MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Taylor Swift question

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Taylor Swift question

Postby minicat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Seriously ... what makes her music country? I haven't caught a hint of country anywhere in the songs I've heard. I know C+W radio has been largely reconstituted '70s rock for awhile, but has it really strayed this far afield?

And Lady Antebellum? That song on the Grannys last night was '70s Jackson Browne with harmony vocals.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Taylor Swift question

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:43 pm

They make a Country version and a pop version of most of her tunes. The country version has some steel guitar in it. The pop has deeper drum tones. I think you may have been mostly exposed to the pop versions.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 pm

I was wondering the same thing about Swift. The performance I saw a couple nights ago was really good, but NOT country music. Some song where she repeats "back up, baby, back up ... ". This was the first I'd ever seen her perform. I thought she was doing it to a pre-recorded track, but lo-and-behold the camera pans over to the side stage and there's some prefect band sounding just like a karaoke machine. Made me want sing the Swift song at Gomeroke. <kidding>
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:57 pm

I loved the bit in Taylor Swift's acceptance speech that went something like:

"And thanks to my label for letting me write all the songs on my album."

Stevie Nicks sounded better singing on T.S.'s song than vice-versa.

All-in-all, the worst Grammys I can remember. They've apparently swung back to taking themselves too seriously again. No MIA + Lil' Wayne. Instead we get T Pain + Jamie Foxx. And that Pink number, whatever she's doing.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:07 pm

I enjoy looking at the red carpetbomb photos the next day and reading the snarky fashion comments. I had a feeling this year's Gramz was lacking class when two of the photos featured greasers from "Jersey Shore" (The Situation & Snooki).
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:They make a Country version and a pop version of most of her tunes. The country version has some steel guitar in it. The pop has deeper drum tones. I think you may have been mostly exposed to the pop versions.

Aaah. So she's being Shaniazized. That makes sense.

The only great performance of the night was Lady Gaga and Elton John. That was absolutely awesome. Otherwise, most of the big production numbers were as flat as Swift's harmony singing or just an absolutely confounding clash of inappropriate elements.

Beyonce randomly breaking into "You Oughta Know" and then just as randomly transitioning to a stripper dance was truly bizarre. So were all the cheesy robot or future-military-esque costumes.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Didn't catch it. This pretty much sums up my attitude toward the whole affair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMoJ0ZjEI3s
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:41 pm

minicat wrote:
The only great performance of the night was Lady Gaga and Elton John.

Not you too? You've lost a buttload of credibility with me by boarding the Gaga Train. You will be mocked, and soon.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:55 pm

minicat wrote:Seriously ... what makes her music country?

Authenticity disputes in country music are as old as country music itself. (Drums on the Grand Ole Opry?!?!?!?!) I stopped worrying about it.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
minicat wrote:
The only great performance of the night was Lady Gaga and Elton John.

Not you too? You've lost a buttload of credibility with me by boarding the Gaga Train. You will be mocked, and soon.

Dude, when don't you mock half of the music I like?

In the case of Gaga I'm not on the train, but I'm intrigued enough to approach the station. Did you see last night's performance? It's the only time I've ever seen something mocking the entire concept of the Grannys opening the broadcast. It almost singlehandedly justified the existence of the other three hours.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:14 pm

The Grammys are still televised and people still care? And who is Taylor Swift? I've heard the name Gaga but never any of her product.

You guys can hash out all this crap. I'm going to listen to my Jolson wax cylinders on my Edisonphone. He never showed boobs to drive sales. Besides, real music was snuffed out by the Hawaiian guitar, anyway.

Hey Wagstaff, are my Caruso cylinders in yet?
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:19 pm

minicat wrote:Dude, when don't you mock half of the music I like?

When I'm praising the other half?

minicat wrote:Did you see last night's performance?

Yep -- watched it before I responded to your post. Wouldn't want to bash something I hadn't seen... that would be wrong.

minicat wrote: It's the only time I've ever seen something mocking the entire concept of the Grannys opening the broadcast.
I guess I don't get it. How was that mocking anything? Seemed like the standard "Look at me, I'm a crazy self-referential bi-yatch in a wacky outfit!" performance that Gaga always puts on except she tipped her hat to Elton, an obvious inspiration. The difference is that Elton wrote good songs. Without the visuals, Gaga just plain sucks.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: Without the visuals, Gaga just plain sucks.

I'm assuming that's the case, which is why I haven't gone out of my way to listen to any of it sans seeing the crazy show as well. But the crazy show was pretty awesome.

Either way, it was more impressive than anything else on that craptacular. As an aging curmudgeon, I feel much more confident in taking shots at the crappy state of popular music if I've actually been subjected to what it's become at least once a year.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:32 pm

minicat wrote:But the crazy show was pretty awesome.

Maybe so, but I prefer my crazy coupled with good music. Her crazy's got nothing on P.Funk, and they at least have the good taste to be an amazing band.
minicat wrote:Either way, it was more impressive than anything else on that craptacular.

I'll have to take your word for it. If that was the best the night had to offer, there's no way in hell I'm YouTubing any of the rest of it.
minicat wrote: As an aging curmudgeon, I feel much more confident in taking shots at the crappy state of popular music if I've actually been subjected to what it's become at least once a year.

Fair enough, but I doubt the Grammy's were ever a particularly good indication of what's really out there. I mean, you love '60s music but I doubt you would have been impressed with Grammy performances from that era, what with them mostly being along the lines of Petula Clark and movie musicals.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:35 pm

minicat wrote:As an aging curmudgeon, I feel much more confident in taking shots at the crappy state of popular music if I've actually been subjected to what it's become at least once a year.

Oh sure - disparage the hard work of generations of curmudgeons who went before you who found it sufficient to simply complain loudly about the noise.
What, you mean actually listen to that stuff?
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to General Music