer,
We're dedicated to enhancing your Internet experience – you can always count on us to deliver the fastest, most reliable Internet speeds†. That's why we've upgraded your Charter High-Speed® Internet service – with both doubled upload speeds and faster downloads – at no additional cost.
These upgrades are just another example of our commitment to delivering the best service and
value to our customers."
Cartman69
Forum Addict

Postby tonyadams » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:52 am

you can purchase your own modem for internet access,don't worry .
but why you purchase your own modem because when company upgrading modem that is no grantee to work in it.
tonyadams

Postby alimaamoser » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:14 am

Cable modems, like 56k modems, create asymmetric connections. What does this mean, and why doesn’t this asymmetric connection affect the average Web user?
PROACTOL
alimaamoser

Postby Shorty » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:15 pm

I have had Charter internet since Sept and pay the $5/mo for the Ambit modem they provide. If there are problems, they will come investigate with no service charge. If you buy a modem and it develops problems it is your responsibility. But in Spring I thing I'm going to do try that so I can stop renting. In Winter I don't want the hassle if there are any problems.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games