MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, July 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Taco Heaven

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Taco Heaven

Postby Exploding Pinto » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:00 pm

...and so goes the story of a little place called Taco Heaven!
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:16 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote:
It's not the mayo that goes bad. It's the food that the mayo is mixed with that's almost always the problem. Processed mayo (salad dressings, Miracle Whip, whatever) of all kinds has some kind of acidic element in it that retards spoilage - lemon juice, vinegar, etc. - but when your chicken, or turkey or has been handled incorrectly the mayo always gets the bad rap. In fact, you stand a better chance of food borne bacterial not effecting you if there is mayo in the dish.

Mayo's bad rap surely springs from the long-gone days of yore when folks pretty much exclusively prepared their own. Unpasteurized eggs were likely the culprit, but the stuff you buy at the grocery store is made with pasteurized eggs. Modern studies have confirmed chainsaw's above contention: Food prepared with mayo actually helps retard the growth of salmonella and staphylococcus bacteria, even in the hot sun at your picnic.

I'm generally amazed that anyone can think that a massive national chain would have low standards for the quality of their food. Whether something tastes good is, of course, purely subjective, but 1) as fisticuffs essentially said, if a national chain was poisoning everyone, folks'd notice and it would surely cut into their profits, and 2) the whole point of massive chains is to provide an experience which is as close to identical as possible at every location. Seems to me that the only way to make something always taste the same is to do your damnedest to guarantee the ingredients are always of similar quality. I'd guess that if an outbreak of something is linked to a specific location, it's most likely not a food issue, but a dirty hands/prep surfaces issue. So bassbari's claim might be true -- his partner may have gotten sick from a Taco Bell, but not because it was a Taco Bell.

But the bottom line? Food is deadly stuff.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:24 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I call bullshit becasue I've eaten Taco literally hundreds of times (mostly at bar time) and never ONCE EVER have I gotten food poisoning.

Your imbibing may be what has protected you from the Taco Bell revenge. Booze is like kryptonite to the little food poison buggers.

Food Poisoning & Drinking Alcohol

by David J. Hanson, Ph. D.

“Alcohol with a meal can lower the risk of food poisoning” reports the New York Times. 1 The evidence continues to grow that drinking alcoholic beverages with dinner can either prevent food poisoning or reduce its effects.

Food poisoning appears to be much more common than most people realize because they often incorrectly attribute their symptoms to flu. More serious is the fact that food poisoning can be fatal.

An outbreak of gastroenteritis leading to diarrhea, vomiting and high fever among passengers on a cruise ship was analyzed. Research indicated that the consumption of alcohol by many of the passengers may have been what prevented them from getting sick.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Health ... 84069.html
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Wow..... My late mother vindicated twice in one post. When she would tell my sisters and I that mayo actually preserved the food she would leave for hours in the car trunk, we would reply that it was amazing any of us had lived to adulthood. AND she would state (to much eye rolling) that gin would kill off any bad bacteria in our guts, so a martini was pretty much a digestive tonic.

Sorry Mom, maybe you were right about me dressing like a trollop in the 8th grade.......
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Exploding Pinto wrote:...and so goes the story of a little place called Taco Heaven!

Jesús wept.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 pm

john_titor wrote:
Exploding Pinto wrote:...and so goes the story of a little place called Taco Heaven!

Jesús wept.

That's what I'm saying. I came to vent about a shitty restaurant and it turned into a taco bell/food poisoning debate. I take back what I said...except for the part that taco heaven sucks.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Back in '93 or '94, half a dozen people I knew had to go get Hepatitis shots due to an outbreak at the State St. Taco Bell.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby jackisonian » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Bought two tacos togo, not bad.
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:48 pm

jackisonian wrote:Bought two tacos togo...

Afro-Mex fusion fast food. Who'd a thunk?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

Yep. Never Benin that restaurant. Have to check it out.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:55 pm

fennel wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

Yep. Never Benin that restaurant. Have to check it out.

I'm Ghana smack the next person making a West Africa-related pun.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 am

My friend Mali got sick from eating there. You've never Senegal run to the bathroom so fast.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:37 am

Stebben84 wrote:I went to this new restaurant on Johnson St. It is in the old Le Chardonnay location near State Street. It was easily the worst food I've had in Madison in many, many years. I should have been suspicious when the name is Taco Heaven and they also have pita sandwiches, pulled pork, burgers and hot dogs.

I have to admit that I did a major eye roll at the huge DANK NACHOS decal the first time I saw it. HEY DRUNK COLLEGE KIDS EAT HERE!!!!1

Hell, I still roll my eyes when I go by.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 am

Rosemary wrote:
I have to admit that I did a major eye roll at the huge DANK NACHOS decal the first time I saw it. HEY DRUNK COLLEGE KIDS EAT HERE!!!!1

Hell, I still roll my eyes when I go by.

Not the drunks, the pot smokers.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:50 am

Rosemary wrote:"DANK" NACHOS

I don't get it.
As in the sticky icky?
This adjective is used for food?
Dairylander
Forum Addict

PreviousNext