MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Shootin' ranges?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Shootin' ranges?

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:22 pm

This is probably the wrong thing to say with the threat of teabagger riots around every corner, but where can a (peacenik liberal! I swear!) gal get some shooting practice and/or lessons? The friend who has taken me to the Stoughton Conservation Club says I can only go once as a guest before I have to get my own membership. $70ish isn't bad, but I'm not sure I would get out there that frequently, as it's kind of a haul from Madison.

Background: I've had a few successful target-practice experiences with rifles and pistols -- not really anything with shotguns yet. I want to do strictly recreational stuff. Shooting clays looks pretty fun; I don't really care about working my way up to hunting, nor do I plan to use it for personal protection. No gun of my own, but I could probably get set up fairly easily; I'd probably go for a small rifle (pump-action is fun). Ideally, I could practice with someone more experienced around at first.

Thanks!
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Shootin' ranges?

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 pm

Might find something within a reasonable distance here:
http://www.muck-boy.com/Shooting%20Rang ... 20Page.htm

There's a public outside range at a State Park not all that far from here but I can't remember which park right now. I'll know where it is in a month or two when a friend takes me out to break in my shotgun but right now it escapes me.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pogoagogo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:41 pm

being that I'm a liberal who feels that we should all have firearms to protect us from the teabagging white populist movement, I'll recommend this place:

http://www.deerfieldpistol.com/pages/index.html

No need to be a member, if you don't have your own weapon you can rent one on the range, they have plenty of lessons, leagues and open shoots.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:52 pm

oh, and it's but 15 minutes from Madison.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:31 am

Thanks, Pogo! After all, we have nothing to fear but fear itself--and the bogeyman.

Thusnelda, you should find an outdoor range too, one that will let you try clay pigeon shooting. It's all kinds of fun. I took the Little Brother to one range a few years ago, and he really got a kick out of it. I thought it was Deerfield, but it was an outdoor range, and Deerfield is indoor.

I'll have to go try that Deerfield range with the Little this week, over spring break. 22 rounds are cheap fun.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:38 am

Milford Hills out in Johnson Creek looks pretty fun, albeit more of a whole-day trip with friends. Anyone been out there for clays?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Sporting clays at Milford Hills is a great way to spend a morning or afternoon. It's like golf with guns—different challenges at each station, all strung along a pleasant walk through the woods. Much more fun than skeet/trap, IMO. MH has a nice bar/restaurant at the clubhouse that's especially cozy after a cold trip around the clays circuit.

I'll add another vote for Deerfield for indoor shooting and lessons.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Does Deerfield do more than just handguns, though?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:49 pm

I don't know a thing about the place, but I found their web page:

http://www.deerfieldpistol.com/pages/index.html

Sounds like fun if you are willing to shoot indoors. I am no good with clays because my eyes aren't that quick, but I like stationary target practice. If you're like me, Deerfield sounds fine. They have instruction and equipment rental, too.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking