MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Who's On Half

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Who's On Half

Postby Maeve » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:31 pm

Eew.
Not so meaty beaty big and bouncy anymore.
Betty White looks better.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Re: Who's On Half

Postby donges » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:00 pm

It was really weak, unfortunately.
I was hoping for much more, but they just couldn't pull it off. Pete seemed to really have no idea what he was doing and the high notes just weren't there any longer for Daltry.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Yeah, who are they indeed? There's only two of 'em.

Say! I know two guys who play bass and drums, respectively. Anybody got Ringo's number?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Both are in their mid 60s. Do they still sing My Generation? "Hope I die before I get old."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:39 pm

It's okay to age.
Blues musicians often do it beautifully.
It's the same old, same old -- gets icky.
Cashing a paycheck can get ugly.
I loved The Who, when they were on first.
Who thought bringing poor old Pete and Roger out and dusting them off was a good idea? Eew.
Sunset Boulevard.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby doppel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:18 am

LOL. Pinball wizard. Obviously aimed at an older demographic. The youth of today, have never seen a pinball machine. Reminds me of a time a few years ago when a visiting friend asked his seven year old to call home and "tell your mother we'll be a little late." The little nipper took one look at the rotary phone (being used as a emergency spare) and asked "What do you do?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:12 am

My disappointment would have been greatly diminished by the addition of one simple word.

Would it have killed you to sing "Who the fuck are you," Roger?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:17 am

When they came on I just happened to be standing in my friends rec room......playing pinball. I didn't know they were playing the half, I don't even watch the game, but suddenly for a brief second, I was the focus of the party! All eyes were on me and I WAS......the Wizard.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:25 pm

"Won't Get Fooled Again" "...meet the new boss, same as the old boss" hmmm
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Sadly, they stunk. Neither Daltrey nor Townsend could sing a note. The medleys were haphazardly arranged as a brief retrospective of their hits and hooks, or maybe they're now strictly accustomed to hearing all their songs played as 30 second jingles? Ouch.

A little guitar smashy-smashy might've actually helped.

I did like the stage lighting. Very Guitar Hero.

They're still one of the greatest bands I've ever seen live. I'll try to conjure that memory instead of this one.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:06 pm

If only they'd done that "Little Billy Didn't Mind / Uncle Ernie / The Dirty Jobs" medley instead, it would have been a whole different matter.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Yeah, I thought they stunk, though they weren't so bad that everyone will talk about it for weeks to come.

Frankly, they seemed like a big step down from the lineup the Superbowl has had in the last few years...Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Tom Petty & U2. (I'm missing someone in there but can't remember who.)

I know a bunch of you guys like the Who, but I don't think they're as popular with the football crowd as these other acts. What I want to do know is, why have they not had Bon Jovi or John Melloncamp in there? These two acts seem like no-brainers to me.

Also - was it just me, or was that Jay-Z commercial way cooler than the Who show? What would it take for the Superbowl to book Jay-Z? He is presumably the only rapper that they'd consider "big enough" to book, and man, that'd be awesome.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:20 pm

I liked it! The "altered arrangements" hiding the notes they could no longer hit were quite noticeable, but they were still a blast. Made me wonder what popular group today will be performing during Superbowl LXXIV.

I also appreciated the way they used Who songs throughout the game during promos and what not. Sort of tied the whole room together.

But I could have done without the announcers repeatedly telling me to "stay tuned" for the halftime show before the first quarter had even ended.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 pm

rrnate wrote:Frankly, they seemed like a big step down from the lineup the Superbowl has had in the last few years...Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Tom Petty & U2. (I'm missing someone in there but can't remember who.)

Blues Brothers 2000? *shudder*

I don't think they would've seemed like a step down if they would've actually performed well. The Who has a long history of playing monstrous stadium shows but they totally phoned this one in.

The Boss brought the good times last year.

Here's a list of previous shows.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:34 pm

It worked well as a big performance art scam, which is one of the points of the Who. These negative reactions are part of the art. Read any Pete Townshend interview. The hynpotized never lie -- do you?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking