MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Hey, let's make a record.

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

Is this a good idea?

Wow, that's pretty clever. I'm sending my sound. Good luck.
No votes
No instruments? Then it's not music. You're not a musician. Much like a DJ. And we all know what Daily Pagers think about DJs.
50%
Whoever responds to option two is an asshole with no sense of adventure/humor.
50%

Total votes : 6

Hey, let's make a record.

Postby jtopless » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:57 pm

Hello, everyone.

I'm five songs deep into producing a pop-focused "found-sounds" record.

If you're not aware of the "found-sounds" concept, the idea is to take every day noises (car horns, door bells, people talking) and make music out of it through computer editing and unorthodox live performance. I do plan to sing on my record, but overall the goal is to attract a pop audience in the most unusual fashion: With no typical instruments.

I've already recorded dozens of interesting bits in the field, and I have a good start. But I'm always looking for more interesting stuff.

The other day, an idea struck. Why not invite the entire Madison musical community to participate in the production of this record? If you have a microphone, simply record any sound that isn't an instrument. Then send me an e-mail with the sound attached to iamtheabsolutecode@hotmail.com. It must be a short MP3 or wav file. I will then use all these sounds to make the record featuring a collective of noise-makers.

Are there rules?

Well, yes. First off, the noise you send CAN NOT be from a copy written source. Second, while it's not absolutely necessary, it's preferred that the noise involve some kind of tone or note. Like a bell, siren, digital beep, radiowave tones, or other note-making device. That way, I can digitally pitch-bend the note and make a scale for writing chords progressions and melody leads. Third, it must be a short sound. Nothing much longer than one minute. It's easier to edit this way and to send by e-mail. Fourth, the more original the sound, the better!

What can I offer in return?

I'm not so sure about this yet. Perhaps I can offer free copies of the music to download and share from some site once the record is finished. Perhaps you have another idea. I'd love to hear it.

If you find the concept interesting, I'd love to hear your sounds. You can send them to iamtheabsolutecode@hotmail.com. Please, PLEASE put in the subject line: "Daily Page Found Sound." Please try to avoid sending me viruses or any terrible things like that. Thank you kindly.

Best wishes!

j

P.S. You can read about the progress of the record at my blog. The link is on my profile...
jtopless
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jtopless » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:28 pm

Thanks everyone, for all the replies. I've got close to a dozen sounds from you all thus far. Still looking for more, though. Any takers?
jtopless
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Hype Exchange