MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Stupid Bicyclist

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Would you ride your bike down East Washington?

Yes, bicyclists have the same rights as other road users
23%
Hell no, are you crazy?
77%

Total votes : 22

Stupid Bicyclist

Postby superman » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:20 am

I'm sorry, but anyone that rides their bike down East Washington, especially during morning rush hour, without a helmet , is a moron. I saw this guy this morning heading toward the capital around Baldwin riding his bike down East Washington, cars were driving right up to ass, and then they'd try to merge into the left lane to get around him. I couldn't even watch because it looked like the guy was about to die.
superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:03 pm

Stupid, yes, but I don't think it's from lack of helmet. To me anyone attempting to ride on a busy street like that totally under construction has a death with (or at least injury wish) helmet or not. Especially when there are bike paths running pretty much parallel with E. Wash on Gorham & the bike path along Willy/Atwood.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

crazy?

Postby newlow » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:13 pm

That was me. 6:45am daily I use the artery of E. Wash for a couple of blocks in my commute to campus. I usually wear a helmet though...

I think the fools are the people, one up in their suvs, driving in from SunPrairie and other various out of town points to go to work every single day.

Sorry, hate the rail corridor bike path and I'm using E. Wash to get to Gorham.
newlow
Forum Addict

Postby lunatic fringe » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:27 pm

hey newlow, what kind of bike do you ride on e wash?
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby newlow » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:26 pm

lunatic fringe wrote:hey newlow, what kind of bike do you ride on e wash?

Depends on the day- heh! I've got four. I'm one of them bike geeks. Lately I gotta go with the cyclocross bike since E. Wash is such a nightmare. A coupla times I've jumped on the new side of the avenue and just cruised in utter peace and contentment, weaving through cones, parked heavy machinery and gravel piles. Had a couple of *ssholes honk and flip me off, but that's their problem.
newlow
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:02 pm

Why in godz name don't you slide over one block and use Mifflin?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:04 pm

what she said.

you're one of those bikers that give bikers a bad name.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Bad Name?

Postby newlow » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:21 am

Whatever. I've been riding my bike through the Isthmus every day for 20 years. I ride 300 days a year, snow or shine. I have yet to be involved in or cause an accident. I'm still alive despite semis, buses, snowplows, cars, trucks and garbage trucks best attempts to "take their road back". If I choose to ride on East Wash, Mifflin, Gorham, the bike path, or in construction zones it is up to me, and I will make whatever decision is in the best interest of MY safety, but I do not disregard the needs of others on the road. My style is self-preservation. Nothing wrong with that is there? I do not appreciate being honked at and flipped off when I am peacefully making my way to work. It may be illegal to ride on the grass island between the super-highways on East Wash (pre-construction), but it is certainly not putting anyone (including myself in any danger). Riding on abandoned brand new pavement on East Wash is neither dangerous nor selfish, It is an obvious logical decision. The pavement is there, no one is using it. Hell, I'm getting out of your cars way by being over there.

BTW- Critical Mass ride this Friday during rush hour. I'll be there. Want to join?
newlow
Forum Addict

Postby roadkill bill » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:Why in godz name don't you slide over one block and use Mifflin?

In another thread, didn't Ben Masel point out the pot holes large enough to swallow an Escalade? I think he also pointed out other hazards (acid dropping trees and some neighbors threatening to moon people?)

But the real reason that Mifflin is a pain to bicyclists is the same reason motorists don't use it: stop signs.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:12 pm

bill, you're assuming that some bikers stop for stop signs. apparently rules don't apply to a select few.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:10 am

skrattypants wrote:bill, you're assuming that some bikers stop for stop signs. apparently rules don't apply to a select few.

Some bicyclists do stop for stop signs. Probably a higher percentage than motorists who obey the speed limits and yield to pedestrians.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:29 am

roadkill bill wrote:
skrattypants wrote:bill, you're assuming that some bikers stop for stop signs. apparently rules don't apply to a select few.

Some bicyclists do stop for stop signs. Probably a higher percentage than motorists who obey the speed limits and yield to pedestrians.

Exactly. When motorists start obeying ALL the laws so will I. Newlow's got the right attitude. It's Madison that needs to get their collective shit straight. I used a bicycle exclusively for 5 years in DALLAS. Dallas traffic makes Madison traffic look smooth. I can count on one hand the number of altercations, flip-offs and honked horns during that time... I can match that in one day here in Madison.

BTW... some of us cyclists will rip your mirror off if you get close enough. and you'll look pretty stupid with it sticking out of your ass.
Twinner
Forum Addict

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking