MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Out with JT Whitney and in with... What?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Out with JT Whitney and in with... What?

Postby Adam Powell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:02 am

-
Last edited by Adam Powell on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby TheSyndicate » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Drove by the new Vintage Brewing Company tonight and saw people smoking outside, TV's on,etc. - a sign outside said that they were having a friends and family night and that they should be open next week sometime.
TheSyndicate

Postby wallrock » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 am

TheSyndicate wrote:Drove by the new Vintage Brewing Company tonight and saw people smoking outside, TV's on,etc. - a sign outside said that they were having a friends and family night and that they should be open next week sometime.

Saw that too. I'm glad to see they're up and running, as I'd been given a soft open date of early last month when I'd previously swung by to pick up my old mug. After December came and went I was a bit nervous that something had fallen through.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:20 pm

Rode by on Saturday and noticed that the lot had several cars parked. Talked to a guy who was working on the sign, and he said they'd be opening in a week.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:32 pm

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby feh23 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:54 pm

supaunknown wrote:Image

I miss that place so much, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as good as I remember. It's just another thing that's clouded by the rosy haze of childhood... Speaking of which, anyone remember Heritage House Smorgasboard out on East Wash? That was the other place we'd go to with my Grandparents when they came to town.
feh23

Postby jjoyce » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:37 am

I'm told this place, Vintage Brewery, is now open. I'll be looking to get in there this week to test the full range of amenities for a basketball game.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:36 pm

Went in for a couple drinks the other night. It seems like they did a good job of remodeling. The floor plan for the big stuff is somewhat similar, which probably saved them a ton of money vs. gutting everything. In general, it looks a ton improved. Hope to dine there this week.

Overall decor looks like they are looking for a crowd with a few more piercings and a few less beards than the Whitney's regulars (of which I was one). Staff all seemed pretty friendly.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:22 pm

My wife and I dined there last night. The decor and layout is better than JT Whitney's, and it had a warmer feel to it. The menu seems much more limited than the original Vintage....at least what's shown on the web. The service was good, and the food was OK. I liked my mushroom and swiss burger, and it was done medium as I'd asked. I could not discern any spice in the "spicy" waffle fries, and would not likely get them again. We were given some freshly baked bread.....3 pieces of different varieties that we shared, and those were good.

The beer list was OK. At least they had Ale Asylum Hopalicious and Lake Louie Warped Speed on tap, plus a couple of New Glarus offerings. I really won't know if I'll frequent the place until I have a chance to try their in-house beers. Based on our first visit, it would rate an occasional visit primarily because we live nearby. Nice place, but Madison has a lot of those.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bones78 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:51 am

gargantua wrote:The beer list was OK. At least they had Ale Asylum Hopalicious and Lake Louie Warped Speed on tap, plus a couple of New Glarus offerings. I really won't know if I'll frequent the place until I have a chance to try their in-house beers.

Are we to understand that they are not serving their own beer yet?
Bones78

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:05 pm

Bones78 wrote:Are we to understand that they are not serving their own beer yet?

Correct.

http://www.avclub.com/madison/articles/ ... adi,37276/
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheSyndicate » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Completely concur with gargantua's take. My wife and I thought it was just OK. I had the fish and chips and my wife had the ribs. The ribs were properly cooked and tasty but nothing special and the cornbread was a bit too like the Sahara to be enjoyed. The fish was good - crispy and not at all greasy. The cheese curds were average. Was disappointed that they didn't have any of their own beer but I look forward to going back and trying them.

Though we weren't blown away we though it was way better than JT Whitney's which we both thought was pretty awful.
TheSyndicate

Check to see if they are open

Postby kulgar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Stopped by the other afternoon and don't think they open during the week until 4PM or so. Odd for a pub...
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby beenie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:25 pm

We went a couple of weeks ago and it was... meh.

I loved that they had Raspberry Tart on tap (I don't venture much beyond lambics and ciders), but the food was nothing exciting. The smoked salmon dip was very tasty, but my shrimp and gnocchi was VERY bland and the other half didn't seem overly enthused about his cassoulet (he brought his leftovers home, and I believe the box went untouched).

I really wanted to like it - I like the new decor, and I was excited to see the Tart, but I just can't see myself dropping the cash to eat there again.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Yeah, but see here's the thing: There are no decent places out there for a burger and a beer. Babe's? Okay, but only if you're looking for a sports bar. Otherwise it's Quivey's stable bar, Bennett's, BW-3 by Target... see what I'm saying?

One person's limited menu is another person's focusing on what they do well. I'd rather survey a smaller menu than a six-page monster with no focus.

My only beef with the place is that it's a little pricey. They have buck pool, which is nice, and I can see spending an afternoon there watching hoops and shooting pool with a few beers. There is no other option for that in the area.

As much as I'd like there to be a Harmony Bar two blocks from my house, I'll take this new Vintage in its spot if only so I have a really close option for hanging out. The interior is really comfortable and inviting and who doesn't love a bar with an aquarium?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews