MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bar Loyalty

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:49 pm

I never meant to imply otherwise. Just missin' the good ol' days...
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:46 pm

mrak wrote:
MeLurkyLongTime wrote:Walter, people in their thirties don't need a bar within walking distance in order to get wasted every night, it is just better to not have to worry about driving home even if you have only had a few. Besides dontcha wanna meet the people in your neighborhood?

Exactly. I get to my hangout an average of once a week. When I'm there, I typically have two pints, tops, over the course of 2-3 hours and often with a meal.

Even doing fairly modest, well-paced drinking, I'm always glad I'm not getting behind the wheel. I never want to be in the position of telling the police officer, "well, yes, I have been drinking, but I'm sure I didn't have too much to drive."

I meet people in my neighborhood. I just don't want to meet any when they are drunk and might make bad decisions, especially when I might have to or be expected to do something about it.

The guys who asked me about my neighborhood bar were guys who only went out to get drunk because that want they did when they went out. Props on not drinking and driving and that sounds like a reasonable way to have a night out.

If someone wants to go and get hammered, that's fine. Please keep an eye on them and get them home in one piece.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:33 pm

Speaking of missin' the good ol' days... I was a regular at Club de Wash. Went to the New Bar and Barber's Closet, too, but Club D is where I went to play music, see music, drink, hang. It's the only place I've stayed out until morning New Year's Day.

Was reminded of that fact by my oldest, dearest friend as we sat in our customary booth at the Plaza tonight (after an opening cocktail at Coopers). She and I not only frequented the Club D, we also managed to scrape up money for dinner at Café Palms, even when we could barely make the rent. Guess I'm Doing Fine is playing as I type this, and man, that's some sweet, melancholy shit.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby banjovee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Plaza regular in 80's (wife-to-be cocktail waitressed there) In those days, like now, the Plaza staff treated regulars the same way as strangers. Like crap. But it was fun. I'm surprised no one's mentioned Ken's. RIP.
banjovee

Postby jman111 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:18 pm

banjovee wrote: I'm surprised no one's mentioned Ken's. RIP.

Only went there a few times for Cork n Bottle. Seemed like a fun place. I distinctly remember a very cool bartender- Jeremy, I think.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Rather than start a new discussion, I'll put this here:
Harmony Bar raises a glass to 20 years of good times

Party at the Barrymore on the March 14.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Why not a party at the Harmony?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Why not a party at the Harmony?

I guess you didn't read the article I linked.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 pm

That appears to be the case.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:30 am

banjovee wrote:Plaza regular in 80's (wife-to-be cocktail waitressed there) In those days, like now, the Plaza staff treated regulars the same way as strangers. Like crap. But it was fun. I'm surprised no one's mentioned Ken's. RIP.

Loved Ken's but found out about it too close to it's closing otherwise we would have been regulars there for sure.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:33 am

I've always wanted to have a regular neighborhood spot and for a couple years I've wanted it to be The Harmony. I'm recognized by a couple of bartenders but I don't think I can be called a "regular". Once every 2 weeks at best. I grew up a block from there when it was Lee's, so it has a really comfortable feeling for me. Maybe with the warmer weather I'll try harder. Perfect walking distance from home too.

I like the OP part about going into new bars and why you might not. Most of the places I haven't been to are the kind of small taverns where everyone seems to turn and look when the door opens. I prefer to arrive unnoticed. I've never been to Woody & Ann's, probably for that reason. When it was open I never made it to the Town Pump and only went in the original Union House once. I got the turn-and-stare treatment the one time I went to Bailey's. I could see being a regular at the Ohio just for the people watching but there's someone often there that I avoid.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:29 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Most of the places I haven't been to are the kind of small taverns where everyone seems to turn and look when the door opens.

Madison A to Z coined a term for that: "swivel factor."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 pm

I used to be bothered by that, also. It seemed to me that people were staring, judging, etc. Then, with time, I realized that I had a tendency to do the same thing after I had been sitting in a bar for a while. I certainly wasn't judging those who entered, just being curious. Once I came to that realization, the swivelers never bothered me.
Besides, you can always just give them SOMETHING to look at....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Growing up in a small town and regularly accompanying my parents to the local taverns over the years, I'm certainly accustomed to the swivel factor but I dislike it all the same. There's not much quite so uncomfortable as having five or six barflies synchronously turn around and look you over. If I'm trying a new place and this happens it's definitely Strike One. If the bartender doesn't seem friendly on top of this, it's Strike Two (though I'll forgive aloof bartenders in other situations). If they've only got shitty beer, Strike Three and I'm out the door.

Of course, all of this goes out the window if I'm with friends, especially those more outgoing and sociable than I. Case in point: a friend and I stopped at the Dutch Mill on a whim after a ballgame. The bus had dropped us off at the Park & Ride and a nightcap was in order. My three strikes were met within a minute, minute and a half tops - the bartender literally rolled his eyes when I asked if they had any Capital bottles. But whereas I would normally be all pouty and leave, my friend got her drink, told a few jokes and it all turned out alright. We even made it a point to stop back after the next ballgame with her husband in tow.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:34 pm

For a regular the turn and look is done in most cases simply to check out if someone you know just walked in. 'Cause you are a regular after all and know all of the other regulars, right?
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails