MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

iPhone/ iPod touch apps

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

iPhone/ iPod touch apps

Postby juice » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:16 am

I recently picked up an iPod touch, which I enjoy using very much. Just wondering what applications you people are using? I'm not much interested in paying for apps, so let's try to limit discussion of those unless absolutely necessary. Here's some good ones I've been using(many are simply website's apps in a more friendly format):

Facebook
Pandora
Phoneflicks- update Netflix on your iPod
Urbanspooon- find and rate restaurants, seen on early iPhone commercials
IMDB- internet movie database, phone version of imdb.com
craigsphone- craigslist on your phone
Fandango- buy tickets, check showtimes, find theaters, etc.
Google Earth
Wikipanion- wikipedia
iTranslate
Dictionary.com
Coin flip free - flips a coin for you
Convert units for free - converts about any type of measurement unit to another, ie: kilometers to miles, weeks to seconds, etc.
Shazam- also on a commercial, identifies songs for you
MyBoobs Free- I'm a man after all
AllRecipes DinnerSpinner - works with website, find recipes
Use Your Handwriting - similar to Notes app, but you use your finger as a pen
Wordwarp- similar to TextTwist on Yahoo Games, arrange six letters to form words. I paid 99 cents for the TextTwist app, and found they screwed up the original.
Dactyl- fun game, tap the screen quickly to defuse bombs
TapDefense- my favorite, similar to Tower Defense games found online
Marble Mash- tilt iPod to guide marble past holes to target, much like wooden games of old
Topple- use your finger and accelerometer to stack objects to a target level
Falling Balls- tilt iPod to move stick character out of danger's way
Bloons- paid 99 cents, well worth it. Look for this web-based game online and you'll be hooked.

Quite a few now that I write them down. Anything worthwhile that I'm missing?
juice

Re: iPhone/ iPod touch apps

Postby Beaver » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:14 pm

I haven't gotten one of these yet but I saw a study today that says 78% of iPod touch users are below the age of 25 compared to only 25% of iPhone users. Interesting age difference.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/26/surv ... for-women/
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:23 pm

On my first page:
WeatherBug (Weather Channel App sucked)
Road Trip LE (I've documented very drop of gas I've put into my car since I bought it)
Sportacular
CoPilot Directions (Free GPS. after 30 days it loses some features but still gets me from A to B)
Google (not for search but for a quick link to docs, voice etc.)
The rest are standard apps that came with the phone.
Also useful
Mint, i.TV (get rid of your phoneflix app and just use this)
ebay, amazon etc. Blue Fire (Stereo recording app meant for use with the Blue Mikey but works without it as well)
RemoteTap, Betty Crocker Cookbook, Epicurious.

Games: Any and all Tower Defense games. My fav right now is The Creeps but TapDefense, geoDefense (and Swarm), StarDefense is a little weaker, Tower Madness, Fieldrunners LuxDLX (Risk with many many maps), SimCity (great on the iPhone actually), Let's Golf!, Solebon.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juice » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks for the recommendation on i.TV. Great app, takes the place of Fandango and Phoneflicks, doing a better job than they did and more.

Tried some of the games you listed. File the missing persons report now, sorry to all my friends. SimCity is the best 3 dollars I've ever spent.
juice

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Then you'd better not fork out for Angry Birds, Canabalt, Mega Man II, iBomber, Doodle Jump, or Plants Vs. Zombies, or you'll really never surface.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juice » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:57 am

Tried some lite versions of yours TBP, some are great, some are meh. Definitely going to get plants vs zombies, just dl'ed a demo of the PC version, and 4 hours later I've come to tell about it. Hopefully it's of the same quality on the small screen. Doodle jump is ok fun, kinda gets old fast. iBomber was so-so, but I'd rather have BlueSkies. Might buy Megaman, might not. Angry birds is another possibilty, for similar fun you should try Crazy Penguins.
Right now I'm trying to ace every level of the creeps, and fighting air pollution in SimCity. Also, it seems to me that in every version of SimCity I've played, I've been petitioned to build a stadium before it's even available for building. What's the deal sims?
I need an intervention.
juice

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:08 pm

I don't understand what's so great about PvZ. Seems like an average TD game at best. I would never recommend it over fieldrunners or geodefense/gd swarm. I'm getting a lot of usage out of Catan. It has replaced Civ as my go-to game when I have 2-3 minutes to kill. Civ was decent for a while, but there were some UI shortcomings that really started to annoy me eventually.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juice » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Have you played PvZ? 49 plants, 26 zombies in the game. What's geodefense have? Pac-man and a star? Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed GD lite, but there's so much more unexpected in PvZ. Pole-vaulting zombies FFS!
juice

Postby Beaver » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Line2 app adds a second phone line to an iphone, or allows calls with an ipod touch. Service cost $15/mo.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/ar ... destep-att

The New York Times
For a little $1 iPhone app, Line2 sure has the potential to shake up an entire industry. It can save you money. It can make calls where AT&T's (T) signal is weak, like indoors. It can turn an iPod Touch into a full-blown cellphone...
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 am

Click on the iphone apps on this page to see why the iPhone and ipod touch are bad for the environment. But some of these apply to most electronic gadgets:

"Rechargeable batteries have energized demand for lithium. Getting more will mean digging up 3,000 square miles of pristine Bolivian salt flats, home to one-half of the world's lithium reserves."

http://motherjones.com/environment/2...ut-your-iphone
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:50 am

Beaver wrote:http://motherjones.com/environment/2...ut-your-iphone

When you copy and paste a URL from another forum, you need to copy the actual targeted URL, and not the abbreviated text that appears in the post.

http://motherjones.com/environment/2010/03/scary-truth-about-your-iphone
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games