MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, January 29, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Selectively quoting Jefferson

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Selectively quoting Jefferson

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 am

I see Johnny is invoking Godwin's Law.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:10 am

...would it be so bad if we also taught people about the Arab contributions to science during the Middle Ages? Or didn't pretend that algebra sprung full-flowered from the brains of Greeks with no help from the Egyptians or Sumerians?

Just a friendly amendment to Wags here: algebra is al-jabr in Arabic (or the Arabic of several thousand years ago) and guess who came up with it? Same with alcohol and quite a few other al- words in English. They're of Arabic origin.

We in the so-called west definitely overlook the contribution of Arabic civilizations in favor of the Greeks, Romans, and Egyptians. Partly this is due to the sack of Baghdad by the Mongols in 1258. Baghdad was at the time a great intellectual center and the destruction of its huge libraries resulted in the loss of source documentation for much of the knowledge of the Islamic world. We can only piece it together.

OK, sorry for the hijack. Back to arguing about Hitler.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:20 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I see Johnny is invoking Godwin's Law.
Forget Godwin, when you sit down with a conservative and kindly point out whose budgets created most of the debt (Republicans), who was the last fiscal conservative (Clinton), who reduced abortions by the millions by refunding pregnancy prevention programs in 3rd world countries (Clinton and Obama), and on and on, you find a vacuum and a moral vacancy. What do these people actually have then? They use the word "liberal" the same way Hitler used "Jews" by attaching a set of false beliefs to the word. It is the same propaganda technique that fooled masses of people, and it stands apart from Hitler's other deeds.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:35 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote:On coming financial regulations - I'm not sure Jefferson would have much to say regarding the specifics of the coming proposals from the right or left.

In the current debate, the left wants reform while the right takes much more of a laissez-faire approach. Jefferson had nothing good to say about the unregulated power of corporations.

Agreed on Jefferson.

I don't think that the modern right is proposing anything that could really be considered laissez-faire. They may be using the words laissez-faire, but not really understanding what that means. Would a laissez faire economy have a Federal Reserve and national interest-rate policy? Would there be an FDIC? Would crippled banks (and companies from other industries) receive bailouts from heavily-lobbied legislators? Unless the GOP is proposing to eliminate all of these "fetters", then we're not talking about a LF economic policy.

I'm sure there will be more to talk about once the actual policy proposals are more complete and more public. I'll look forward to debating with you then.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 am

You are all literally Hitlers.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks...when do I start getting my royalties? Scroll down past the campers...

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Volkswagen/
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Hitlarity ensues

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:09 pm

That's a heapin' helpin' of Hitler, hoss.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:26 pm

TVaterlandspartei

Louise Jefferson: "Lionel, you'd better go to your room. I don't want you to get hit by your father."
Lionel Jefferson: "Why would Dad hit me?"
Louise Jefferson: "Because I'm not sure just where I'm going to throw him!"
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:25 pm

Speaking of heapin' helpins, I enjoyed quite a few of the Hitler Downfall YouTube clips yesterday.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/happy-birthday-hitler-hitler-downfall-meme-disappe,40314/

The Wolfenstein on was my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQdzexzbumc
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:00 pm

I want the Tea Partiers to let go of Jefferson (which is clearly not a good fit) and get in to Chester A. Arthur. There is a president for them. I found some quotes attributed to him!

Chester A. Arthur wrote:"The extravagant expenditure of public money is an evil not to be measured by the value of that money to the people who are taxed for it."

Chester A. Arthur wrote:"I may be President of the United States, but my private life is nobody's damned business."
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:00 pm

As Nathan Rabin of The AV Club said on Twitter about this time last year, "I don't care if it is Hitler's birthday. I'm not getting him anything. He knows why. That guy's exactly as bad as Hitler."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:17 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:As Nathan Rabin of The AV Club said on Twitter about this time last year, "I don't care if it is Hitler's birthday. I'm not getting him anything. He knows why. That guy's exactly as bad as Hitler."

It's my friend's Jake birthday on April 20th and he's not as bad as Hitler, as far as I know.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Selectively invoking Hitler

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:23 pm

I propose that we establish a new international standard of percieved badness, known as the 'hitler.'

Hitler himself would be the base unit of measurement, in that Hitler=exactly one 'hitler.'

We could then discuss the badness of things with confidence, knowing that we were all refering back to a standard unit of measurement. So that when I said (for example) "Dancing With the Stars is worse than five hitlers," everyone would know exactly how bad I think it is.

People of the Daily Page - are you with me?

PS - Dancing With the Stars is worse than five hitlers.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:35 pm

In that case, Marvell, Obama is three and one-half hitlers. Most liberals are only two hitlers.

Can we get some tiny little mustaches to use instead of stars for ranking purposes?

In other news I see Vicki McKenna will be joining the Young Republicans happy hour tomorrow night. This isn't at all like a tea party, no sir.

OK, back to the Jefferson talk. This was a good discussion before I got here.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 pm

ArturoBandini wrote: I'm not sure Jefferson would have much to say...

ArturoBandini wrote:Agreed on Jefferson.

Have you changed your mind on Jefferson and regulations on corporations, or are you just trying to cover all the bases?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government