MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Ars Technica to adblockers: STOP HITTING YOURSELF

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Ars Technica to adblockers: STOP HITTING YOURSELF

Postby dave esmond » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:33 pm

TAsunder wrote:Since you can't offer a single reputable link to support your claims that his point about banner blindness is false....

You'd think just using your eyes would be enough.

But fine.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/200910 ... ision.aspx

http://www.whatmakesthemclick.net/2009/ ... -to-avoid/
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:24 am

Arrington acknowledged on Thursday that there had been malware-laden ads on TechCrunch on Wednesday. It's unclear which ad network served up the malware and what type of malware it was, although it was determined to be an ad running JavaScript, he said.

"We suspended a bunch of (ad) campaigns in the meantime. We're only running ads with static images right now," Arrington said in a telephone interview. "This happens and it sucks and I don't know what we can do except for what we've done--just serve static images."

Uncle_Leaver wrote:You're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to equate your misinformed paranoia with reality. I don't know how many viruses you've had to contend with, but I think your distrust of all things flashy stems foremost from user error and/or ignorance.

Maybe you should apply for a job at TechCrunch. Sounds like you're smarter than everyone else who works there.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:15 pm

In my experience, arguments about banner blindness are based on national websites which serve millions of impressions for general interest products to widely varied audiences.

I'm sure that on usatoday.com or techcrunch.com, where a massive audience is viewing content, clicks are ridiculously low. But for the umpteenth time, TDP has ads for LOCAL businesses serving LOCAL customers. As long as Isthmus has been around, we know that our readers go out and experience cultural activities, eat at local restaurants, visit local retailers. An ad on our site for Stoughton Opera House delivers fabulous return-on-investment, if I can bust out the jargon for a second. And it's not just clicks, but brand reinforcement and even just providing a reminder.

We know that our readers/users aren't as blind to ads on our site as they would even on another local site because our average reader is already so engaged with our average advertiser.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:57 pm

acereraser wrote:
How does Twitter make money?

Hey, check me out, quotin' and replyin' to my own self.

Apparently, Twitter does have some bills to pay, after all. Here is the article. I will admit, I have peeked at Twitter, but I don't think I have ever searched it for anything, so I don't have any idea how clunky this will appear.

Is is time for ProTweetBlock?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games