MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

New Glarus Brewing

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

New Glarus Brewing

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:03 am

A friend told me that the owner of his favorite liquor told him that New Glarus no longer makes their Hearty Hop IPA. I went to their website and sure enough, it is no longer mentioned. Instead they have a new beer, a pale ale called Moon Man. I tried it; the five hops they use aren't well balanced and it tasted oily.

I love IPAs, but I don't really care for much else in the New Glarus line. My loss and theirs.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Glarus Brewing

Postby fennel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:40 am

That was their finest beer. Go figure.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:42 am

http://www.thedailypage.com/eats/articl ... icle=28548

Robin liked it, but then there aren't many Beer Here! columns featuring stinkers. However, Moon Man rates higher than Hop Hearty on Beer Advocate.

I've never had either, but I'm a big NG fan in general so the switch isn't much of a loss for me.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:48 am

The loss of Hop Hearty is regrettable, but Moon Man is one hell of a well-engineered, sessionable pale ale. I would have rather seen the Organic Revolution go, as they now have 2 pales in the lineup.

The great thing about New Glarus is they will often bring back old favorites if enough public interest is there and they frequently allow fans to choose what styles to brew next.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:51 am

I just toured their new digs last weekend. I'm not huge on IPA's but could get into a couple of pints of the Moon Man. The one beer I tried there that I absolutely hated was the Wisconsin Gold. They only serve it there and it's supposed to be a trappist beer, But it was far too Grolsch (yuck) and not nearly enough Chimay (delicious). I liked everything else though. Stone Soup is tasty Cabin Fever was acceptable. Great looking place though. They used a lot of the existing rock and did some beautiful landscaping. Not my favorite local but they are up there. Give me Lake Louie or Grumpy Troll any day. Also learned they are the most widely distributed beer in Wisconsin. Bigger than Miller.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:05 am

I loved the Hearty Hop. I love the Moon Man even more.

Also, they did retire Organic Revolution. It's now on the "Known & Loved" page: link. It seems that they're doing a pretty wide shake-up of their line-up. Uff-da Bock was around forever, and Yokel was a summer favorite of mine.

I see that the next Unplugged is going to be Enigma again. That makes me very, very happy. The only thing that could possibly top this news is if they decided to make the Bohemian Lager a year-round.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 pm

For whatever reason, Hop Hearty gave me a headache every time I tried to drink it. So I'm not sad about it leaving their lineup. Lake Louie's Kiss the Lips does not give me a headache. Hopalicious does not. Moon Man definitely does not, and I like it quite a bit.

But I think this thread can address another point about New Glarus Brewery: love it or hate it, Dan seems to have serious ADD when it comes to consistency in their beer lineup. Just when I get used to going to the liquor store in June/July to pick up some Yokel, it's gone the next year.

On the other hand, I love going to the liquor store and seeing something like Snowshoe Ale and getting excited to try a new beer that I certainly didn't expect to go home with.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:12 pm

wallrock wrote:I loved the Hearty Hop. I love the Moon Man even more.

+1

And I'm a hophead by nature.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:44 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I just toured their new digs last weekend. I'm not huge on IPA's but could get into a couple of pints of the Moon Man.

I was out there two weekends ago. Nice shiny new brewery. Never been a big fan of New Glarus other than the Organic Revolution Pale Ale. Figured that is all I would want to drink in the tasting area... until I tried the Moon Man. My favorite New Glarus brew yet.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:53 pm

I'm drinking a Cherry Stout as I write this. Well balanced barleys but I'd guess the cherries were picked a day early. And the barrel it was aged in....french oak I do believe, and the dominance of the butter overtones to the vanilla tells me it was the Vosges forest.

Just my opinion.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat May 01, 2010 10:39 am

narcoleptish wrote:the dominance of the butter overtones to the vanilla tells me it was the Vosges forest.

Just my opinion.

It's possible you picked up a bad bottle. What you're describing sounds like it might be diacetyl, an occasional defect in beer.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 01, 2010 10:52 am

gargantua wrote:What you're describing sounds like it might be diacetyl, an occasional defect in beer.

While I think narcoleptish was being satirical, diacetyl might explain why I thought the Moon Man I tried tasted oily. I'm going to have to get another sixer to try out and make sure I didn't get my first one from a bad batch.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails