MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Kickshaw

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Kickshaw

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:30 pm

I wouldn't lump Top Chef into whatever category of "reality show" gimmick Kickshaw grew out of.

I think it was supposed to be called "Help I'm a Crook and This Business Is Failing Badly Get Me Out Of Here" starring Chris Peterson.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:13 pm

The last two paragraphs of this:

http://madisonkidsactivities.com/daily/ ... icle=27029

lead me to believe there wasn't a contest or reality show after all. Just sayin'
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:30 pm

sydgrl wrote:In the case of Top Chef, some of the winners do open their own restaurants, Harold (1st season) owns a restaurant in NYC and Ilan (2nd season) has a place in LA. Several contestants on this and past seasons already owned their own restaurants and many are sous chefs/chefs de cuisine. So, I wouldn't lump Top Chef into whatever category of "reality show" gimmick Kickshaw grew out of.

True that. If the winner of this year's Top Chef(Michael Voltaggio) had been awarded Kickshaw, you wouldn't be able to keep me out of the place.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadisonFoodLuvr1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Wow. This city is funny.. the truth of all the information posted on so many restaurants here is moreover perused instead of READ. And the look of people talking about how snooty and uppity a lot of these places are and the former businesses "Mr Peterson's Mountain of Debt?"... Thta post screams of a formal disgruntled employee more than a restaurant patron... get over yourself dude.

The restaurant contest was a sham of you read the article and it shows more of a lack of investigating on the news person that didn't follow through on the contest. It apparantly was an idea. The chef there didn't know about it, and that would be a dumb reason to take a job anyway...IMHO.

A lot of posts here sound like hurtful angry people... fisticuffs posts might be from the he woman who won the contest but quit after she couldn't handle it.

As per Bikini "chef".... the pom pompous attitude of how much you "know".... the leek wrapped whatever they are serving has been done before.... email me if you want to know *WHY* :/

That can be seen all over youtube....originality? Not so much... but "why" is the question to ask....

The place was packed last Saturday I was there and I KNOW the snooty end of things at that place has exited.

If you have a heart (I know most of the banal boring posts here have no soul....) check it out.

Tweaks and adjustments are to be expected in a new restaurant that is only 3 months old.... shame on you people, this is a cool place. AND when you rip on a new gig in town, do you think it may affect the 40 or so independent farmers that the place is supporting?

The Peterson fellow couldn't make kickshaw work, but it doesn't seem to be turning people away from Pancake cafe where he is now... :P
MadisonFoodLuvr1

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:39 pm

I'm a foodie who has a heart and a soul-- which is why I hesitated, then refrained from posting [in the Restaurant Week thread] the full diatribe of a review I had composed in my head about Kickshaw after dining there during Restaurant Week. I'll still refrain, but I will say that my boyfriend, daughter and I agreed unanimously that we'd never go back. The only positive thing I could say about the experience was that the hosts and the waiter were sweet and apologetic (although the waiter didn't really seem to know much about the food, or the wine). And, although the decor is not my style, I think the space is put together nicely.

From MadisonFoodLuvr1's post it seems perhaps the backstory is misreported/misunderstood. That's unfortunate-- but although a new restaurant does understandably have to work out the kinks, consistency is key.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Restaurant Week: Monday 6PM

Postby kulgar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 pm

I was very pleasantly surprised. Not over spiced, not over priced (but then again it was Restaurant Week and I didn't see the full menu). The herbed chicken was delicious, delicately flavored, not buried in salt and spice. The wine list isn't as bad as Ruth's Chris or Bonfyre which seem to equate BIG new world wines with all Wisconsin tastes, altho it was new world heavy.

Not busy which surprised me during Restaurant Week and the waitress (Jesse) was a delight. Prompt and efficient and had time to chat briefly given the light crowd. No attitude at all, not like L'Etoile in the 80s when they made even the Governor feel small. (Well, actually he was.)

There are so many restaurants but the food was good, you can chose that huge bar, booths or tables and I'd recommend it over what appears to be Great Dane Plus with Bonfyre and it's majestic view of black snow on the Beltline shoulder. Given the location, it's an option to Quivey's Stone House if you are out on the southwest side of Madtown.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:18 pm

MadisonFoodLuvr1 wrote:Wow. This city is funny.. the truth of all the information posted on so many restaurants here is moreover perused instead of READ. And the look of people talking about how snooty and uppity a lot of these places are and the former businesses "Mr Peterson's Mountain of Debt?"... Thta post screams of a formal disgruntled employee more than a restaurant patron...

So, you're an employee? Manager?
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:31 am

Refresh my memory: Isn't the place inundated with big-screen TV's?
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:26 pm

AaronTheSnob wrote:Refresh my memory: Isn't the place inundated with big-screen TV's?

Perhaps, but you might be thinking of Scatz in Middleton.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:37 pm

AaronTheSnob wrote:Refresh my memory: Isn't the place inundated with big-screen TV's?

I think there may be a few, but to be honest I really didn't notice them when I was there with 7 other friends during Restaurant Week. So if they're there, they were not obtrusive. As for the food, I thought it was OK, and we were very satisfied with the service. Not on the top of our list, but if some friends wanted to go there on a night out, we wouldn't try to talk them out of it.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:37 pm

HeyZeus wrote:
MadisonFoodLuvr1 wrote:Wow. This city is funny.. the truth of all the information posted on so many restaurants here is moreover perused instead of READ. And the look of people talking about how snooty and uppity a lot of these places are and the former businesses "Mr Peterson's Mountain of Debt?"... Thta post screams of a formal disgruntled employee more than a restaurant patron...

Based on the frenzied nature of the prose involved, I'm guessing 'coke dealer.'

I mean, what's a 'formal disgruntled employee?' One who wears a cummerbund while going on his shooting rampage?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Marvell wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:

Based on the frenzied nature of the prose involved, I'm guessing 'coke dealer.'

I mean, what's a 'formal disgruntled employee?' One who wears a cummerbund while going on his shooting rampage?

Well, spelling error aside. In 2010, who thinks that anyone in a forum isn't wise to a newbie who comes in and starts dealing on the forum in their first post?

Probably Kickshaw's manager.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:40 pm

'Farmer disgruntled employee' would be a spelling error.

'Formal disgruntled employee' is evidence of some kind of brain condition.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:46 pm

"Won't somebody think of the farmers?" in the restaurant thread =

"Won't somebody think of the children?" in the politics threads.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:26 pm

MadisonFoodLuvr1 wrote:Wow. This city is funny.. the truth of all the information posted on so many restaurants here is moreover perused instead of READ.

pe⋅ruse
  /pəˈruz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [puh-rooz] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), -rused, -rus⋅ing.
1. to read through with thoroughness or care: to peruse a report.
2. to read.
3. to survey or examine in detail.
towanda
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews