MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Another Bloody Mary thread...

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Another Bloody Mary thread...

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Back in '73 or '74 I was playing in a band and our agent sent us for a couple of nights to a little bar called the Tropical Pub North close to Belleayer Mountain in the Catskills. When we asked where a good place for dinner was the owner, "Bloody" George Pappa, sent us to Mary's Place
down in the little village on the highway that ran by the mountain.

It was a house on a residential back street that had no sign, just a porch light.

Knock on the door, "Uh, hi. George sent us down for dinner?"

Mary was about sixty. Small and thin with grey hair pulled back and wearing an apron."Come on in boys!"

Her house had a front room that had four small tables on a hardwood floor. The walls were papered and on one side hung a Jesus praying and on the other side hung a JFK portrait. Lighting was floor lamps in the front room and a chandelier in the living room. Through a proscenium like doorway you could see the living room where there were a couple of more larger dining room tables and you could see into the kitchen. There were two home ranges side by side with pots of water boiling and steaming sauce. A long table in the back of the living room has fresh vegetables ready to be chopped for salads. The dining tables were set with cloths and cloth napkins with what my mom would have called daily silver ware.

The aroma of garlic and oregano was a sledgehammer to the nose. Three were four of us and Mary said, "Sit, sit."

She had no menus. "I've got lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs and baked manicotti. Salad and bread comes with." George had told us to bring what we wanted to drink and we had a grocery bag with beer and pop in it.

Dinner was outstanding. It was not what you would call special in a culinary sense. It was just great home cooking. We all had spaghetti and we split orders of the manicotti and lasagna. Dinner for four was about fifteen bucks. No other customers had dinner while we were there.

But that's not the reason for the post.

Bloody George was so called because all he drank was Bloody Marys. He was absolutely adamant about the ingredients. Sixteen ounce shaker with a lot of ice, generous shot of vodka, lots of Worcestershire sauce, lots of Tabasco, salt, pepper, tomato juice. Shake with a steel top and pour it back in the glass. On the top squeeze in the juice from a quarter of a lime. Run the rind of the lime around the rim and throw it away. Drink.

"No vegetables! You want a salad? Order a salad! Horseradish? Too many chunks!"

The Tropical Pub North was a tiny place that had a square bar in the center of the room ringed with about thirty stools. We were set up in a small alcove off to the side. After the first set on Friday night I'm in the bathroom and there's George taking his clothes off. He puts his index finger to his lips in a shushing motion and proceeds to streak his own bar to wild patron approval.

I've noticed that here in Wisconsin people are putting everything but the kitchen sink in Bloody Marys - marinated mushrooms, pickles, celery, even shrimp down at Porter's in Crystal Lake, IL - but I find that even after all these years I still like George's basic recipe. Hot, dark, lime juice on top, no salad (actually the shrimp was pretty good). Not being a Tabasco fan I use Frank's. I'm willing to expand my horizons a little but the bar across the street from me isn't open 'til 2pm. What's good? Gin? Tequila? Beer on the side? Right in with the cocktail? Dark beer on the side?
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Re: Another Bloody Mary thread...

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm no expert, but the tequila option really sounds intriguing. As for the dark beer....maybe a nice porter would go well.

Thank you for putting me in the mood for a good Bloody......
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:54 am

Tequila makes it a Bloody Maria. Dark beer(stout or porter) ain't bad, inside or out. Horseradish is a must.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:51 am

I like Hendricks Gin in my bloody. No tequila, blech. I prefer a light beer on the side. Nothin fancy. Pabst works just fine. Mickey's tavern makes a wicked bloody. Many pickled items in the drink which I like.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:37 pm

The Bloody Mary is pretty much the only time I ever drink vodka.

Tequila or gin? Bleaach.

I also prefer a lighter beer for a chaser; it shouldn't be too sweet. Miller High Life is actually a pretty good fit for this, although a Pacifico would be ideal.

The Glass Nickel puts a splash of Guiness in theirs. And Megan serves it to me with a banana pepper wrapped in slice of provolone cheese - but only because she likes me.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby prenticeberge » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Blodiga Maria at Magnus (disclosure - I am brother of the owners). Bartender Brian H. and my bro Finn started this one a few weeks ago.The main alcohol is Akavit(Aquavit) and the garnish is pickled herring, gjetost(norwegian brown cheese), salmon stuffed olive, fennel frond and slices of cucumber. Garnished with smoked sea salt.

I had one on Sunday at the Scandinavian Brunch and really liked it.
prenticeberge

Postby Marsha Rummel » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:08 pm

That's sounds really good Prentice....I'll have to stop by soon!

I had occasion to go to BonFyre recently and they had a rather spectacular 32oz bloody mary with the usual pickled and raw veggies ....and string cheese and a spicy beef stick.
Marsha Rummel

Postby Pogoagogo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:22 am

The Blodiga Maria at Magnus was excellent. I had the fortunate experience this past Sunday. I totally forgot about the smoked salt, and after eschewing the straw for a proper gulp from the rim was pleasantly surprised. An good drink suddenly became incredible! I hope it stays on the menu.

I'm also hoping that brunch continues in some form, even if it is just a few weekends per year to celebrate the seasons and or holidays.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby babelfish » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:41 pm

mickey's or oakcrest tavern

or make your own using hemingway's recipe
babelfish

Postby kweetech » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:55 pm

drive to Point and go to Rusty's Backwater Saloon.
Don"t forget to ask for the meat straw
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 pm

tomato juice
ice
cracked pepper
olive juice
pickle juice
hot sauce (e.g., Cholula)
Ketel One or Belvedre

shake with ice
pour into pint glass with ice
garnish with pickle and 2 olives
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 pm

boston_jeff wrote:tomato juice
ice
cracked pepper
olive juice
pickle juice
hot sauce (e.g., Cholula)
Ketel One or Belvedre

shake with ice
pour into pint glass with ice
garnish with pickle and 2 olives

No Worcestershire? And too much "juice" Sorry, just my opinion.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:19 pm

Try one, then you will have an informed opinion.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:03 am

boston_jeff wrote:Try one, then you will have an informed opinion.

Fair enough. Do you have amounts of each of these or would you say it's more trial by error.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Just a dash of all other ingredients except the tomato juice, ice and vodka. I will have to try Worcestershire or horseradish instead of hot sauce in my recipe at some point. I've had lotsa different versions at bars and restaurants and I like most, but I really enjoy my own too.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails