MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Steve Jobs is a HUUUUUGE fucking pussy

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Steve Jobs is a HUUUUUGE fucking pussy

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri May 07, 2010 10:31 am

So Ellen Degeneres did an iPhone spoof and was then forced to apologize for it on air, presumably because the long arm of the Apple Legal Dept. threatened some kind of nonsensical action.

Here's the video and apology, if you care:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRx_g1ljlUM

Fuck you Apple, you humorless iTwats. It's not enough you're raking in millions in gadget sales, you have to be above criticism and satire too? Jon Stewart said it better than I can:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/2 ... 56629.html

Full disclosure: I own a MacBook and an iPod. No iPad yet because I'm waiting for them to release the one with "wings" for those heavy flow days.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Steve Jobs is a HUUUUUGE fucking pussy

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 07, 2010 10:49 am

Oh, Uncle. You didn't.

Uncle_Leaver wrote:No iPad yet because I'm waiting for them to release the one with "wings" for those heavy flow days.

You did.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri May 07, 2010 10:52 am

Shouldn't it be iPussy?
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri May 07, 2010 11:04 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Full disclosure: I own a MacBook and an iPod.

I'm a longtime Apple user. I like their products, but (especially lately) their behavior as a business makes me cringe.

I could make a list, but I'll focus for now on their often arbitrary and bizarre rejections of iPhone apps for their store, and their recent feuding with Adobe, which feels like it can only end badly for those of us who rely on Adobe's graphics software for our livelihood.

Between Apple and (increasingly) Google, Microsoft isn't looking like half the evil empire it once did.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 am

My beef with Steve Jobs has more to do with how he is working overtime to completely devalue the word "amazing". Is there an iPhone App to help him be a little less impressed with his company's products?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri May 07, 2010 12:11 pm

rrnate wrote:...working overtime to completely devalue the word "amazing".

Don't forget "insanely great" (an oldie but a goodie), "revolutionary" and more recently, "magical". The latter especially causes me to tune out.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri May 07, 2010 1:11 pm

mrak wrote:
rrnate wrote:...working overtime to completely devalue the word "amazing".

Don't forget "insanely great" (an oldie but a goodie), "revolutionary" and more recently, "magical". The latter especially causes me to tune out.

Steve Jearbs wrote:Ellen's parody was so insanely great that we magically lost our sense of humor and had to revolutionize her attitude with our amazing legal team!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri May 07, 2010 3:25 pm

It's a funny parody, and more about some (older) people just having a tough time with it. Her apology was still funny, even if she was "forced" to give it.

Don't assume Steve Jobs had anything to do with it. Many big companies have semi-autonomous legal departments that are always looking to protect their brand without oversight. Sometimes they need someone from Marketing to say "this action will do more harm than good ... just let it go."

Then again, maybe Steve just really doesn't like Ellen. Who knows.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri May 07, 2010 8:49 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Don't assume Steve Jobs had anything to do with it.

Jobs is the public face of Apple. Like it or not, if the company looks stupid and petty, he looks stupid and petty.

When Windows sucks wind, Gates gets the flak. It's no different for Apple. I know that probably doesn't sit well with the brainwashed fanboy base out there, but fuck 'em, it's the way shit rolls.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat May 08, 2010 8:48 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Don't assume Steve Jobs had anything to do with it.

Jobs is the public face of Apple. Like it or not, if the company looks stupid and petty, he looks stupid and petty.

I also have some trouble imagining a roomful of Apple lawyers saying "Let's strongarm this celebrity into an apology for saying bad things about us. But don't tell Steve we're about to do something very public that will probably piss off a whole lot of people, generate a backlash, and bring the phrase "Barbara Streisand effect" back into the public eye. Whatever you do, DON'T do that. Wait till one of his friends tells him about it at a party."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sat May 08, 2010 10:27 am

As someone who is actually in a corporate legal department, I can tell you with complete confidence that if some lawyer in such a department went after a high-profile figure like Ellen Degeneres without signoff from the very highest levels of the company, that lawyer (and, most likely, his or her direct supervisor) would be unemployed within days.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Stomach wrote:Shouldn't it be iPussy?

No, that's Leaver's nickname.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games