MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Kickshaw

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Kickshaw

Postby NorwegianFarmer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:03 pm

I drove by Kickshaw last night, Thursday 4/14, and they were closed. Anybody no if this was just for the night or did they close their doors?
NorwegianFarmer

Re: Kickshaw

Postby popping hotdog » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:23 am

I think I heard they were closed for good.
popping hotdog

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:40 am

How about we save potential future tenants the trouble and just burn that end of the strip down. Leave Barriques and Thai Noodles. The space is clearly cursed. I should know, I can see it from my front stoop.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:13 am

According to CCAP, they haven't been paying bills, including Isthmus.
Last edited by LargeMarge on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:50 am

LargeMarge wrote:According to CCAP, they haven't being paying bills, including Isthmus.

Hey, you pipe down with that noxious "CCAP" stuff. Clearly, you're ruining their good name and reputation based on totally unrelated legal proceedings.

/snark
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:19 am

So does the "winner" of the reality show that runs this place still get to make their $250,000/year now that the place has gone under? Who gets to keep the debt? The lucky winner? or the guy facing charges in Vegas (and elsewhere)? This has got to be one of the best "I told you so's" I've ever experienced.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:10 am

fisticuffs wrote:So does the "winner" of the reality show that runs this place still get to make their $250,000/year now that the place has gone under? Who gets to keep the debt? The lucky winner? or the guy facing charges in Vegas (and elsewhere)? This has got to be one of the best "I told you so's" I've ever experienced.

She's not involved anymore anyway. They already changed ownership/management once after opening as Kickshaw.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:24 am

I felt bad for her. She was commenting on an article written about the show on Madison.com a while back. You could tell she'd been suckered into a bad situation. Just wanted to live her dream. But seriously the writing was on the wall when this whole thing started.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:20 am

The High Tech Happy Hour was supposed to be there next week. I got an email a couple days ago saying it was being moved.

I figured that meant Kickshaw was done.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 am

fisticuffs wrote:I felt bad for her. She was commenting on an article written about the show on Madison.com a while back. You could tell she'd been suckered into a bad situation. Just wanted to live her dream. But seriously the writing was on the wall when this whole thing started.

Agreed. They really needed to do some sort of PR campaign in the beginning to make sure the public knew Kickshaw had nothing to do with the former owner. By the time that story hit Channel 3, it was too late.

I also heard the food wasn't that great. Another reason restaurants die.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sadiekat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:28 pm

I typically think that businesses that fail do so of their own accord, but it seems that this one didn't have a chance. Whether it's the location, the previous owner, or electrical seepage from the power station (or whatever it is), it's a shame, really.
sadiekat

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:34 am

I just heard an ad on the radio yesterday advertising their brunch. I guess either an old ad or a last ditch effort to bring in customers.....
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:37 am

pattymcnutt wrote:I just heard an ad on the radio yesterday advertising their brunch. I guess either an old ad or a last ditch effort to bring in customers.....

The management probably never called the radio group to cancel the schedule/buy.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gthayes » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:56 pm

what a great and beautiful place too bad that it is closed, my wife and I live near by and stopped into subway and wondered what that place on the end was. We had lived in madison before and had moved away and for a brief period of time I might add and that place really died quick I had only heard the name once before. I am a well traveled chef and by the looks of the place it has total potential to the best restaurant in the state it is just beautiful inside and with seminole hills neighborhood and all of the money around those parts with epic and all i can't imagine not succeeding. I am up for the challenge if anyone is ever ballsy enough to open another restaurant there. (but it will most likely end up another great site turned into a law firm or insurance agency, BUMMER)
gthayes

Return to Cooking & Food issues