MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Winter Games

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Winter Games

Postby Walter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Women's biathlon.

Super aerobically fit nordic hotties who can shoot.

Oh, yes, I'm watching.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:28 am
Location: Motorzburg

Re: Winter Games

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Waitaminute, you do pre-drinking before doing boots?

Yes and there some post drinking as well. Its a pretty Epic guys night out. It usually ends with someone throwing darts at someone else. Good times.
And yes we called Union Cab but a Madison Taxi got there first and we stole it from a group of frat boys. Cabbie was fine with our fare to West Mineral Point over the trip to Langdon.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Winter Games

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:07 pm

What I like: downhill skiing. More of that, please.

What I don't: Snowboarders in their jeans. That said, I hope Blaska is watching all those guys who are displaying inches of their drawers on every McTwist.

As for warming up pre-boots: Back when Nick's was on N. Hamilton, it was the ideal place to stop on the way to and from the Essen Haus. Those were hazy days/nights.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Winter Games

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:27 pm

jjoyce wrote:What I don't: Snowboarders in their jeans. That said, I hope Blaska is watching all those guys who are displaying inches of their drawers on every McTwist.

Both are tricks of the wardrobe. The US Men's Snowboard Team outfits are designed to look like flannel and denim, but aren't. And the Japanese Team's pants are designed very distinctly to look like they're riding low, but they're no lower than anyone else's. It's that red triangle on the ass that makes the waistline look lower than it actually is. That's not to say that the yoke of the pants isn't longer than on your pleat-front Dockers (zing!), but that's another issue altogether.

This is the snowboarding influence: the carefully-crafted look being worn by guys who would, mostly, decry the commercialism of the Olympics. Bode Miller'd fit right in, the douche.

Shaun White is the exception, of course, having turned his Torino successes into a multimedia empire.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Winter Games

Postby Ducatista » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:13 pm

jjoyce wrote:As for warming up pre-boots: Back when Nick's was on N. Hamilton, it was the ideal place to stop on the way to and from the Essen Haus. Those were hazy days/nights.

D'you mean Buck's? I have fond, hazy memories of the place myself, but "ideal" is not a word I'd have used to describe it. Skeevy, maybe, in a sometimes-likeable way...
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4356
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: Winter Games

Postby kamrinjacobs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 am

Hi Friends,
Canadian has done fantastic work in this years Olympic.
In Luge they got gold medal.
What a performance.
USA is top of the table right now.
kamrinjacobs
Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Winter Games

Postby Troy Thiel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:17 am

I can't wait for the closing ceremony with extra special musical guests Gordon Lightfoot and Loverboy! Maybe they'll use that cool video floor affect thing during "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Meanwhile, the spectacle of sport has been..um.."interesting"...that goal at the end of the USA/Canada game last night was pretty awesome.

Will the male figure skater fashion hit the shelves? I'm hankerin' for one of those diamondy snake over black turtleneck tops
Troy Thiel
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:40 am
Location: Madtown

Re: Winter Games

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 am

Anybody catch this last night?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_uoToFGK6E
One of the most ridiculous/hilarious things I have seen in a long time.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:47 pm

Re: Winter Games

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:36 pm

MeLurkyLongTime wrote:Anybody catch this last night?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_uoToFGK6E
One of the most ridiculous/hilarious things I have seen in a long time.

That's so ... brave? Weird? Offensive? Silly beyond words?
I thought the USA ice dancing couple's Country & Western routine was pretty ridiculous too.
Somewhere in the process from conception to realization these people forgot that they'd be on ICE SKATES.
White people. Ungh.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: Winter Games

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:59 pm

supaunknown wrote:
MeLurkyLongTime wrote:Anybody catch this last night?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_uoToFGK6E
One of the most ridiculous/hilarious things I have seen in a long time.

That's so ... brave? Weird? Offensive? Silly beyond words?
I thought the USA ice dancing couple's Country & Western routine was pretty ridiculous too.
Somewhere in the process from conception to realization these people forgot that they'd be on ICE SKATES.
White people. Ungh.

Ice dancing is pairs figure skating without all of the things that make figure skating even remotely watchable.

And Team Chaps was from France, not the US.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Winter Games

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
supaunknown wrote:
MeLurkyLongTime wrote:Anybody catch this last night?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_uoToFGK6E
One of the most ridiculous/hilarious things I have seen in a long time.

That's so ... brave? Weird? Offensive? Silly beyond words?
I thought the USA ice dancing couple's Country & Western routine was pretty ridiculous too.
Somewhere in the process from conception to realization these people forgot that they'd be on ICE SKATES.
White people. Ungh.

Ice dancing is pairs figure skating without all of the things that make figure skating even remotely watchable.

And Team Chaps was from France, not the US.

No, the pair I was referring to was the USA's Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates. France and Great Britain also performed C&W routines.
I think Samuelson & I shared the same facial reaction upon completion of their dance:
Image
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: Winter Games

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 pm

My lord, you mean there were more? Ugh.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Winter Games

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Troy Thiel wrote: I'm hankerin' for one of those diamondy snake over black turtleneck tops

That would make a statement.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20285
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Winter Games

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Witness Time magazine's list of the Top 10 Worst Figure-Skating Costumes.

I'm seriously liking the comparison of #8 to a cross between a "rotten banana and a jaundiced cow".
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2871
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: Winter Games

Postby Igor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:16 am

I'm a big Olympics watcher - but I really hope that ratings go in the tank at some point in the near future. NBCs coverage is maddening. They do a great job on events that they ship off to the cable networks (curling, hockey). However, if there is something that they deem "important" (other than figure skating) they insist on no live broadcast, and a 10 minute summary in prime time.

My wife could not possibly be more in NBC's target demographic, and even she does not want to watch an interview with last night's ice dancing winners, or for sume absurd reason, Michael Phelps.

And a special note to male figure skaters - if you are wear clothing with rhinestones, and are not a country singer from the 70's, you really look like an idiot if you talk trash.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:48 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar