MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 14.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Why to be a Saints fan this week (probably not why you think

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Why to be a Saints fan this week (probably not why you think

Postby crevice beatle » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Ok, I've had enough with all the strories of resilience in the face of overwhelming hardship and how a New Orleans victory would make for the feel good sports story of the year. My heart continues to go out to the people who are still rebuilding their lives in the wake of Katrina - and I see this may seem like an admirable justification to cheer on the Saints this Sunday... but I think this sort of reasoning should only be secondary.

The primary motivation for cheering on the Saints should be the fact that if they win, they will add to the list of teams that have at least one Superbowl Title under their belt... and further whittle away from the list of teams that do not - - - thus bringing another step closer to the inevitability that one day, the Minnesota Vikings will be the only team in the NFL to have never won a Superbowl.
Last edited by crevice beatle on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Re: Why to be a Saints fan this week (probably not why you think

Postby supaunknown » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Where's the "like" button? Cuz I do.
Go Saints!
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minnow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:24 pm

I say, Go Saints. Not because I like them, they are cheats. But I really want Peyton Manning to fail. He was pushed into the MVP spot by politics and it would be so nice to have him lose.
minnow
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:01 pm

minnow wrote: He was pushed into the MVP spot by politics and it would be so nice to have him lose.

I don't care for Peyton Manning, he seems kinda uninteresting and arrogant, so I won't stand in the way of your "Death to Peyton" campaign. But politics? He is playing at such a high level. I think he is the best QB of the era.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:14 pm

Huckleby wrote:I don't care for Peyton Manning, he seems kinda uninteresting and arrogant...

So have you seen this? I kinda like the dude, but I'm an NFC fan so I'm rooting for the Saints.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:24 pm

that was really funny
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:51 pm

crevice beatle wrote:thus bringing another step closer to the inevitability that one day, the Minnesota Vikings will be the only team in the NFL to have never won a Superbowl.

You do realize the fatal flaw in your plan?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:48 am

Bad Gradger wrote:
crevice beatle wrote:thus bringing another step closer to the inevitability that one day, the Minnesota Vikings will be the only team in the NFL to have never won a Superbowl.

You do realize the fatal flaw in your plan?

I have considered this and while I realize the extreme unlikelihood of Detroit winning a Superbowl, it will make the actuality of when they do manage to nab one before Minnesota all the sweeter. At the very least, one day we may very well be saying, "The Minnesota Vikings and the Detroit Lions are the only teams who have never won a Superbowl" - - - this should be almost equally as embarrassing for Vikings fans.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:29 am

It will give me great pleasure to watch the Saints try to win, despite the Kardashian/Jenner connection that is being pushed in the Miami media this week.

If they lose, I will be in New Orleans any way, so drowning sorrows with the hard core fans will be as interesting as watching them kick Peyton's ass might be.

I loved what Sharper and the defense did to Brett......

AND there's the added drama of Peyton's dad announcing that he's rooting against his former team to cheer on his son, while Eli looks on. Some of the Mannings are friends with the Breeses, too. I can't remember this much of a soap opera in any recent Super Bowl.

My favorite story so far is how Mrs. Manning had to keep the kids from putting paper bags over their heads and booing with the rest of the fans back in the day when Archie was quarterbacking the 'Aints.

Geaux Saints!
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:08 am

kiwiwannabe wrote:I loved what Sharper and the defense did to Brett......

Despite the league's attempt to make them almost untouchable, the Saint's have figured out that pummeling the opposition's quarterback, including late hits and shots to the knees, is well worth the penelties and fines. This Sunday, the key to the game will be the play of the Colt's offensive lineman. If you see them squaring up to the Saint's pass rushers and blitzers, game over. Colts win big.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking