MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Has anyone tried the Longhorn Steakhouse on the westside?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Has anyone tried the Longhorn Steakhouse on the westside?

Postby okiebp » Wed May 05, 2010 11:17 am

Just curious. It's been open for a little while now and curious if anyone has tried it yet.
okiebp

Re: Has anyone tried the Longhorn Steakhouse on the westside?

Postby barreg » Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Considering that Longhorn Steakhouse is owned by Darden Restaurants, which is the parent company of Red Lobster and Olive Garden, I wouldn't have very high expectations for it.
barreg

Postby talagaster » Wed May 05, 2010 2:02 pm

barreg wrote:Considering that Longhorn Steakhouse is owned by Darden Restaurants, which is the parent company of Red Lobster and Olive Garden, I wouldn't have very high expectations for it.

Right, we all know it's part of a chain, it's on the West Side, after all.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Wed May 05, 2010 2:11 pm

We had one in Boston, it was meh. If you prefer higher end steakhouses (like me), its a step down for sure.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 05, 2010 8:35 pm

talagaster wrote:
barreg wrote:Considering that Longhorn Steakhouse is owned by Darden Restaurants, which is the parent company of Red Lobster and Olive Garden, I wouldn't have very high expectations for it.

Right, we all know it's part of a chain, it's on the West Side, after all.

Uh-huh. So there aren't any chains on the East side? And, Brasserie V, Jac's, Lombardino's, Smokey's, Greenbush, Pizza Brutta, Vintage on the West side....you're saying those are chains?

Maybe you were being sarcastic, or maybe you said a stupid thing there. Which was it?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MissBadger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:59 am

Oooh, oooh, I did!

Service? When we walked in, the wait was 15 minutes, so we went to order a drink. The bartender had not the SLIGHTEST clue what the hell she was doing (ever heard of training an employee before putting them on the floor, Longhorn?) and by the time I ordered my drink 2 minutes after we arrived, our table was ready. I then spent 10 minutes waiting for the bartender to shake up some of their signature pineapple vodka with some ice to pour in a martini glass.

The waiter was really pleasant, but I ordered a blue cheese (or horseradish, or something) crust on my steak that he forgot. Had the fried shrimp appetizer, which was way better than expected. Husband had the ribs, which were... ribs. Good, but not mindblowing. The aformentioned non-crusted steak was decent... definitely not the best I've ever had, but at a chain I wouldn't expect it to be. Didn't have dessert but it did look good.

Basically, it was okay, but the service (more at the bar than at the table) was lacking, and I'd rather go to Outback. It's about the same quality, but cheaper, so more bang for your buck.
MissBadger

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews