MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Restaurant wine pours

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Restaurant wine pours

Postby narcoleptish » Sat May 22, 2010 9:18 am

Isn't there some kind of standard pour you should get when ordering wine by the glass? My girlfriend and I were at an Atwood restaurant last night and she ordered a $6 glass of red. It came in a type of glass that we happen to own, so I later measured at home and their pour was 4 oz at the most but probably closer to 3. She ordered a second glass just to see if the first was a mistake, but it was the same.

Are we unreasonable to expect it to be a little less than $1 a sip? I would be embarrassed to serve that to people. It's like a "fuck you" in a glass.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Restaurant wine pours

Postby gargantua » Sat May 22, 2010 10:18 am

I hate to say it, but I think your experience is pretty standard. With our great drinking culture here, a full glass is known as a "Wisconsin Pour". I like those, but I have to pour 'em myself.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat May 22, 2010 12:26 pm

I should have mentioned that she is a regular wine drinker/orderer and was put off by this particular pour.

I understand the big push now for "proper" glassware and giving your booze room to breathe and all that minutiae that means something to about 1 out of 8 people (maybe), but perhaps they could put it in a smaller glass to give the regular folks at least an illusion of a decent drink, and offer a "tasting glass" for the enlightened.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat May 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Fine...

Before one of the link masters beats me to it:

http://www.94stewart.com/b2blog/index.p ... _wine_pour

4 oz.

My choice of not drinking $6 "glasses" of $5 wine in restaurants seems wiser all the time. Another martini please..
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon May 24, 2010 1:29 pm

narcoleptish wrote:an Atwood restaurant

Does it rhyme with "obhan"?

If so, I've also wondered about their wine pours. I wrote it off as being served in a non-typical wine glass, but always did seem like a very small amount compared to any other place I ordered a glass of wine.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon May 24, 2010 1:36 pm

As long as I can remember, the standard pour has been 5 ounces. So that's five glasses per wine bottle. With practice you can pour off one bottle equally into five glasses at a single go.

Four ounces is just cheating unless they advertise that it's four ounces.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon May 24, 2010 2:15 pm

eriedasch wrote:

If this was the case I would not admit it because I really like their food and the place itself and would continue to go there and order wineless meals...
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon May 24, 2010 7:17 pm

Just order water when you're at the restaurant. Then, when you get home, get out the box o' wine and pour yourself a ginourmous one. Then, laugh all the way to the bank. Ha ha ha!

Seriously, I think if a place got a reputation for giving good wine deals, more people would start showing up.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 24, 2010 8:35 pm

gargantua wrote:I hate to say it, but I think your experience is pretty standard. With our great drinking culture here, a full glass is known as a "Wisconsin Pour". I like those, but I have to pour 'em myself.

There are a few Wisconsin-pour restaurants in town, but they're usually places where you wouldn't necessarily want a big glass of whatever they're pouring. The Ave and Nick's come to mind.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue May 25, 2010 12:03 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
eriedasch wrote:

If this was the case I would not admit it because I really like their food and the place itself and would continue to go there and order wineless meals...

Don't get me wrong, I like Dohbon's food a lot and go there maybe once a month. However I am not afraid to point out minor problems with places I enjoy, in hopes they might address them. Their service has been spotty at times and shorting people on $6-7 glasses of wine is worth calling a place out on.

Yes I could order water or some other beverage, but I like a glass of wine with my meal and will not compromise when there are so many other great dining options out there that ARE capable of pouring you a glass of wine larger than 3 oz.

If they did improve things, it could only help their business and encourage people to go back more often.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue May 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Just a suggestion; if you enjoy a restaurant and it's food but are annoyed by the wine pours, call them and ask if they allow you to bring in your own bottle, and if so what is their corking fee. If you're a regular you can probably negotiate the cork rate.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Seriously, I think if a place got a reputation for giving good wine deals, more people would start showing up.
You are exacty right, and what you are talking about is a trend that started on the East Coast a few years back but seems to have waned. Most restaurants – even schmancy ones – still don't take wine seriously as an accompaniment to food. They view it as a peculiar mechanism (read "crutch") to support a lazy business model, and so effectively exclude it for the core of their clientele. The expectation is that if you have money to spend on wine, you must be a snobbish push-over, so you'll gladly subsidize those customers who would just as well drink a Pud Light or Spotted Sow.

There's no sensible reason why a restaurant should charge more than the very handsome margin charged by retailers.

And there's plenty of good, inexpensive, wine to be found out there if a buyer has a clue and is paying attention. As a counter-example, go look at the selection at Whole Foods. Just like the produce, it all spills from a pipeline: small-scale producers (or distributors) don't have a chance.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Wed May 26, 2010 12:22 am

fennel wrote:
There's no sensible reason why a restaurant should charge more than the very handsome margin charged by retailers.

Everything at restaurants costs more than retail because restaurants aren't retailers. So the "sensible reason" to charge more is to make a profit, which is what restaurants are in business to do. It's the same reason why movie theaters charge a gazillion dollars for a few cents worth of popcorn. You're under no obligation to buy it, so I can't fathom what there is to complain about.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby coldspotter » Fri May 28, 2010 3:54 pm

[quote="Bland]You're under no obligation to buy it, so I can't fathom what there is to complain about.[/quote]

As I am not under any obligation to buy it, I don't. The restaurants that buy a $7 bottle and charge $7 for a glass (or more) will hopefully be out of business soon enough. If more restaurants made a fair profit on their wines, they would sell more wine. Customers get tired of feeling taken advantage of--I know I am. When restaurants in Madison charge more for wine than restaurants do in Chicago, there is a problem. I am also tired of getting wine that has gone bad because it sat open for too long, probably because the mark-up kept people from ordering it.
coldspotter

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Going to the Big Ten Pub tonight for their fish fry. I'm an IPA drinker, but Ms Vilas likes her chardonnay. Great blue gill and they do the Wisconsin Pour ®. It will be a cheap date.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails