MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Who's On Half

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Who's On Half

Postby chainsawcurtis » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm a Who fan for 45 years or so, so I dug it but let's face they are getting a little crochety. Woulda been fun to see Pete smash a perfectly good guitar though.

Thanks for the list link. I definitely think next year - ZZ Top. I know they've done one before but that was them riding around on a hay wagon lip syncing. These guys could certainly do a Superbowl justice. Cars, girls, lots of girls, rockin' thumpin' tunes. What more do you want?
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 pm

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Was anyone else disturbed by Pete's wardrobe malfunction?

You have no idea how traumatized I am by Pete Townsend's pasty belly. Who wants to start a class action lawsuit with me?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby amotor » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:42 pm

rrnate wrote:Was anyone else disturbed by Pete's wardrobe malfunction?

My wife mentioned that to me. She said it kinda reminded her of me playing guitar with my fat gut hanging out.
amotor
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:25 pm

rrnate wrote:You have no idea how traumatized I am by Pete Townsend's pasty belly. Who wants to start a class action lawsuit with me?

Good luck with that. My identical suit against George Thorogood has been meandering it's way through the courts since 1986.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Read who?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:45 pm

amotor wrote:

My wife mentioned that to me. She said it kinda reminded her of me playing guitar with my fat gut hanging out.

To your credit, you keep your arms down. Pete's combined "unbutton the bottom half of this shirt to let the freak paunch fly" / "try to be exciting by raising arms over head" move is not what America needs right now.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:04 pm

rrnate wrote:
amotor wrote:

To your credit, you keep your arms down. Pete's combined "unbutton the bottom half of this shirt to let the freak paunch fly" / "try to be exciting by raising arms over head" move is not what America needs right now.

Or is it EXACTLY what America needs right now?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm probably the biggest Who fan I know and I thought it was really boring. When I was a teenager I got all fired up about "Live at Leeds." And when they finally released the whole concert a while back I was still pretty excited. Then the live shows started to roll out of the vault and I realized that they've been doing the same songs and virtually the same set list for 40 years now (I guess they did mix it up when they toured for Quadrophenia) and while those songs are great, FM radio has destroyed them. Roger can't really sing that well anymore but I didn't expect him to. Pete's voice still sounds about the same where if he focused a bit more he might hit the pitches a bit better. Who were all those other dudes on stage? I expect Pino Palladino and the keyboard player but there were at least two other guys doing something there. Also thought it was odd that the keyboard player was pretending to play the synth riff from "Won't Get Fooled Again." That's been on tape for the stage shows since '71.

I guess Ringo's kid is a good drummer and a sharp dresser. Nice cymbals too. Funny that at 44 he's probably the youngest person on stage.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 am

meowzamusic wrote:Also thought it was odd that the keyboard player was pretending to play the synth riff from "Won't Get Fooled Again." That's been on tape for the stage shows since '71.

Watching Live Aid in 1985, I was slightly embarrassed for Rabbit Bundrick when a closeup showed him doing exactly that. All these years later, I guess he's still doing it.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking