MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Am I the only person that thinks Restuarant Muramoto is bad?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Am I the only person that thinks Restuarant Muramoto is bad?

Postby redrose » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:08 am

Seriously, it's like everyone is in a trance or something! (especially after the ego filled interview recently). They used to be good but the quality has gone way down. I've been consistently disappointed lately. Has anyone else noticed this?
redrose

Re: Am I the only person that thinks Restuarant Muramoto is bad?

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:12 am

I haven't been to Restaurant Muramoto in a while, but at Sushi Muramoto, they're knocking it out of the park every. damn. day.

So to answer your question, probably. Yeah.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:26 am

I had dinner at Restaurant Muramoto with a friend last night, and it was absolutely delicious. We shared 3 appetizers and 5 rolls, all of which were fresh, well-prepared, and featured unique flavor profiles. The place impressed my friend, who moved here recently from the East Coast, where he was somewhat of a sushi aficionado. Favorite app was the probably the sugar beet salad with truffled tofu. Standout roll was the viper roll, a spicy eel, avocado and escolar combo.

Our server and the host were both quite friendly, attentive and knowledgeable, and the place was pretty hopping for a Wednesday night.

I'm curious as to what's been prompting your disappointment. I eat at both Muramoto downtown and Sushi Muramoto frequently. I will say that after many attempts to enjoy something off their dessert menu, all hitting a point on a spectrum between "yuck" and "meh" I decided I'd refrain from ordering dessert there in the future.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 am

Was somewhat underwhelmed by the V-Day tasting menu we got there. The food was all pretty good, but it didn't blow me away like previous meals there have, and it felt very rushed (the meal, the service, the menu itself). The idea of a special tasting menu is to create something special, this seemed like he just threw together whatever was available. No wine pairings were offered (although they were advertised), the pacing of the courses was too fast, and it seemed like they were trying to seat as many people as possible as fast as they could. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice meal, but not as nice as it could have been IMO. Really felt like he mailed it in.

This was the first time I have done a Shinji tasting menu, and I think I prefer ordering a la carte from the apps, rolls, and entrees menus. This feeling of dissatisfaction was also a first, as I've always had excellent meals at the old Muramoto location (before Kushi and Haze) across the street or at the Hilldale location (and at my previous visits to this one).
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:24 pm

I have never been disappointed. I haven't gone there a lot but enough to say It is in my top favorites of Madison restaurants.

redrose wrote:I've been consistently disappointed lately. Has anyone else noticed this?

To be honest, from some of your earlier posts about food, I think your taste are on the fringe of being too picky and not qualitative. They are two different thing(in my opinion)
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:06 pm

Have to say, after my last visit to each respective place, L'Etoile moved into a tie with Muramoto for my favorite. Maybe I'm too picky! Here's hoping getting back to the regular menu at Muramoto returns them to the top spot.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:52 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I haven't been to Restaurant Muramoto in a while, but at Sushi Muramoto, they're knocking it out of the park every. damn. day.

So to answer your question, probably. Yeah.

Have they improved at Sushi Muramoto, then? I've had pretty mixed experiences there, but I haven't been for months.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby redrose » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:44 am

Stebben84 wrote:I think your taste are on the fringe of being too picky

I agree, I am extremely picky about the quality of food that I eat at restaurants and pay hard earned money for. My concern, and the reason I started this post, is because Muramoto used to be great in my opinion and I feel that the quality has dramatically dropped since they moved, and it's too bad.
But I feel like I'm the only one that noticed...

I also haven't been to Sushi recently and have had mixed impressions in the past so I'm hoping they have gotten better, not worse. But I don't know...
redrose

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:09 pm

redrose wrote:I agree, I am extremely picky about the quality of food that I eat at restaurants and pay hard earned money for.

I'm not saying being "picky" is a bad thing. I just know people who are so picky, nothing is good enough. That's why not everyone is a restaurant reviewer. I also know people who like everything, and for me, their opinion isn't high on my list.

I guess my question would be, what has made the quality go down? If you just say that something sucks now without backing it up, it just makes me think that you are one of the "nothing is good enough" people. Gimme some reasons and I will stand corrected.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadisonMan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Bad might be a bit of a long shot but there are certainly signs of less attention or just going through the motions. Some of the plates are dirty or greasy looking when they've arrived at my table. Whoever makes the risotto there, please stop, good flavors but shoddy technique, it was a soggy mess.
Overall though I fault Muramoto as much as any other restaurant, not everything on the menu at a given time is superb but there is good to balance the mediocre. Over-hyped yes, bad no.
MadisonMan

Postby redrose » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 pm

I definitely notice and appreciate the little things and extra efforts from a kitchen that you can see in a dish. In my opinion, one can usually judge a restaurant by their house salad. A properly seasoned and perfectly dressed and composed salad can really tell you whether or not the kitchen is detail oriented or not (you really can't beat a perfectly dressed salad!) At Muramoto, I've also experienced soggy tempura and forgetting to clean the cartilage from a piece of crab. Also went there for Noodle Wars recently and one of the dishes was so over salted that it was almost inedible! In fact most of that meal felt like they threw it together 5 minutes before opening the doors. There must not have been any thought put into the drink pairings either since not one of them matched it's course. It seems like restaurants that change their menu frequently tend to have more consistent quality... just a thought.
redrose

Postby MadisonMan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm

That's why I would say over-hyped, people tend to gush about it as if it's a Michelin star class restaurant but it has too many inconsistencies to be as great as people want it to be. But seriously look at some of the other offerings at their price point in the area. They're doing a better job than a lot of them, and are miles above some.
MadisonMan

Postby kitten » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:43 pm

The problem with the new space is that it smells so BAD. It didn't smell so great as Cocoliquot to begin with, and now it's practically unbearable. Nothing can taste good in that!

I go to Hilldale for my Muramoto needs, unless I want to smell like stale tempura grease for the rest of the week.
kitten

Postby kulgar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:50 pm

I have a nose like a fox and personally haven't smelled anything objectionable at RM. Possible stroke? Or something in your own biota? Have that problem at any other restaurants? It is part of the open kitchen format to have cooking smells but I haven't noticed anything objectionable.

I've occasionally had not quite ripe mango or too cold kobe in the sekizuke but that not quite ripe mango was back at the old location two or three years ago. I've only eaten at RM three times in the last three months but it's been delicious every time. Personally I don't like the "sashimi" platter, rather have it at SM, but that's just my taste buds and training. Every restaurant misses occasionally but I haven't noticed a dropoff after the move.

I had god awful maguro at Takumi this week, went back because of the location for my lunch date, but would swear it's not "sashimi grade" tuna because it was tougher than a cheap piece of beef.

Noodle Wars: went to Osteria, thought fresh food meant that they prepared it five minutes before I ate it. The wine pairings that night made great sense to me (except the cocktail which I couldn't handle although my spouse loved). And that Barbaresco they must have pulled out of Cocoliquot's cellar was incredible all by itself. Personally I didn't like the soba course although the salmon roe was THE best I've ever had. I used to feed that piece of sushi from a seto to my dog (yes, he could eat off of chopsticks) but will try it again at SM because it's the same supplier. And $49 for seven course and seven drinks, great night!

I've never found a restaurant that hits a home run every time at the plate, but agree that RM, time after time for the dollars involved, is among the best in Madison.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby redrose » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 pm

I agree about the smell at Restaurant Muramoto. My clothes smell almost as bad as a night at Maduro, but it's to be expected at a cigar bar, not so much a restaurant. As far as Noodle Wars, I have a strong feeling that the night at Papavero was much different than the one at Muramoto. There was definitely only 5 mediocre courses and 5 mismatched drink pairings at the one I attended.. I typically would have chosen to eat the dinner at Papavero and will not make that mistake again, sounds like maybe they worked out the kinks for the second night.
redrose

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews