MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Tasty Beer

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Tasty Beer

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:16 pm

I love Yuengling and Fat Tire Amber because I drink them whenever I am in those regions and I agree that both SC and FTA are gateway beers to other better beers. As exemplars I go with Fat Tire and Yuengling vs. SC. IMO they are better beers than SC because they are amber ales and are more emblematic of what your average beer tastes like.

SC tastes too sweet and its not the best approximation of a farmhouse ale. I would think Naked should be the NG gateway beer. Maybe the name has something to do with it...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:58 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Abita Turbodog and Sprecher Black Bavarian are a couple other go-to's for me.

Yes and Yes! I knocked back my fair share of Turbodogs during my trip down to New Orleans last month. Abita's Jockamo IPA was pretty good too. There's another local brewery down there called NOLA that makes some excellent stuff too. Their Hopitoulas IPA was probably my favorite of the trip. I was pretty surprised to see how well received craft beer has become on the Gulf Coast. A few years back you'd be lucky to find Abita in bottles at most bars outside of New Orleans, but now MS even has their own local micro.

Black Bavarian has been my favorite WI beer for years now. I'm a fan of most all beer styles but a good schwarzbier is unmatched in my opinion.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:40 pm

wallrock wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Abita Turbodog and Sprecher Black Bavarian are a couple other go-to's for me.

Yes and Yes! I knocked back my fair share of Turbodogs during my trip down to New Orleans last month.

FYI - it's currently on tap at The Harmony.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:46 pm

As is Black Bavarian at Brasserie V, if memory serves.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:24 pm

Love Abita beers!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:21 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Geez I wonder if you would think that if you weren't from here.

I would think that if I was from anywhere...I don't drink either fwiw

I did just pick up a couple 4 packs of Central Waters Bourbon Stout..one of my faves. Might need to get a couple more, and some more Hopslam, before they are gone...

Been in a real porter mood this winter...founders porter, contorter porter have really done me well.

The Bruery's Saison is nice to see here...excellent big bottle...
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Inspired by this thread: mixed 12-pack of Sam and 6er of Road Slush at Woodman's last night. 6er of Hopslam and a bottle of locally distilled horseradish infused vodka (ReferentVodka.com) from Star today. Had a Sam Noble Pils and a Road Slush last night, both amazing in very different ways (the Slush goes well with the Stephen Colbert flavor Ben and Jerry's btw). Horseradish vodka martini and a Hopslam planned for tonight, ooof. Will report back on both. Already thinking about that stuff in a Bloody Mary...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Definitely need to mix that horseradish vodka, Bloody Mary seems like a perfect solution. Hopslam was pretty enjoyable, but I'm not sure worth the price.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby babelfish » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:53 pm

I don't usually go for flavored beers, but I think Sunset Wheat does a decent job. Leinie's is good for the price, but could use more full flavored options. They used to like the Northwoods Lager, but that was discontinued. The seasonal 1888 Bock is pretty good. The Classic Amber and Creamy Dark are not as full flavored as I would like...but I guess that helps them appeal to a wide audience. Overall for the same price this is a better blue collar beer than Miller or Bud.

I agree with you on Spotted Cow, it's my least favorite NG beer...and a lot of people use that as their "adventurous" beer. I do however like NG's Crack'd Wheat and Organic Revolution, but I have trouble finding them by themselves...as opposed to part of a sample pack.
babelfish

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Woodman's for the NG sixers (or Star). I do enjoy a Leinie's Creamy Dark at Ho-Chunk on occasion.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kamrinjacobs » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:27 am

Hi Everyone,
I prefer Knock out only.
Its strong and testy.
I have tested it before 7 years and then after I have not changed this brand.
kamrinjacobs

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails