MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Can we make it stop?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Can we make it stop?

Postby mrak » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:01 pm

Galoot wrote:Jason, do you want a lively and successful discussion board or not? If so, then quit trying to change human nature, which is to RESPOND to someone who is being provocatively stupid.

As Snoqueen said, this has been tried over and over again over the last 15 years, and it ALWAYS fails when the moderators just plead with the community to not respond to the trolls. It is much like the owner of a coffeeshop refusing to kick out the street person who is walking around and trying to butt into each and every conversation. It's stupid to expect people to not respond when the troll is deliberately trying to provoke a response.

So it's your choice. You can sit and whine and wail about how we are not following your clear moderator instructions to just not post responses to the troll--even though you just started a thread which seemed to clearly INVITE that troll to respond--or you can actually BE A MODERATOR, and realize that you aren't going to change human nature by your oh-so-sincere requests.

And you haven't said why you can't filter out the "free iPhone" posts either.

Thanks to SCOTUS, they now count as constitutionally-protected commercial speech! <grin>

But seriously: the above. Maybe Jason hasn't surveyed the wreckage all over certain sections of the forum - it's plausible, as it took 5 pages of feedback in this thread for him to respond.

Even as a committed non-feeder of trolls over the past 5 years/2,000+ posts, I am finding the forum increasingly unusable due to the declining signal-to-noise ratio.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:56 pm

HeyZeus wrote:I saw the thread topic and immediately knew.

Me, too. That says something, doesn't it?

Tiggs-style douchebags flare and fade, and when the forum breaks out in a new rash, I find it easiest to visit and post less often until the outbreak subsides. Not to keep from responding, which I don't do anyway, but just to avoid the irritation.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:06 pm

I have no problem whatsoever in just ignoring him. I don't know why it seems to be so hard for some folks. Ignore someone like this long enough and he'll get bored, go away, and take his act elsewhere where he can get a response.

Really, this thread itself is probably a gratifying form of response, so now that I've had my say I will not even speak of this individual again.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Human » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:21 pm

David Blaska wrote:If anyone should be "banned" it is Leaver for his foul language. However, his angry, inchoate sputterings -- reminiscent of a Tourette's sufferer in a snakepit -- does serve as a representative specimen of liberalism -- all emotion, no thought. Plus, I enjoy his misery.

Sort of amusing to see Blaska criticizing others for "angry, inchoate sputterings."
Human

Postby Dairylander » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:47 pm

You know what I hate?
Every summer when the Neo-Nazis rally at the capitol, a bunch of retards show up to hold a "counter-rally". They wave their peace signs and their stupid chants and they think they're fighting for equality or something.
What they are really doing is playing right into the hand of the supremacists and giving them exactly what they came for: attention, drama and more attention. The TV cameras don't show up to watch a few pasty guys walk around in swastikas, they go to film the conflict between the Nazis and their opponents.

Tiggs is not the problem; you retards that engage him are the problem.
And it is NOT spam. He doesn't randomly cut and paste propaganda all over the place. He attends the correct threads and directly engages people. So he writes a lot of long posts? Big fucking deal.

I joined this forum because I was kicked off of another forum.
I referred to George W. Bush as "Our Misleader". The moderator thought that was too polemic and booted me.
I like this forum specifically because fucktards like Tiggs are allowed to air their fucktarded views.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:31 pm

It isn't spam, it's trolling. Even Jason admits that the guy is a troll.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:44 pm

Galoot wrote:It isn't spam, it's trolling.

Wow, what a revelation.
So fucking what?
My 12 year-old niece is able to ignore internet trolls, is that too difficult for you?
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Mile-long irrelevant or plain stupid postings in the middle of a good discussion are hard to ignore. Believe me, I ignore them -- I haven't read completely through one in days and days now. But as someone said earlier, it's like the homeless guy wandering around in a coffee shop trying to butt in on everyone's conversations. After a while it's too annoying and other people leave.

It would be different if he had any chance at all of converting anyone here to his beliefs, but come on -- he doesn't. His world view is like a religion, and if you're a nonbeliever it just doesn't make an ounce of sense and never will. Maybe that's the dividing line between robust debate and trolling.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:47 pm

snoqueen wrote:Mile-long irrelevant or plain stupid postings in the middle of a good discussion are hard to ignore.

They're actually incredibly easy to ignore--if you use the Ignore (aka Foe) function. They just disappear.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Galoot wrote:It isn't spam, it's trolling. Even Jason admits that the guy is a troll.

If tiggs gets to stay, then Jason needs to let Mr. Blues, Harrisimo and Genie back in.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:36 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:They're actually incredibly easy to ignore--if you use the Ignore (aka Foe) function. They just disappear.

As a tech-challenged individual, I didn't know this option existed until you mentioned it.
It took me all of 30 seconds to make Tiggs' posts disappear like magic. The wonders of the interweb never cease!
Now I really have no sympathy for all the whiny little complainers.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:41 pm

Dairylander wrote:Now I really have no sympathy for all the whiny little complainers.

I'm sure they're deeply wounded by that.

A fucktard doesn't post in a vacuum. Even with "ignore" turned on, he leaves a grimy residue in any thread he touches, both from responses (and people will respond, noobs and veterans alike), and from the discontinuity that comes from leaving out chunks of the discussion.

I don't much care—I just stop in less often until the infestation dies down. But for people who don't want to modify their use because of a troll, "ignore" is an imperfect solution.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:48 pm

HeyZeus wrote:
Galoot wrote:It isn't spam, it's trolling. Even Jason admits that the guy is a troll.

If tiggs gets to stay, then Jason needs to let Mr. Blues, Harrisimo and Genie back in.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:53 pm

My problem with the ignore function is that you have to be logged in. I link to the "view active threads" page and for whatever reason that page doesn't keep you logged in. I can head to the forum any other number of ways and I'll be logged in but not the most convenient way that I prefer.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:12 pm

Fisticuffs, you really gotta get that browser looked at. We've gone over this how many time? And it's still not holding the cookie? I'm telling you, it's not working the way it's supposed to.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com