MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Wonder Bar

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Wonder Bar

Postby crushedcorn » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:56 pm

I pass by the Wonder Bar every day on my way home from work and I'm intrigued. The building is very unique and there are always cars in the parking lot. Is it a good place to have a meal? Good place for a drink? Both?
crushedcorn

Re: Wonder Bar

Postby Crow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Kadushin wrote a review last fall. I ate there not too long ago, and I'd say his take is pretty accurate (though I liked my salad more than he did). I can't speak to the drinks, but they make a hell of a steak.
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Crow wrote:(though I liked my salad more than he did). I can't speak to the drinks, but they make a hell of a steak.

Ate there with the (soon to be) wife late last year. It was very good. We ate at the Tornado not too long ago for the first time in the dining room (we do get late nite menu quite often) and brought many comparisons - more from her than me. She got the bone in ribeye at both places. She liked Wonders' better and noted it was $10 cheaper than Tornado's. She got the iceberg salad at both places and also liked Wonders' better. I had the prawns at Wonders and salmon at Tornado. Tough to compare for me. I like both places. I wish I could afford them more often.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 am

I didn't realize that people actually purposely ordered an iceberg salad. About the only thing I ever use iceberg lettuce for is to shred it for tacos or something. (I recall reading somewhere once that iceberg lettuce has total zero nutrient content.)
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 am

AaronTheSnob wrote: (I recall reading somewhere once that iceberg lettuce has total zero nutrient content.)

The lazy man in me applauds you for not wasting 8 seconds of your life to fact check.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournu ... e_info.htm
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:18 am

A good wedge salad serves as a bacon, cheese, and dressing delivery system. Don't knock it 'til you try it.
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby Stomach » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:36 am

The wedge at Tornado is freakin' awesome. I'm having a hard time accepting that the steak and wedge/iceberg at Wonder Bar is better than Tornado but I'm intrigued. I may have to try it but if your wife is wrong she'll never hear the end of it from me. Never.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:44 am

O.J. wrote:
AaronTheSnob wrote: (I recall reading somewhere once that iceberg lettuce has total zero nutrient content.)

The lazy man in me applauds you for not wasting 8 seconds of your life to fact check.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournu ... e_info.htm

He's got people for that.

Aaron, you're not much of a snob if you don't know the staple sides of an old-school, rich white man steakhouse.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:06 am

Crow wrote:A good wedge salad serves as a bacon, cheese, and dressing delivery system. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Oh, hell yeah!!
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:19 am

Stomach wrote:I'm having a hard time accepting that the steak and wedge/iceberg at Wonder Bar is better than Tornado but I'm intrigued. I may have to try it but if your wife is wrong she'll never hear the end of it from me. Never.

Let me just qualify that by saying she said it was "slightly better". Might have also had something to do with entire dining experience. It was a freezing rainy nite and we were seated right by the fireplace at the Wonder bar. It was slowing down so the waitress gave us special attention. They even gave us a tour of the upstairs afterwards because we asked about the rumors of the place being haunted. Tornado was good but a typical busy friday nite. We went there expecting fish special but they were sold out. Again, both places have very good high quality food. But if you are wondering about the Wonder, give it a try.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smutterly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Erie, I can tell you how to afford eating there more, lose the potential wife. Then comes kids and you'll be comparing the food at Target versus Wal Mart.
Smutterly

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:40 pm

Smutterly wrote:Erie, I can tell you how to afford eating there more, lose the potential wife. Then comes kids and you'll be comparing the food at Target versus Wal Mart.

Not to mention how all of us in my old neighborhood would refer to whatever was on sale at our local liquor store as "homeowner beer."

At the time, that was usually Old Mil. Those were the days.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby maddining » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:06 am

Love the Wonder Bar! It has become one of our go-to places already. The bone-in ribeye (Cowboy Steak) is really good, at a good price.

Eat downstairs if you can. It is louder due to the bar, but it has a better, more vibrant atmosphere than the upstairs.
maddining

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews