MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

So long to The Pub

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

So long to The Pub

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:06 pm

So after Saturday The Pub as we know it will cease to exist:

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... 4c38aed2a8

I know many people who always hated that place. Me, I've always been a fan. It's always had a weird skeazy factor that I appreciated. Come 1am you could find a packed bar with a wide range of people milling about having a good time. The drinks were sometimes almost too strong, but it never stopped me from ordering more. There was wide open spaces around the pool tables and for a while there was a great space in the back with air hockey(space stayed, air hockey didn't.)

Sitting in the window of the Pub on a Saturday afternoon in the winter watching people fall on the ice is one of my fondest memories.

I will say I don't go there nearly as much as I used to, but ever now and again, I enjoy the character.

The new place may be nicer with live music. That is a plus, although the article says they'll have cover bands 4 nights a week. I like a good cover band now and again, but 4 nights a week. Come on, we have tons of bands in this town that play original music. Maybe that will change over time, and maybe I'll grow to like the new place, but it will never be The Pub.

RIP Pub.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: So long to The Pub

Postby Crockett » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 am

I liked The Pub before the smoking ban. That is one place that needed smoke to cover the rotting (insert noun here) smell.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:26 am

Even as a student I was always more of an upper-State bar goer—Plaza, Irish Pub, Stillwaters, Nar Bar, Nick's, Lundeen's, Paul's Club—but I spent my fair share of 80s late nights and Saturday afternoons in The Pub's scuzzy embrace.

Went to an after-bar above The Pub once—it was a crazy rooming-house setup, as I hazily recall.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:02 am

Yeah, 4 nights of coverbands is a bit much. I can understand coverbands on the weekends, when people are just looking for background music as they get wasted, but you would think they could at least give a local music night on Wednesday or Thursday.

Also, Whiskey River Saloon is the worst name I have ever heard of for a bar. It sounds like the name of a restaurant they would put in the Old West section of a Six Flags.

Forget the oil spill, this is the real national tragedy. RIP The Pub.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:25 am

The Pub was my second home for several years in the early 90's. Ahh, the stories that those walls could tell....
However, having visited several times in the last year, it is clear that The Pub that I know and love is already gone. The "scuzzy embrace" is already just a memory. The Pub remains in name only- one that will depart on Saturday. It's probably just better that way.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:11 am

talagaster wrote:Also, Whiskey River Saloon is the worst name I have ever heard of for a bar. It sounds like the name of a restaurant they would put in the Old West section of a Six Flags.

Yeah, I get the feeling they had to drop "Ye Olde" from the beginning of the name because it wouldn't fit on the sign.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:38 am

I can take some solace knowing underage kids still have the Kollege Klub to go get drunk... at least until that gets renovated and turned into the Lasso Giddy-Up Buckaroo Bar.

Why would I even need a bar if there is a whole River of Whiskey to drink from? Throw in a Cola Lake and I'm set.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:26 am

Ducatista wrote:Even as a student I was always more of an upper-State bar goer—Plaza, Irish Pub, Stillwaters, Nar Bar, Nick's, Lundeen's, Paul's Club—but I spent my fair share of 80s late nights and Saturday afternoons in The Pub's scuzzy embrace.

Yeah, I too spent a fair amount of time at the Pub in the early years of my legalized drinking. But I eventually moved on up the street to the Plaza (aka, the 'Za) and all the other places you mentioned.

In the late 70s (when Wisconsin had the 18 year old drinking age) some under aged teens (like me) could occasionally pass for a legal aged drinker at the bars that never carded. The Pub always carded so once I was legal, it seemed cool to go there and all the other places I could never go before (like Headliners).

Eventually, the novelty of attending the Pub wore off, and it became just another student bar to me. And then of course, I got older and no longer fit the demographic of a student bar. The last time I recall even being in the Pub was sometime in the late 80s. Seems the older my friends and I got, the further east we migrated (first just up the street to the Plaza and Nicks, then eventually all the way over to the Crystal Corner and the Harmony Bar).

I did occasionally sit in the window seats at the Pub and watch people going by on State St. Unlike some legendary patrons (usually drunk UW alumni), I never rated girls by holding up playing cards. Wasn't my style (I had enough trouble meeting girls without pissing them off).

Most of my Pub memories are of playing arcade games in the early 80s. Games like Pole Position, Tapper, Paper Boy, Spy Hunter. Today, if I play one of those games on my computer, it takes me right back to the Pub (the only thing missing is the Marlboro, the tap beer, and of course, my youth).

Also, the Pub was the first bar I entered when I could drink legally. On my 18th birthday, (at one minute past Midnight) I presented my driver’s license at the door and got one of their 22oz birthday cups of beer. Looking back, I'm surprised they let me in. Why? Because I had not yet obtained the coveted Wisconsin ID card.

(OK, a history lesson for the youngsters: )
At that time Wisconsin Drivers licenses didn't have pictures. So you had to go to the register of deeds and get a State of Wisconsin ID card, which had your picture on it. The picture was a black and white photo that you actually supplied yourself, usually from a photo booth. Bars could refuse Wisconsin residents if they did not present a Wisconsin ID card. So when you turned 18, the first thing you did was apply for a Wisconsin ID card (on the first available business day, of course). The card took a couple of days to arrive in the mail, so they gave you a receipt. Incredibly, some bars would serve you if you showed the receipt and a driver’s license. To this day, I still have my Wisconsin ID card and the receipt for getting it (enshrined in a manila folder, for posterity). I believe it cost $3.00.

Ducatista wrote:Went to an after-bar above The Pub once—it was a crazy rooming-house setup, as I hazily recall.

Speaking of above The Pub: In the early 80s a good friend of mine rented a room on the floor above the Pub. It was a small efficiency (one of at least a dozen or more), with a bed, a fridge, and cockroaches. On the west end of the floor there was a large shared kitchen and a large shared shower and restroom. He lived up there about 2 or 3 years, and reported that living on State Street was no place for peace and quiet. At that time, most of the other residents were students from the Peoples Republic of China.

Sometimes when he knew I was coming right over, my friend would stick something in the door (which was security locked) so I could get in. One time when I arrived, the door was locked. I shouted up to my friend, and he came down to let me in (puzzled that the door was not blocked open as he had left it). On his way down, one of his neighbors stopped him and handed him an envelope. In excited broken English, the neighbor said (repeatedly) "VERY IMPORTANT message for YOU!” My friend thanked him and looked at the envelope. It was the piece of junk mail he had used to block the door. It was from Publishers Clearing House and had my friend's name printed in big letters saying he may have won several million dollars. We had a good laugh, imagining what good fortune that neighbor thought was possible in the USA .
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby diaper daniels » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:22 am

I met my wife at the Pub. So it's sad to see it turn into the Dry Bean on State St. :(
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Many good times were had in that stinky bar - gettin' drunk, lookin' at chicks, playing foosball and table hockey. Helping to carry my plastered friend out of there on his 21st birthday. What a great place. I outgrew it like everybody else, but back in the day it sure was fun.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madisonmarine » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:55 pm

What an amazing place. Cheap drinks and there's a mechanical bull on Wednesday nights. $2 Schlitz you can't really beat it. I liked how it was a different than your average college crowd with people of all ages there having a good time. I recommend this place to anyone and be sure to get there early on Friday and Saturday nights, they had quite a line at 11:30 when I rolled through
madisonmarine

Postby Average Joe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:07 pm

So, is this your first time at the rodeo?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:12 pm

madisonmarine wrote:What an amazing place. Cheap drinks and there's a mechanical bull on Wednesday nights. $2 Schlitz you can't really beat it. I liked how it was a different than your average college crowd with people of all ages there having a good time. I recommend this place to anyone and be sure to get there early on Friday and Saturday nights, they had quite a line at 11:30 when I rolled through

What an amazing d-bag you are for posting when you obviously work there or own the place. If you're gonna advertise, let us know who you are fuckwad.

Sometimes this is worse than spambots on the forum.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:27 am

Stebben84 wrote:What an amazing d-bag you are for posting when you obviously work there or own the place.

yup. good use of amazing Stebbs.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:55 am

I'm really going to miss the Pub. I damn near lived there about 10 years or so ago.

It was the Pub that introduced me to Point.

$4 pitchers of Point Special all damn night long.

And the Bacardi Girls who gave me all kinds of Bacardi swag simply for buying tray after tray of $1 Bacardi Limón shots for everyone within earshot. (I still have a few of the visors stashed away somewhere).

And the way the bartenders would grab the remote and skip the internet jukebox to the next song if you played something gay, even though you paid for it.

And how you could go to the back and smoke joints where they stored the old air hockey table any old time you wanted to.

*sigh

Goodbye my old friend.

:cry:
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe