MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Restaurant wine pours

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Restaurant wine pours

Postby fennel » Fri May 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Going to the Big Ten Pub tonight for their fish fry. I'm an IPA drinker, but Ms Vilas likes her chardonnay.

Maybe mix it up a little and try a zesty Muscadet with that. Or an Austrian Pinot Blanc. Not expensive; muy tasty.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri May 28, 2010 5:44 pm

coldspotter wrote:As I am not under any obligation to buy it, I don't. ....
I think you're spot on, coldspotter. In terms of wine with food, Madison restaurants trend conventional if not atavistic. Good food offerings? Yep. Good Beer offerings? Aye. Good wine offerings? ... Hello?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 28, 2010 6:37 pm

fennel wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Going to the Big Ten Pub tonight for their fish fry. I'm an IPA drinker, but Ms Vilas likes her chardonnay.

Maybe mix it up a little and try a zesty Muscadet with that. Or an Austrian Pinot Blanc. Not expensive; muy tasty.

That won't mix well with my Lake Louie Kiss My Ass.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri May 28, 2010 6:47 pm

Already into the IPA, are you? Are you that parochial before the sun is over the yard arm?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 28, 2010 7:04 pm

The real question is: are you that pedantic and supercilious in real life?

Rhetorical quesion, as the obvious answer is yes.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri May 28, 2010 8:55 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The real question is: are you that pedantic and supercilious in real life?

Isn't that just another way of saying "wine snob?"

Fuckin' wine snobs ...
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MissBadger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:15 am

coldspotter wrote:As I am not under any obligation to buy it, I don't. The restaurants that buy a $7 bottle and charge $7 for a glass (or more) will hopefully be out of business soon enough. If more restaurants made a fair profit on their wines, they would sell more wine.

You ever worked in a restaurant or bar? You will not find a single one that doesn't sell a glass for the price they paid for the bottle. If it's a $7 bottle of wine, the glass is $7. If it's a $5 bottle of wine, the glass is $5. There's a slightly smaller markup on expensive bottles, because they don't sell anywhere near as often, and it would make buying it prohibitively expensive. There's usually a slight benefit to buying a bottle instead of four or five glasses.

It's called making a profit, which all restaurants, bars, stores, and businesses are out to do. When I worked for a coffee shop, the SMALLEST markup on anything was the pastries. They cost the shop about fifty cents and sold for $1.50 - $2. That's about the same percentage markup as anyone's getting on a glass of wine. A pound of coffee beans? Purchased for a buck and sold for $10. It's sort of how it works.
MissBadger

Postby Goober McTuber » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:22 am

MissBadger wrote:
coldspotter wrote:As I am not under any obligation to buy it, I don't. The restaurants that buy a $7 bottle and charge $7 for a glass (or more) will hopefully be out of business soon enough. If more restaurants made a fair profit on their wines, they would sell more wine.

You ever worked in a restaurant or bar? You will not find a single one that doesn't sell a glass for the price they paid for the bottle. If it's a $7 bottle of wine, the glass is $7. If it's a $5 bottle of wine, the glass is $5. There's a slightly smaller markup on expensive bottles, because they don't sell anywhere near as often, and it would make buying it prohibitively expensive. There's usually a slight benefit to buying a bottle instead of four or five glasses.

It's called making a profit, which all restaurants, bars, stores, and businesses are out to do. When I worked for a coffee shop, the SMALLEST markup on anything was the pastries. They cost the shop about fifty cents and sold for $1.50 - $2. That's about the same percentage markup as anyone's getting on a glass of wine. A pound of coffee beans? Purchased for a buck and sold for $10. It's sort of how it works.

I don't really have a problem with restaurants pricing a glass of wine at their bottle cost. The problem is when they're also getting 7 or 8 glasses out of the same bottle.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails