MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Winter Games

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Winter Games

Postby minnow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Only interest we have is in the Hockey - both Women & men's. And I get the scores off the computer. We get a few views as my husband switches channels. We don't have cable or dish, just regular old-time TV. NBC certainly could have done a better job, but then it's all in the money.
minnow
Forum Addict

Postby keelio » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:59 pm

I have to admit to seriously enjoying the olympics...enough to actually buy a TV to catch the coverage. In hindsight, I think NBC did an OK job covering a such a broad spectrum of events. As expected, the american media tends toward jingoism with occasional nods to compelling international stories. And events where americans aren't expected to do well just don't see much coverage. That may have backfired a bit - since there were successful american athletes in so many events this year. I'm not sure how much of the personal stories I really needed...would rather have seen actual events. But I think there was a snippet or tow of virtually everything on the docket. Also got a huge kick out of the closing ceremony...definitely kitschy, but very fun to watch. Would have loved to have been there. And I guess if NBC elicited that feeling through their coverage, then they did a decent enough job.

On another note - I really miss 'Wide World of Sports'. As a kid that was the only program that covered any of these events outside the olympics. Like everything else, our sports coverage seems to be dumbed down to just golf, basketball, football and a little baseball. Which, coincidentally, lend themselves to a ton of commercial breaks. More hockey, please!
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:26 pm

Hey, what about the half hour of seeing the non-medal finishers cross the line in the 50K cross-country race yesterday?

Scintillating!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:17 pm

jjoyce wrote:Hey, what about the half hour of seeing the non-medal finishers cross the line in the 50K cross-country race yesterday?

Scintillating!

I guess this begs the question - why cover long distance events of any sort - marathons, tour de france, what have you? I like cross country skiing...so it's actually kind of cool to see it on TV. If you make the commitment to show the end of the race, you should show how it develops - how the rabbits get pulled back in, just the whole dynamic of the event. Since the american came across in 28th place, and several key competitors fell back in the pack it seems appropriate to show those finishers - especially if there's no other event underway to cut to. Unlike a basketball game that's done as soon as the buzzer sounds, a race isn't over until the last competitor crosses the finish line.

That being said, I thought the team pursuit speed skating, or whatever they call it, was super cool.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:33 pm

I love cross-country skiing and the action at this Olympics was the best ever. I was on my high school's varsity team (Minnesota) and was inspired enough to look into what it would take to get my equipment back in shape.

BUT... NBC had nothing to show for a full half hour yesterday, so we got to see the guys coming in at 41st, 42nd, 43rd cross the line looooong after the winners finished.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:00 am

jjoyce wrote:BUT... NBC had nothing to show for a full half hour yesterday, so we got to see the guys coming in at 41st, 42nd, 43rd cross the line looooong after the winners finished.

That's really what it amounted to - nothing else to show. I'm really torn betweeen the excellent coverage that NBCs cable networks gave to curling and so forh, vs. the coverage NBC itself gave to stuff.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking