MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Palm is up for sale

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Palm is up for sale

Postby rabble » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:04 am

Key Palm exec leaves amid reports of pending sale
Rumors of the sale have been flying around for a while now, with HTC until recently being named Most Likely to Aquire, but now it seems nobody knows if there are any takers.

Speaking as someone who has owned a Palm PDA since before cell phones were going to be The Next Big Thing, I hope somebody buys it and gets that OS off the ground. I ended up with a Droid because A) I wouldn't switch to ATT so I could get a Pre and B) I thought there was too great a chance Palm would fold before my warranty was up. I like the Droid most of the time but I was very surprised at how much it can't do, like completely synchronize and integrate the contacts list with the calendar like the Palm can.

So I hope Palm makes it. Their OS is better. Everything else, including the physical phone bodies, screens, and marketing, sucks. If they can get themselves turned around, and get something like this Google Navigation upon which I have become completely dependent, my next phone will be another Palm.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Palm is up for sale

Postby Beaver » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:19 am

Your wish came true. HP bought Palm.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/28/hp-buys-palm/
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Palm is up for sale

Postby rabble » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:25 am

Eyeah. Now I'm even more ambivalent. I'm not a big HP fan but maybe they'll take the ball and run with it and surprise everybody.

Although a few people are putting forth the idea that HP bought Palm just for certain patents it holds and because they're about to put some products on the market that would have brought infringement lawsuits from Palm.

We'll see. It's nice to see that there's still going to be a few upstarts in the mix.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games