MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Marvin Gaye - What's goin on?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Marvin Gaye - What's goin on?

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:56 pm

I've listened to this old chestnut about 100 times the last couple months, not sure if I can stop. Pray for me.

The album is a masterpiece. The production is 1970's, OK, and the lyrics reflect a different, more sincere/earnest time, but I swear the music is timeless. Every other recording by Marvin Gaye sounds linked to some style, "What's Goin On" is a thing of beauty that comes from .... I'm too embarassed to say ... deep inside, pure art.

The album had a couple of radio hits that us white kids listened to back in the 70's. I don't remember, but I don't think people understood just how remarkable the album was. I worshipped STevie Wonder's albums of that period, didn't realize Marvin Gaye had something right there with him.

I wonder if younger ears could appreciate this music today?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Marvin Gaye - What's goin on?

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:26 am

Yeah! I wonder the same thing. Maybe some young player might take a chance and sing and play a melody!

Until then, it's Lady P and Dusty Storm, at WORT, for me!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:45 am

Bwis53 wrote: Until then, it's Lady P and Dusty Storm, at WORT, for me!

Hah! I forgot about that show, I just turned it on, "Movin on Up" by Curtis Mayfield.

Curtis Mayfield is another artist that I missed-on in 70's. Sure, I liked the radio hits, but didn't realize that the albums were works of great beauty. (BTW, Curtis Mayfield made an album in 1996 after he was paralyzed that is every bit as good as his early work, "New World Order", check it out.)

This is old story, but the itunes and ipod era has left behind appreciation for long suites of music. Well, not THAT long I guess, since you had to put down the bong and flip the record after 20 minutes.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:13 pm

I love sweet soul music, old or new. Marvin Gaye was just part of a magnificent tradition.

Just a couple weeks ago, I was in my car coming back from an unpleasant appointment and thinking downhill thoughts. Some guy pulled up next to me at a red light, a big black guy in a ratty old car, and he had on the most beautiful music I ever heard. I don't know what it was, but it was part of the soul tradition only something newer, sweet female voices and lots of instrumental.

I looked over at him and he thought I was some complaining white lady who didn't like hearing other people's music come in my car window, so he turned it down trying to be nice. I went no! no! and made a turn-it-up gesture. He started to laugh, turned it back up, and soon we were both smiling. By the time the light turned green I was already feeling better.

One of those moments that makes you realize the world isn't so bad after all if you are willing to keep your windows open.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:20 pm

A radio show that has an awesome mix of black & international music is Jonathan Overbee's higher ground on WPR Saturday evenings. He has excellent taste.

http://www.wpr.org/higherground/
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bluehead » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:26 am

hey huckleby..in response to your question about younger ears appreciating Marvin I can report that my 20 yr. old plays in a extremely brutal punk band that travels the country a couple times every year making ears bleed coast to coast. He layed MARVIN GAYE LIVE on me a month ago cuz he knew I would love the bass player ( James Jamerson) and everything else about it. There is hope...good music can be appreciated by all ages, they just need to find it.

They listen to this stuff in their van...I know..blows my mind too. Just sayin there is hope....he loves doo wop too...go figure. By the way , there are a couple of live ones he did and they all are masterpieces. Jerold Jermott plays bass on the other one and good god what a monster. Highly recommend ...Hey now go" get it on "....
Bluehead
Forum Addict

Postby jackisonian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 am

I love Lady P and the Dusty Storm, I work on Saturday mornings it helps a lot. 8am 89.9 , actually I listen all day on Saturday to WORT it flows well for me.
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:16 pm

snoqueen wrote:
the world isn't so bad after all if you are willing to keep your windows open.

Great quote Snoqueen. I wrote it on a post-it and stuck it on my desk.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:37 am

Conversely, about ten years ago we were driving up to a gig in Green Bay (four guys in a GMC something) and the drummer's got a disk in the machine. Sax, bass and drums - interesting shit. "Who is this?" I ask. "Morphine," he says,"My kid gave it to me to listen to." Don't know what record it was but we grooved on it three times going up and back.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Return to General Music