MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Why no clocks in airports?

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Why no clocks in airports?

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:07 am

I just got back from a trip and spent considerable time in 5 airports. I forgot a watch and didn't bring my phone and noticed the strange absence of clocks in airports. I saw a couple but never when I really needed to know the time. Googling this doesn't bring up much other than people saying there are clocks on all the monitors, which: A. I seem to remember looking there and not seeing the time, and B. doesn't help much when you're rushing by trying to get to your gate 12 blocks away. There is no reason in the effing world not to have big clocks every 100 feet in an airport. It's ridiculous. Some will say not wearing a watch on a trip is ridiculous and I won't argue except to say I don't ever wear a watch and it was easy to forget AND there's really no excuse for not having multiple, obvious clocks in a goddamn airport.

I think Madison might have had some, I don't remember about O'hare, but Phoenix and the 2012 Ark/Denver airport were definitely lacking. Puerto Vallarta probably had them but I'm sure they were in spanish....duh.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why no clocks in airports?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:12 am

I've been asking this question for over a decade and never found an answer. The only thing I can think of is it's the same logic for not having clocks in a lot of post offices, banks, etc.: Clocks just remind people how long they've been waiting in line, which increases customer irritation.

It's a lame-ass reason, I know, but it's the only one I've ever come across.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:17 am

Because it only inspires, or at least necessitates, a dissertation on which time zone you're in, and an explanation on time zones in multiple languages for international travelers.

No clocks = you must do your own due diligence.

That's my guess.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:25 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Because it only inspires, or at least necessitates, a dissertation on which time zone you're in, and an explanation on time zones in multiple languages for international travelers.

Hmmm...
I sorta see your point, except that it seems to me without clocks, this confusion is only exacerbated by the fact that everyone's watch could reasonably have a different time. If you're trying to catch a flight out of Chicago, it doesn't make any difference what time it is in whatever place you came from or wherever your ultimate destination is. The only piece of information you absolutely need to know is what time it is in Chicago.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:27 am

Puerto Vallarta probably had them but I'm sure they were in spanish....duh.

What does 10:27 look like in Spanish?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:52 am

Similar, but more flamboyant. The zero has a sombrero on it.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:54 am

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Every airport I've been in has time at each gate and clocks in between.

Besides, don't you carry a cell phone with a clock?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:16 am

green union terrace chair wrote:I

I don't take a phone on vacation. Call me old fashioned but if somebody dies it'll just ruin my vacation to know about it.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:33 am

narcoleptish wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:I

I don't take a phone on vacation. Call me old fashioned but if somebody dies it'll just ruin my vacation to know about it.

I like your style.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:49 am

narcoleptish wrote:Googling this doesn't bring up much other than people saying there are clocks on all the monitors, which: A. I seem to remember looking there and not seeing the time, and B. doesn't help much when you're rushing by trying to get to your gate 12 blocks away.

Unfortunately, the current time on the monitors is: 1. usually in text as small as, or smaller than, the rest of the flight data, and 2. way off in a corner or bottom center, and in poorly maintained monitors, at risk of being obscured by the bezel.

Airports are not very good at putting a clock in your line of sight when you need one. Train stations (in my limited experience with them) seem a lot better at it.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Does anybody really know what time it is?
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:34 pm

green union terrace chair wrote: Every airport I've been in has time at each gate and clocks in between.

Sorry, but my experience (and a quick internet search revealing all the other people with the same complaint) tells me otherwise. It sure sounds like you've never needed to find a clock at an airport, so why would you even notice one way or the other? While true there are often clocks at the gates, that's exactly where they're least needed. If I'm already at my gate, I'm not really worried about getting there late. Elsewhere, you'll find few, if any, at just about every airport I've ever been in (and that's a lot.)

Since I want clocks in airports, I'd love to be proven wrong. So next time you're flying, why doncha take pictures of all the clocks you see and post them here.

green union terrace chair wrote:

Why should we have to? And how would this snotty bit of life advice have been helpful over a decade ago when I first noticed the general absence of clocks?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:47 pm

It's an opportunity to find an attractive member of the opposite sex (or the same sex if you swing that way) and start a conversation by asking for the time. :wink:
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Part of it may boil down to manual clocks could be inaccurate or not all synchronized; if someone missed a flight because of an inaccurate clock, they'd blame the airport. Keep the responsibility of getting from point A to point B on the customer as much as possible.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:36 pm

Since I retired, I seldom wear a watch. But when I fly, I always do so. I also reset my watch during flight to the time zone of my destination.

It's really not that hard to do.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Travel