MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison Sourdough Co.

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Madison Sourdough Co.

Postby crumpet33 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Liking the new Madison Sourdough Co. on Willy St in the old Escape location. It's similar to Marigold Kitchen and Mana Cafe in the "soup, salad, cafe" model, with breakfast in the morning and the cafe open past lunch hours. They also are now the storefront for the rest of the MSC bakery, so have baguettes and such for sale as well.

I had a good brie/leek quiche when in there for my first visit and one of the peach custard galettes I usually get at their farmers market stand.
crumpet33

Re: Madison Sourdough Co.

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue May 04, 2010 9:48 am

Do you enjoy working there as well?
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 04, 2010 10:35 am

Oh, give him (her) a break. I hadn't really focused on the new Sourdough location (the old Escape sign is still up) and now I have. I didn't know it had food other than bread, either. I'll give it a try, having read about it here, since I am on Willy Street fairly often.

Creating on-line buzz is a perfectly legitimate business practice within reasonable limits, IMO. Maybe the business ought to be buying advertising on the sites it uses to promote, but enforcing that is not my job. We don't know who the original poster was, anyway.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue May 04, 2010 10:56 am

snoqueen wrote:Creating on-line buzz is a perfectly legitimate business practice within reasonable limits, IMO. Maybe the business ought to be buying advertising on the sites it uses to promote, but enforcing that is not my job. We don't know who the original poster was, anyway.

It's legitimate if the poster identifies their affiliation from the start. Otherwise it just looks like a planted post.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Tue May 04, 2010 12:07 pm

I thought the handle crumpet33 looked familiar-- it is, because I follow it on Twitter. I truly don't think that this person works at Madison Sourdough.

I also don't think it's so weird/suspect that someone's first post on TDPF [after a year of being a registered member] is a local business review. It's nice to have an online forum to go to and share one's experiences-- from my own perspective I like to support and promote the businesses that I love in my neighborhood via online methods as well as word of mouth so that maybe others from beyond the neighborhood will check them out, thus they become exponentially successful and potentially stick around longer for everyone to enjoy.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 04, 2010 1:39 pm

If crumpet33 actually worked at MSCo, he/she would have typed in all caps, because IT IS LOUD IN THERE AND NO ONE CAN HEAR ANYTHING OVER THE DIN.

Editors: "Breakfast, lunch, and din" would actually be a great title for the review of this place.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue May 04, 2010 5:50 pm

I'm looking forward to stopping in. I really miss Escape in that location (One Wheel Wednesdays were THE best moto event in Madison—the anti-QSL-Bike-Night), but I was happy to see Madison Sourdough had moved in.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crumpet33 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Woah, there, drinkinblackcoffee. I'm just seriously happy to have a new locally owned place in my neighborhood. So happy I wanted to burst into a song and dance number but instead chose the saner route of the local food forums.

And Bookpolice, while I respect your reviews and postings: if it's too loud, you're too old. Yeah, I said it, what?
crumpet33

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 11, 2010 10:32 pm

It's not loud because of volume, if that makes sense. It's loud because the softest surface in the place to absorb sound is probably the quiche. And that's nothing against the quiche--I haven't had it--but rather to indicate that every surface is hard. When the place is busy, there are a lot of moderate conversations bouncing around in there. The staff had to ask me to repeat myself, and I don't order meekly.

Old? Maybe. Too old? Nah.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed May 12, 2010 1:32 am

TheBookPolice wrote:It's not loud because of volume, if that makes sense. It's loud because the softest surface in the place to absorb sound is probably the quiche. And that's nothing against the quiche--I haven't had it--but rather to indicate that every surface is hard. When the place is busy, there are a lot of moderate conversations bouncing around in there.

This is my number one complaint with new restaurants, nightclubs, and bars. Apparently the idea is to make them seem "lively" even when there isn't much of a crowd, but as you've noted, it doesn't take very many people to make these echo chambers into an annoying din. I end up having to shout at my companions, they shout back, and we all leave with ringing ears.

Even worse is when I try to find a place to take older relatives out for a bite. These days, when I pick a place to eat with my parents, the very first criteria on my mind is whether we'll be able to have a conversation without repeating ourselves.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Lohrentz » Wed May 12, 2010 9:04 am

Hi,

I am one of the owners of Madison Sourdough. You are correct about it being too loud when we opened. We have taken steps to decrease the sound in the cafe and it is a lot better now.

The problem was a design flaw by first-time cafe owners, not some nefarious plot to make the place seem more boisterous with smoke and mirrors.

If there are any other issues, please call and let me know. We are trying to be responsive to any concerns.

David Lohrentz
Co-owner
Madison Sourdough
608-442-8009
David Lohrentz

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 12, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks for the input, David. I'm guessing that ilikebeans wasn't implying nefariousness, just the crafting of an illusion--like grocery stores fronting out their merchandise to make it look like the shelves are full to the utmost bounty.

But regardless, I'm glad that it was neither nefarious nor intentional, and equally glad that the acoustic properties of the space are being managed.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

It's NOT a morning bun!

Postby kulgar » Tue May 18, 2010 11:57 am

Yes, I'm the morning bun nazi as one can tell from previous posts. MSC sold me something they call a "morning bun" apparently because it is made out of croissant dough and has sugar and cinnamon on it. Congrats for getting those three ingredients right.

BUT it does not in any way resemble the authentic morning buns sold just down the street at Lazy Jane's or on the near west side at LaBrioche.

MSC appears to throw croissant dough in a muffin pan and bake it. There's none of the rolling out the dough, adding the cinnamon and sugar to the surface and then rolling it up, cutting it and putting it into the muffin tin. The gooey ingredients don't bake into the bun, it doesn't break apart like an onion and the love and attention to detail just aren't there. It's a lot of work to make a morning bun correctly but the artistry is rewarded when executed properly. That's why people like me go crazy over the original and crazier still when imposters all over town market an inferior product.

It's false advertising, selling a unicycle but calling it a bicycle. And charging a quarter more for an undersized, poor imitation is just robbery.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby David Lohrentz » Fri May 21, 2010 4:38 pm

We developed our morning bun in response to people who felt the original was too big and too heavy, and they asked us if we could develop our own signature version that was lighter and uniquely our own take on it. So far we have heard 100 positive comments on our morning bun for every negative comment. We have other gooey products with nuts and caramel wrapped up in them and if that is what you want perhaps I could suggest our nut roll. If you aren't 100% satisfied with anything you have purchased at Madison Sourdough, please ask for one of the owners and we will give you a refund.

Edit to add: In any case, the term "morning bun" was not invented by Ovens of Brittany, and includes a much wider range than what the above poster seems to think it has to be.
David Lohrentz

Postby Ducatista » Fri May 21, 2010 5:24 pm

You sound a little more defensive than responsive in this thread. I say that in case it wasn't your intent.

(Maybe I'm the only one who's reading it that way.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews