MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
breese stevens field
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Rahm Emmanuel "F*cking Retarded"

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Rahm Emmanuel "F*cking Retarded"

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Of course retards everywhere were offended. Including known fucktard Sarah Palin.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl1101
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rahm Emmanuel "F*cking Retarded"

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:25 pm

She has a retarded child.

More leftist "compassion".
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm offended by your use of the term "retard". Palins child is handicapped. Palin is retarded. See the difference? When referring to a literal handicapped or disabled person "retard" is offensive. When referring to someone who's just plain dumb "retard" is appropriate. At least in my book.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:39 pm

PC people like Palin will not rest until they control every single word that comes out of people's mouths. These elitists think that if they can change the language that people use through threats and intimidation, then they can change the way individuals act and thus change society. They are a bunch of Marxists.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:43 pm

"Retarded" does have a negative connotation- but why? I seem to remember discussing retarded ignition timing when working on my old Ford Falcon. (The car didn't seem to care) In this case, Rahm was NOT referring to an individual, but rather using an expression that happens to offend some. If he had said "That is fucking stupid", would those citizens with a low IQ have a right to be offended? I don't think so.

Mentally retarded, developmentally disabled, slow, different...

All seem okay to me, as long as there is no intent to disparage or demean. (Now "fucktard" may be a different case.) I know several elderly people who still use the term "colored" when referring to African American individuals. Do they mean to insult? I don't think so. They may be guilty of being behind the times or ignorant of the latest social norms, but is that so bad? We'll all be there someday...
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:49 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

I'm offended by your use of the term "retard". Palins child is handicapped. Palin is retarded. See the difference? When referring to a literal handicapped or disabled person "retard" is offensive. When referring to someone who's just plain dumb "retard" is appropriate. At least in my book.

Awesome!!

Wasn't Palin quoted calling Obama "sambo?" And in Levi Johnston's piece, he cited times where she made fun of her own kid – opting to hold her grandchild instead of her own baby because of his disability.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:03 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:She has a retarded child.

Flanders is right:
"Levi Johnston Claims Sarah Palin Regularly Called Trig 'Retarded'"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO_kaFjoJQQ
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:22 pm

Descriptive words often become pejoratives over time. It often has to do with the context in which they are delivered. It's all part of the pragmatics of speech.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:More leftist "compassion"

And more Flanders hypocrisy.
I mean, over the last several years you've posted countless times decrying liberals for being too PC.
I'm sure you'll try to spin your way out of it, but either policing the words people use is wrong or it ain't. Choose wisely.

My take:
People have to allow themselves to be offended by such language. It's really not hard to just let this kinda thing roll off your back. If you focus only on words and not context, not only will you constantly be offended, you'll more often than not miss the point of what was said. There are very few words which are inherently inappropriate, but there are lots of inappropriate speakers.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:56 pm

So does this mean I can call things "retarded" or people "retards" now? That's really what's important here.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

So does this mean I can call things "retarded" or people "retards" now? That's really what's important here.

As long as you're not using it as a derogatory towards someone with a legitimate disability, like Ned here was doing, I'm fine with it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:05 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

As long as you're not using it as a derogatory towards someone with a legitimate disability, like Ned here was doing, I'm fine with it.

Yessss! Here goes: Fisticuffs, you are retarded.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Fisticuffs, you are retarded.

I've always thought of myself more as "special" at least that's what my mom, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers and employers always told me.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:08 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

I gotta say, I don't have any problem with Ned's usage either.
Not sure how or why the term "retarded" came to be so detested by advocates of the mentally handicapped, but to my ears, "mentally handicapped" sounds much worse. Can someone explain why the term is so reviled in the first place and why mentally handicapped is supposed to be better? Like I said earlier, if you go looking for words to be offended by...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:08 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:

Yessss! Here goes: Fisticuffs, you are retarded.

Ha! Nice setup.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines