MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

"can i bring you some change?"

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

no- keep it
20%
yes, dumb ass- i gave you a $100 bill for an appetizer and 2 drinks
70%
only jesus and che guevara brought about real change....
10%

Total votes : 10

Postby gr0upie » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:44 am

not sure if this has been discussed before (too lazy to look), but it happened to me again at a restaurant last night. after a fairly satisfying meal (albeit with uninspired service), the waiter brought the check in one of those leather holders. seeing that i had put something inside, the waiter came back to take it and asked: "can i bring you some change?"

now, let me preface this rant by saying i waitressed all the way through college, and know a thing or two whereof i speak. but why do waitstaff insist on this most annoying practice? granted, i've never waitressed anywhere where the size of the crowds or the distances i had to travel from cash register to table were outrageous (the place last night had no such problems), but why not just go get the change, making sure to include plenty of small bills for tipping, and allow the patron to make his/her choice? christ, at least look to make sure the patron didn't pay for a twenty-dollar meal with a hundred-dollar bill (or with a CREDIT CARD, as i did last night) before you ask this.

what i perceive a waiter is saying to me when he/she asks if i need change is at best "i think i deserve as tip all the change you have coming to you" (presumptuous), and at worst "you're not worth my making the extra trip to bring your change" (rude).

thoughts?
gr0upie
Forum Addict

Postby princessmidwest » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:24 am

i also find this peculiar practice quite odd and sometimes rude. when i waitressed, i always said "i'll be right back with your change" that lets them know what you're doing & gives them the opportunity to say keep it if they want you to.
princessmidwest
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:57 am

I think that at a place like TGI Friday's, where each waitron has a bazillion tables, or at the Plaza where people are coming and going, it's probably fine. But at a place where you're dumping $20 plus per person, unacceptable.

A friend of mine used to manage Lettuce Entertain You restaurants in Chicago and everytime a waitron or bartender asks him that question, his embarrassing but apt reply is, "Now you can."

My problem is that it puts us meek midwesterners in a tough spot. We want to leave a good tip, but we want to be discreet about it. Please let us just leave you something on the table, miss.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bette » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:07 am

If I don't pay with exact change, I usually specify how much change I want. For example, if the total is $12 and I pay with $20.50, I might say, "And could I have $6 back?" I don't know if this is annoying for the waitstaff, but it clears up confusion on my part when the receipt disappears between paying and change receiving.
Bette
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:53 am

When I waited tables I never asked that question. I always brought back the change, but often customers would say "I don't need any change back." And many times the patron would add to the change that was brought back, where if I had asked they probably would have said no and left it at that.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:15 am

Hey, rude as such behavior might be, at least they ask.
Delivery guys, on the other hand, have many times taken my $20, handed me my sandwich, chips and soda, and turned around to leave as if they deserve an $8 tip for the $12 delivery.
Or, have any of you ever paid for a pizza with a credit card and had the order-taker ask "would you like to include a tip?" Uh... no, thanks. I'll wait to make sure that it doesn't take three hours and/or arrive in bags that have been dropped in puddles or are saturated from leaking butter containers (I'm looking at you, Pizza Extreme.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:30 am

It does seem presumptive. My dad taught me years ago on how to tell a good wait person. If the bill is say $14. Put down a $20 and if they bring back 6 singles give them 4. If they bring back a 5 and a 1, leave the 1.

But assuming that they get the difference is really rude. I agree with a previous poster, just wait until they leave. If it's low, what are you going to do? Challenge it? It won't get you more.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsucka » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:45 pm

I don't like it when someone gives me five singles...

The other day at a fine watering hole, I ordered a Pabst and plunked down 4 bucks 'cause I wasn't sure how much it was. Bartendra comes over and takes all four, punches in $2.25, then puts the $1.75 in her tip cup. Hey! what the hell?
zsucka

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:04 pm

I'd like to know where you experienced this, so i can be sure and not go there.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:18 pm

zsucka, sorry but i might have done the same. you're putting all the money out there in small bills, more than you need. although that would have been a mighty nice tip on a pbr. an especially nice tip on a pbr...
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:30 pm

My ex. always said,"Don't be cheap." As we got more prosperous, I decided it was a good idea to be direct and tell the waitron to take X amount of dollars for themself. This also ensures that they actually get the tip and cuts out any awkward misunderstandings.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:57 pm

ok....the rules from someone who doesn't currently work in the f&b industry, but has paid his dues.....

1. if you are dining at a restaurant for the first time and experience bad service and the food sucks and you have made up your mind that you will never return and you're justifiably pissed, you can stiff the disgrace to the f&b professionals....

2. if you are dining at a restaurant for the first time and experience bad service and good food and you have decided you might give the place a second chance then give a nominal tip and if appropriate constructive criticism....reserve the harsh words for the above....

3. if you are dining at a regular spot and receive either or both bad food and poor service straight 15% and talk to the owner...if you are a regular then you should know who that is by now..

4. if you are dining at any restaurant and receive good food and good service....that is when you tip a minimum of 20%....

5. if you are out for drinks in a bar that you will not be a regular and receive slow and attitudie service then just leave the change...no paper...

6. if you are out for drinks in a bar that you will not be a regular and receive good service then leave at least a buck a drink....two or three if you are buying rounds....you will get prompt replenishment of bevies....

7. if you are a regular at a specific bar then tip generously and you will become a favorite customer...if the bar you frequent never gives out comp drinks then find a new favorite bar.....
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:24 am

So Thumper. Say you are at the Rock on Friday, you have had a good week and are buy a round for friends and your future trick of the night orders a Cosmo. The bill comes to $14.75 and you plop your last 20 down. (no fair going to the ATM) What should the bartender put down for change? You want to impress Mr. Cosmo with your generosity but not get nuts. If he gives you a 5 spot and a quarter. Do you ask for change or let it slide?
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gr0upie » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:49 am

bassbari wrote:Say you are at the Rock on Friday, you have had a good week and are buy a round for friends and your future trick of the night orders a Cosmo. The bill comes to $14.75 and you plop your last 20 down. What should the bartender put down for change?

i would say that if your "trick of the night" (boy or girl) orders a cosmopolitan, you've got bigger problems than how much to tip or what kind of bills to expect from the bartender as change... n'est-ce pas?

8)

that said, thanks to everyone for the input on this... and thank you, jason, for a great line to lay on the next waitperson that asks me if i want any freaking change....
gr0upie
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:27 am

bassbari wrote:So Thumper. Say you are at the Rock on Friday, you have had a good week and are buy a round for friends and your future trick of the night orders a Cosmo. The bill comes to $14.75 and you plop your last 20 down. (no fair going to the ATM) What should the bartender put down for change? You want to impress Mr. Cosmo with your generosity but not get nuts. If he gives you a 5 spot and a quarter. Do you ask for change or let it slide?

At the Rock and trying to impress future burnt toast I would leave the 5. Any other bar and no potential trick in sight I would ask for change and leave two or three bucks.

Speaking of the Rock are you happy houring today?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues