MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Mt. Horeb Digital Cable/High Speed Internet?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Mt. Horeb Digital Cable/High Speed Internet?

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:49 am

So I'm closing on my first house in about a month in Mt. Horeb which means it's time to say goodbye to AT&T Uverse. Looking around at my options and wanted to know if there were any opinions out there. Here's what I see as my options please let me know if there's something I haven't been able to find. Looking for probably at least 5mbs internet and cutting back some on TV. Must have HD and DVR. I'm willing to buy a DVR at some point or hook up a Mac Mini or something but for the near future a provider provided one would be best.

Charter: Had them for years. I know how crappy this option would be but.... price might be the best for my needs. Do I get back in bed with them after they've been so awful?

Direct TV: The interwebs seem to indicate they can provide internet service. I've heard good things about the product. Not sure what this will set me back/concerned about equipment fees and weather problems.

Anything else out there? What about TDS? Dish Network? AT&T DSL? Not sure about availability on those and they sure don't make it easy on you to get info.

MHTC: Seem to be reasonably priced and somewhat local. But the hardware and stations offered leave something to be desired. They probably aren't going to be on the cutting edge of much.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mt. Horeb Digital Cable/High Speed Internet?

Postby Peacetrain » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 pm

3 years with Direct TV and 0 complaints. Only 1 weather issue, during last BIG storm, and was able to just knock off the accumulated snow and problem solved.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:30 pm

Why do people say Charter is crappy? I've had them for digital cable for 5 yrs and 5mbps internet for six months. Both seem ok. I don't have HD or a DVR. What I like about their internet is no contract is required unlike TDS. I can cancel or change plans anytime with no fee.

AT&T isn't available in my part of town so don't know about them.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:35 pm

ATT Uverse was great but unfortunately I just sent back our hardware. Sad day. Anyways I've decided on DirecTV and Charter Internet. 2 bills kinda sucks but I set that all up online. Whats a couple more clicks? Now if we could just close on the damn thing...
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games