MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Thai Noodle Review

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Thai Noodle Review

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:56 pm

The Thai Noodle review (February 19, 2010) has some misinformation in it. The second-to-last paragraph has information for vegetarians and vegans. I don't think the author is aware of what of vegetarian or a vegan is. A vegetarian does not eat animals, including fish. Therefore, a vegetarian and a vegan would be concerned about the fish sauce and shrimp paste. A vegan does not eat animal or animal products such as milk, eggs, honey, etc. However, they will eat coconut milk. Coconut milk has no animal products in it. It looks like milk; it doesn't contain milk.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Re: Thai Noodle Review

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:02 pm

(facepalm)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:35 pm

But are they free-range coconuts?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:44 pm

I caught it too and commented on it in another thread. What kind of restaurant reviewer worth their salt does not know what constitutes vegetarian and vegan dishes, even if they are not personally vegetarian or vegan?
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby rutabagas » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:28 am

I started the thread in "Eats" - and was surprised that noboby else had started one yet. I was just looking in the wrong place, I see. :)

If the writer isn't familiar with the topic about which they are writing, shouldn't they have someone with more knowledge give it the ol' once over? Seems like this has been happening more and more with the widening pool of "food writers" in Isthmus.
rutabagas

Postby lolagirl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:32 pm

If the writer isn't familiar with the topic about which they are writing, shouldn't they have someone with more knowledge give it the ol' once over? Seems like this has been happening more and more with the widening pool of "food writers" in Isthmus.

Sadly, this is a common trait in Madison restaurant reviews, and not just in Isthmus. My personal favorite happened years ago in the State Journal. A reviewer was served an item that was served in a choux paste crust (choux paste is the stuff that cream puff outsides are made of). The writer, who clearly didn't know squat about they were eating, must have asked the server and then looked up the food item when they went home. They found the word's homophonic double - chou - which is french for cabbage. The review raved about the fantastic item that was served in a delicate baked shell made of cabbage.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:22 am

"Choux paste." Heh.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com