MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Coffee, what are you drinking?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Coffee, what are you drinking?

Postby Violet_Skye » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:47 pm

Caribou, whole beans ground at home, which is the best I can get from our local DeFo Pick 'n' Yuck, due to the road conditions keeping me from other choices available in Madison. I much prefer that to Starbucks or "Cameron's", their so-called gourmet store brand that tastes like nothing. Caribou is definitely my favorite coffee of the big chains.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby coffee-maniak » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:02 am

Seems like a pretty good idea to me.
I like some recipes from here http://www.coffee-bible.com
In fact, I like Irish coffee very much
coffee-maniak

Postby lysander » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:06 am

coffee-maniak wrote:Seems like a pretty good idea to me.
I like some recipes from here http://www.coffee-bible.com
In fact, I like Irish coffee very much

No offense, but if English is your first language you might not want to publish your attempts at translating stuff about coffee. Or, if this is some kind of weird spam thing, I must ask, "Whah?"

above-linked blog wrote:Its supplier of green, Jobin or another, it says on the invoice. taste
home kitchen machine espresso machine, espresso, coffee, cappuccino, test, test, Pavone, Europiccola, the LAPAVONI lever espresso coffee cappuccino test test pavoni Europiccola coffee, plunger coffee

What does this shit mean? What are you selling? How does this benefit you (links to your blog, that is)? I mean, I didn't see any ads on your 'blog', and you don't appear to be selling anything (I was expecting "brand new nokia n96") or generating revenue at all. And yet, there's a bunch of stuff that's clearly copied and pasted from elsewhere.

I guess the worst part about spam is when I don't understand how anyone makes money off of it.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:41 pm

New V-Day special blend from Alterra.

Good stuff. Should be pouring at Barriques this weekend. Might be able to pick up some beans at Sentry Hilldale, too. Not sure where else Alterra is sold in town.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

What coffee to buy for a Frenchman?

Postby altcountryman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:01 pm

OK, this is a weird question but there are some good coffee geeks in this thread some maybe someone can help out. That, and I don't think it hurts to bump up a coffee thread amongst the booze ones, right?

So, my wife has a co-worker from France and he hates the coffee he's had here. I'm not sure what he's tried other than some beans from Starbucks, dunno which ones. No one at the office really knows coffee to try to find him the right thing.

All I can offer is just to get him something decent - Just Coffee, Alterra, Ancora, whatever, and probably a dark roast.

I know all the coffee in France isn't the same and maybe he was drinking Nescafe over there. But do any of you worldly Forons have a recommendation for a French expat's coffee needs?
altcountryman

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Just started the dark roast, estate grown Kona I picked up on our last vacation. Mighty, mighty good.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:17 pm

The coffee in France is more like a shot of espresso than a cup o' American Joe. Like many delicious things in Europe he's going to be disappointed with most anything here. Get some good dark roast beans, grind them fresh and brew them up in a french press or maybe a stove top espresso maker.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 pm

Makes me wonder if he's found any satisfactory cheese. That is, outside of the boutiquey stores.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:14 am

If you actually want to taste the unique characteristics of a single origin coffee, find a good light to medium roast. The more you roast a coffee, the more you're just tasting the char and caramelization and at that point you could use just about any coffee you want. French Roast coffee, even from quality roasters, makes me want to yak. Give me a nice light-roast Kenya AA or Ethiopian Yirgacheffe any day. Bright, lively, and full of terroir

Also, the lighter the roast, the more caffeine, in general. Ultra dark roasts really are little more than charcoal. A large light roast coffee will have as much or more caffeine than your average 3 or 4 shot latte. Truth.

/baristasnobbery
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby CoffeeJones » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:04 am

Also, the lighter the roast, the more caffeine, in general. Ultra dark roasts really are little more than charcoal. A large light roast coffee will have as much or more caffeine than your average 3 or 4 shot latte. Truth.[/quote]

Kinda depends on what you mean by "large".

In general, an 8 oz. cup of coffee has the same caffeine as a single shot of espresso.

You are correct that the longer you roast coffee, the less caffeine it has, but the difference in roast level isn't as important as the type of coffee roasted. Robusta coffee has approximately 2x the caffeine content as arabica, which is what you will find in most brewed coffee. Robusta is added to some espresso blends to increase the body and the crema, but it has a sharp, very strong flavor, so isn't favored among roasters as a coffee by itself. It is added to some blends intended for brewing to pack a little punch. I believe Ancora here in Madison still adds it to their Black Thunder blend.

Also, lightly roasting a coffee emphasizes the flaws of a coffee, so a knowlegeable roaster adjusts the roast profile of a coffee to emphasize or disguise particular characteristics.

I do agree that dark roasted coffees often just taste of the roast, but that has more to do with the roaster's skill or lack thereof.
CoffeeJones

Postby altcountryman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:33 pm

fennel wrote:Makes me wonder if he's found any satisfactory cheese. That is, outside of the boutiquey stores.

Good question...

My post might have made it sound like he's a coffee snob but, for the record, I have no idea if that's the case or if he just didn't like whatever they were giving him at the office. I haven't met him but I think I remember hearing that there's a lot of stuff here that he likes, so don't think he's a reinforcer of the French stereotype. Sounds like just a coffee issue, to which I can relate. The coffee at my office is atrocious, I just don't have the rank to do anything about it (other than, of course, make my own!).
altcountryman

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:03 pm

What am I drinking? Mississippi Mud from Brennan's in a french press. I like it alright preferred the Sven's Nicaraguan I got last time. Less citrus-y.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:37 pm

altcountryman wrote: I haven't met him but I think I remember hearing that there's a lot of stuff here that he likes, so don't think he's a reinforcer of the French stereotype.
Oh, that wasn't my impression. I've known quite a few French folks living in the U.S. More often they're pleasantly surprised how much good food can be found here. (Such is the perception of the U.S.) One thought that the cinnamon here tasted funky, but then discovered that what we commonly call cinnamon is really cassia. Penzey's to the rescue.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails