MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison Sourdough Co.

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Madison Sourdough Co.

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 21, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm looking forward to trying Madison Sourdough's morning bun, because I never can finish the "classic" ones and I find them too sweet.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Lohrentz » Fri May 21, 2010 6:00 pm

You are correct that it was not my intent to be defensive. We are very confident in the quality and consistency of our products.

It probably is best that I avoid online forums.
David Lohrentz

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat May 22, 2010 7:35 am

Nah, it's probably just best that you avoid kulgar. His brand of bizarre, nitpicky, label-crazy critique defies most attempts at rational discussion.

I thought your response was fine--responsive with just a touch of STFU, and even if that was interpreted rather than inherent, I'm still fine with it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat May 22, 2010 11:03 am

TheBookPolice wrote:...responsive with just a touch of STFU

The customer is always right, except when he needs to shut the fuck up? I think "and another thing: the moron seems to think morning buns were invented by Ovens" is better shared around the company water cooler, where you can finish with a satisfying "give me a fucking break."

Sorry, David Lohrentz, I've jumped from your perfectly fine post to musing about customer relations via social media. In the era of one-on-one comment/response, will businesses increasingly be free to drop the veil of humility and just say what's on their minds when an unreasonable customer throws some shit their way? Could be fun to watch.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat May 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Ducatista wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:...responsive with just a touch of STFU

The customer is always right, except when he needs to shut the fuck up? I think "and another thing: the moron seems to think morning buns were invented by Ovens" is better shared around the company water cooler, where you can finish with a satisfying "give me a fucking break."

It's the lingua franca of the forum business. If the business entity doesn't mind having that message board-y aspect (see: Incanto's Chris Cosentino on Twitter, bitching about no-show kitchen staff), then I say go nuts.

If, however, David regrets creating that impression and wants to avoid such impressions, that's his choice and abstention from forum discussions is indeed probably best.

But I don't see a fundamental problem with businesses engaging in that kind of dialogue, at least not in the way we've seen in this thread so far.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Jeesh, I thought it was great we got an in-person reply from the business owner himself. What more can you ask? He should come over in person with a fresh pastry?

Picky customers are pretty much part of the restaurant (food) business, and you can't please everybody.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun May 23, 2010 9:12 am

snoqueen wrote:What more can you ask? He should come over in person with a fresh pastry?

Er, what now?

Like Book, I don't see a fundamental problem with businesses mixing it up on line, to whatever degree they're comfortable — but calling your customers out (even when they deserve it) is still a tricky dialect, better used by some than others. I'm sure you can tell as well as I can when someone's a little snippy without intending to be. That doesn't always play well for a business owner, though I imagine it's a natural part of getting the hang of this online customer contact thingy.

snoqueen wrote:Picky customers are pretty much part of the restaurant (food) business, and you can't please everybody.

Exactly.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun May 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Ducatista wrote:You sound a little more defensive than responsive in this thread. I say that in case it wasn't your intent.

(Maybe I'm the only one who's reading it that way.)

To me, it's you who sounds a lot more defensive and thin-skinned than responsive.

In any event, thanks loads for removing a business owner from the forum. Makes the place so much nicer.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels that way.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun May 23, 2010 6:23 pm

We all read things differently, eh, rabble?

I think how businesses can use social media to their advantage and to their peril is an interesting topic, but I'm geeky that way.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rutabagas » Mon May 24, 2010 10:18 am

As someone who has read TDP forums for years but only recently registered and has not posted often, this is an interesting thread.

Everyone has to post something for the first time, no? Why is it automatically assumed that a new poster with something nice to say is suspect?

And Ducatista, David explained why they do what they do, offered any unsatisfied customer a complete refund and merely pointed out that OoB did not invent the morning bun, a point worth making, IMO.

I am a huge fan of the snark, generally, but sometimes it's a little thick in here, even for me.

Can't take the heat? I know...
I just think that these forums are a great way to share info and keep up with what's going on, and it'd be cool if newbies didn't have to suffer through some weird and vaguely hostile initiation rights in order to contribute just the same as folks with 3000 posts. Just sayin.

Let the floggings commence.
rutabagas

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 24, 2010 10:40 am

No flogging from this corner. I don't much mind my posts being perceived as weird or vaguely hostile or snarky, even when I think the characterization is whack. And I think the inclination to protect a newbie is nice, whether or not he needs it.

On a completely unrelated topic: I'm a fan of MSC bread. Interpret as you like...
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 24, 2010 11:04 am

Ducatista wrote:No flogging from this corner. I don't much mind my posts being perceived as weird or vaguely hostile or snarky, even when I think the characterization is whack. And I think the inclination to protect a newbie is nice, whether or not he needs it.

On a completely unrelated topic: I'm a fan of MSC bread. Interpret as you like...

Maybe you could go chase them away.

Oh, wait. You already did. My bad. Never mind. It's all nice, whether or not it's whack.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 24, 2010 12:27 pm

I was mean to the nice man and now he's gone, I got it.

Not the most interesting threadjack, IMO, but my business/social media tangent was a total flop, so if you want to keep yours alive, don't let me chase you away.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Ducatista wrote:I was mean to the nice man and now he's gone, I got it.

I'm sorry, should I stfu?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 24, 2010 12:51 pm

Wack, get it str8 social media masdebater.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews