MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
shriners
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Wish You Were (Still) Here

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Wish You Were (Still) Here

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:07 am

Antonio's, on Park.

Liked Paisan's when it was in the Porta Bella cellar.

King's Food Host on the square...oldies among us may remember how we'd phone in our order from a booth.

The Hungry/Hungry/Hungry A&W sort of place on Monona Dr across from Olbrich Beach. It was bright orange, next to a miniature golf course.

The A&W on Park St.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:23 am

gargantua wrote:The A&W on Park St.

...with their car service (on roller stakes). I also miss Andy's, which took it's place.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Funny this old thread popped up again. Just this morning, walking down State, my husband and I were lamenting the loss of the original Canterbury restaurant/bookstore combo. We'd hit the Market on Saturdays, then wander down to Canterbury for book browsing and a light lunch. They had a great pasta salad with pine nuts, loved it. Also loved the cool, calm bookstore feel and smell, and the cozy little corner table in the front window. Once it switched from restaurant to coffee shop, we drifted away.

I also miss the Cellar Bar. LOVED the Cellar Burger with salami and banana peppers.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:02 am

American Lunch (on Park Street)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:10 pm

It's not a restaurant so please pardon the highjacking but my daughter has fond memories of us visiting the Puzzle Box on State Street and is sad that she can't do the same with hers.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby CoffeeJones » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:15 pm

gargantua wrote:The Hungry/Hungry/Hungry A&W sort of place on Monona Dr across from Olbrich Beach. It was bright orange, next to a miniature golf course.

High on my list. My older brothers actually worked there. Burgers, root beer, and softball at Olbrich.

Alternate highjack topic: What restaurant will people in the future be putting on this list?
CoffeeJones

Postby talagaster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:30 pm

I miss Pel'meni. The most beautiful hole in the wall ever. I'd buy those spicy potato dumplings at least once a week during the winter when I worked on campus and lived near the capitol.

I agree with everyone who has mentioned Radical Rye. Domestic terrorism never tasted so good.

It's a stretch when it comes to food, but I also miss the free popcorn at the very-recently-departed Pub. They always put random stuff into the mix like Chex or Cheetos. It was super odd, trashy, and strangely wonderful... just like The Pub was.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:40 pm

The Turkish Kitchen food cart on Library Mall. Anyone know where he went?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:22 pm

talagaster wrote:I agree with everyone who has mentioned Radical Rye. Domestic terrorism never tasted so good.

Sorry to harsh your gig, but at least 4 people would disagree with you. Just saying...

From the Wiki-interwebs:

Robert Fassnacht was a 33-year-old post-doctoral researcher at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. On the night and early morning of August 23/24, 1970, he had gone to the lab to finish up work before leaving on a family vacation. He was involved in research in the field of superconductivity, which had potential applications to everything from power distribution to high-speed trains. At the time of the explosion, Fassnacht was in his lab located in the basement level of Sterling Hall. He was monitoring an experiment when the explosion occurred. Rescuers found him face down in about a foot of water.

He was survived by his wife, Stephanie, and their three children, a three-year-old son, Christopher, and twin one-year-old daughters, Heidi and Karin.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:40 pm

Never stepped foot in that place for that very reason.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Walter wrote:Sorry to harsh your gig, but at least 4 people would disagree with you. Just saying...

While I do fondly remember the soup, I went there as an undergrad and was unaware of the store's connection to the Sterling Hall bombing. I only learned of the ownership when the store closed, I doubt I would still go there if it were still open under the same management. Thanks for deflating my distasteful quip, it was in poor taste.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Walter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:43 pm

talagaster wrote:...the store's connection to the Sterling Hall bombing.

I guessed that was the case and wasn't trying to smack you down or anything. Just wanted to put it out there for people to know.

Karl used to park his maroon Audi illegally on N Henry behind the shop a lot and I never missed the opportunity to put a parking ticket on it. It was nothing personal but I just couldn't look the other way. OK, maybe it was a little personal but *I* didn't park his car there!

If you haven't read it already, check out "Rads" by Tom Bates. It'll give a new perspective on Madison then and now.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:36 am

What Headliners-goer could forget Taco Grande and the infamous "dead baby"?

Does anyone remember the name of the burrito place on Atwood?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi all,
brand new poster here!

Before Gila Monster (which I was also fond of) it was Tanyeri Grill Turkish restaurant. I loved that place! The owner shut down and then reappeared as Otto's new owner some time later. I've only been to Otto's a couple of times--they do have a few Turkish items, but it's certainly not the same!

My 2nd most missed place--Wilson Street Grill!!
LaughingGirl

Postby keelio » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:23 am

I second the Wilson Street Grill and also miss the original Opera House on Pinckney. My wife worked above Wilson Street Grill and I worked above Opera House in the mid-nineties - two great lunch/dinner spots on the square.

Little Village Cafe on King rocked the house. Miss those Zuni Stew Burritos. The Indian place that moved in there for a bit had amazing samosas, but never got traction.

Bob's Blue Plate was also a nice lunch spot on Willy St.

Savory Thymes...

I miss the Art House Cafe also, not so much for the food - which was fine - but for the amazing music that got booked into that small venue. Same for the Mango Grill in University Square - great mashers but great music in a tiny venue. And along the music thread, Cafe Palms, where we received free dinners when booked into the Club de Wash.

And going back farther, Shanghai Minnie's, which was probably the only place I could afford to eat at as a UW student.

So many gone by the wayside...but so many decent options remain.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues