MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fake virus scanner browser redirections.

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Fake virus scanner browser redirections.

Postby fennel » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 pm

Huckleby wrote:I haven't done any web work for a couple years, but my experience with IE is they are the BEST at supporting web standards. The problem is they aggressively add and promote their own "standards" too. Are you saying that Opera, Safari, Firefox etc. are now following a set of comprehensive standards that require no browser-specific tweaks?
"A couple of years?" What? 10 or 15? IE has a looooooong tradition of ignoring standards because MS has always assumed it could write it's own standards and depend on it's market dominance to make developers design IE-specific code to accommodate IE's flaws. But these days seasoned web developers will test against IE dead last, because IE's interpretation of web standards is pretty much guaranteed to be the single "Lord of the Flies" exception.

These days even the most esoteric browsers put IE to shame. All other major browsers (Opera, Safari, Firefox, etc.) whip the snot out of IE. Which is part of why it's no surprise that so many governmental bodies – from municipal to national – have expressly forbidden the use of IE for official purposes. Using it is a security risk and decreases the chances you'll be able to read standards-compliant web pages.
(Not that this is news, but it seems the news pipeline hereabouts is a little sluggish ...)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:29 am

fennel wrote: "A couple of years?" What? 10 or 15? IE has a looooooong tradition of ignoring standards because MS has always assumed it could write it's own standards and depend on it's market dominance to make developers design IE-specific code to accommodate IE's flaws.

I'm talking IE6. You are quite mistaken. IE was not "flawed", it was FAR more stable than any other browser, and IE6 was an industry leader in promoting cross-platform standards.

You're right about the many IE-specific codes, but they were implented to complement, not replace or create standards. You pulled that "compensating for flaws" theory out of your buttocks.

fennel wrote: But these days seasoned web developers will test against IE dead last, because IE's interpretation of web standards is pretty much guaranteed to be the single "Lord of the Flies" exception.

These days even the most esoteric browsers put IE to shame. All other major browsers (Opera, Safari, Firefox, etc.) whip the snot out of IE.

I don't know what web development is like today. I'm not surprised that other browers have better performance, but I'm very puzzled to hear that IE has fallen behind in supporting standards. Microsoft is not stupid, they know supporting standards enhances the value of their browser; their proprietary extensions are primarily to enhance the value of IE on intranets.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Huckleby wrote:Microsoft is not stupid, they know supporting standards enhances the value of their browser; their proprietary extensions are primarily to enhance the value of IE on intranets.
No, Microsoft is not stupid, but they are arrogant and utterly indifferent to the needs of users. They would much rather spend $0.99 per user for a cobbled-together Frankenstein browser than $1.00 for a well-designed standards-compliant one. That's just how they roll.

Apple, on the other hand, is refining it's own brand of evil: exercising a monopoly over iPhone apps, crippling media purchases, and just generally restricting competition. Great design; evil intent.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:48 am

Check out any currnet web page coding examples, and often it's something like, "Here's the code to make this cool little effect or layout in Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, etc." followed by, "Oh and here's the extra code you have to add to make it work in IE. Oh, but it only works in IE 7 forward, and doesn't work on the Mac version at all."

I do need to mention that it seems IE 8 is more standards-compliant than its predecessors, so Microsoft isn't totally deaf to the issue. However, the developer still needs to take IE 6 and 7 into consideration, because there are still significant numbers of people using them (sadly).

Btw, if you're still using IE 6, it's time to upgrade or switch. In the wake of the Google hack, Microsoft and several governments are urging people to get rid of it.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nfg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:19 am

I didn't try malware but I am not so convinced it's ok. I trust more kaspersky becouse I work with it and I have no problem. That's why I recommend you to use it and I wanna tell you this version 7 is the best of all. It's tested
nfg

Postby wack wack » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:20 am

rrnate wrote:
Huckleby wrote:As a next step, I recommend running the following free program to clear infections off your machine:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I just wanted to mention that Huck is right - Malwarebyte is a pretty dang awesome virus n' spyware cleaner. They're pretty aggressive with updates and the program is pretty innocuous otherwise.

I'll third this: Malwarebytes is great.

The general consensus on tech forums is that one needs to run three programs: a general AV (McAfee, Kaspersky, AVG, etc.) and two anti-malware/spyware programs. Most recommend Malwarebytes plus an anti-spy program (Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, etc.) The free versions are sufficient as long as you keep them updated and run the scans regularly.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games