MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

modem

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

modem

Postby eleanori » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:31 am

How do I connect my NTL Cable Modem to a Netgear Wireless Router? I'm having trouble. When I try to install my new wireless router, it says my modem needs to be connected to my computer via Ethernet. However when I try to do this the modem doesn't work anymore (no internet). I'm using Windows Vista - is there something special I need to do to enable ethernet usage of the modem?
Last edited by eleanori on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
eleanori

Re: modem

Postby Athena » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 am

The basics are - cable coming out of wall to modem input slot, ethernet cable from modem output to router input, ethernet cable from router output to computer. If you call up Netgear's support they'll be able to walk you through the router setup. Usually that kind of problem is one of the cables being plugged into the wrong output or input but it might be something in the router setup. Does it work when you skip the router and plug the modem directly into the computer?
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:18 pm

I got a netgear Wireless router in Dec and was able to hook it up. Like Athena says, you connect the modem to the router with the Ethernet cable. Then connect the router to your PC with an Ethernet cable. Turn on your PC. You need this wired internet access in order to setup the wireless router. Once it is set up, you can disconnect your PC from the router and use the PC wirelessly. The Netgear website has instructions.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:51 pm

Here is a Netgear router FAQ:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... ag==/sno/0

Here is a Netgear router installation walk through:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... ag==/sno/0

The install cd didn't work for me but I found the installation instructions on their website. Go to http://kb.netgear.com and search for "Configuring your NETGEAR router for DSL Internet connection" or "Configure your NETGEAR router for Cable Internet Connection" depending on which service you have.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games