MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

The Room

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

The Room

Postby crevice beatle » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Known as "the Citizen Kane of bad movies", I was introduced to this film on a recent trip to L.A. This movie is downright painful to watch. I resisted for the first 20 minutes, but then was won over with intrigue at how awful and uninintentionally hilarious it was.

With a comparable budget of 6 million dollars and absolutely no film making experience, I think I could create at least 3 better movies. Released in 2003, it has slowly gained cult status, especially in L.A., where there are midnight viewings complete with audience particapation - much like Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Writer/director/producer/actor Tommy Wiseau claims that a black comedy was his intent all along. Unfortunately for him, none of the actors who participated in this trainwreck stand by these statements and insist the movie was intended as a drama, designed to launch a career in acting. This movie is actually shown to film students for the numerous examples on what not to do.

Has anyone else seen this? As it gains cult credibility in other cities, I wonder if there is/ever will be a market for this in Madison. I have provided a sample of this disastropiece below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4KzClb1C4
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Re: The Room

Postby illman808 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Saw it last April 1st when [adult swim] aired it as an April Fools joke. It was heavily censored to the point that the censorship was the only thing that kept me watching for awhile. There were scenes where only a tiny square inch of screen was viewable. I didn't laugh, i didn't cry, Cats was much better...
illman808

Postby Athena » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:55 am

I've rented it twice from 4 star. I should give up and buy it since it is so much fun to show to people. The movie is so unintentionally awful and still watchable that it is one of the best bad movies I've seen (and I've watched a lot of MST3K).
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 am

I've owned it for awhile, its brilliant and Tommy Wiseau could be the creepiest actor/director/producer/PR guy ever. Some fave aspects: sex scenes with Johnny and Lisa all seem to be the same scene; there is a scene where the guys toss a football around about 5 feet apart from one another while wearing tuxes; Lisa and her mother's conversations are brilliant ("Oh by the way, I have breast cancer"); Johnny and Lisa are totally cool with neighbors coming in and having sex in their apartment; the character of Denny might be developmentally disabled (Wiseau won't take a stand).

We have a movie night thing we put together every couple of weeks which mostly screens B-movies and cult films (next one is "Return of the Living Dead"/"Repo Man"), and I'd say this was one that almost everyone agreed was one of the most turrible/amazing films ever. I think the only other time we got such a reaction was when we screened all the current chapters of "Trapped in the Closet."

Both "Trapped" and "The Room" have enjoyed midnight screenings in some cities to a degree of success and "The Room" screenings obviously have a cult following amongst comedians and actors in Hollywood. Not sure if it would play that way here, but I would be there with many friends if say the Orpheum or Sundance screened it.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:22 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I've owned it for awhile, its brilliant and Tommy Wiseau could be the creepiest actor/director/producer/PR guy ever. Some fave aspects: sex scenes with Johnny and Lisa all seem to be the same scene; there is a scene where the guys toss a football around about 5 feet apart from one another while wearing tuxes; Lisa and her mother's conversations are brilliant ("Oh by the way, I have breast cancer"); Johnny and Lisa are totally cool with neighbors coming in and having sex in their apartment; the character of Denny might be developmentally disabled (Wiseau won't take a stand).

Thank god there is someone else out there that is familiar and recognizes the splendid awfulness of this movie. I think a large part in enjoying this crap hinges on having the company of many people; it is difficult for me to turn singular friends on to it...yet when I've popped it in with 3 or more people visiting, it makes for such a fanastic viewing. In terms of the Johnny and Lisa sex scenes, I am fairly certain they are ALL the same scene just cut up and re-edited. My friend and I have concluded that the poor actress who is in the scene with Wiseau couldn't stomach to film more than 5 minutes of rolling around naked with him.

boston_jeff wrote:Not sure if it would play that way here, but I would be there with many friends if say the Orpheum or Sundance screened it.

Yeah, I do not think it would get much reception if the Orpheum (or Sundance for that matter) were to run it next weekend. It may be suitable for a screening at the Union, but even then, not so sure it has been discovered by much of the UW crowd though I'd venture to say that is how it most likely would build steam. Supposing it is possible to perpetuate this sort of cult status at a local level, I am thinking it would have to be marketed before or after Rocky Horror Picture show screenings.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:06 pm

I should have a screening again soon, last time I did half the group passed out...the folks who stayed awake were richly rewarded and said as much.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Speaking of unintentionally hillarious films with cult followings that are fun to show people, have any of you seen the amateur made, camcorder shot, documentary "Heavy Metal Parking Lot"?
Basicly, two guys with a camcorder film in the parking lot of a Judas Priest concert back in 86'. This is one of the greatest pieces of 80s nostalgia that you won't see on VH1... plus, with a run time of only 16 minutes, it easily captures the wonder/humor of most anyone. The clothing, hair, and quotable lines are absolutely priceless!
The 16 minute documentary in it's entirety on hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=heavy+ ... g+lot&st=0

I originally had the DVD from Netflix...I have no clue how I came across it. The DVD has extra features where the original filmakers track down some of the kids that were in the documentary 20 years later.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby zulick » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:36 pm

The humor is definitely intentional.

Greatest movie ever.

"Everybody betray me. I don't have a friend in the world"
zulick

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:21 pm

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:36 pm

There is a DVD screening at Memorial Union this weekend.

http://www.union.wisc.edu/film/midnight.html
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Nice, I wish I could go to either one, next time.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:28 pm

I first heard about The Room from SModcast. I was interested, so I got a copy, tried watching it, and lasted maybe twenty minutes. It was so slow and belabored it literally wasn't funny. I was watching it myself, so I figured it might be much more enjoyable if I was watching with some other poor soul.

Shortly after that, I found out RiffTrax has covered The Room, and that made all the difference. I highly recommend it.

As to Wiseau's intentions, in the SModcast, Bryan Johnson mentions that they found Wiseau in a Borders or something, and that he did not seem to be walking the same plane of existence as the rest of us, possibly due to drug impairment . They told Wiseau they loved The Room, they were also in show biz, mostly in comics, so Wiseau fantasized immediately that they will do a comic of The Room, or something else. They left each other, with Wiseau seemingly in belief that they had struck a deal or sorts, and they they would soon communicate on the phone, but of course, nothing of the sort happened.

Oh, hi Lisa!
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies