MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Road Bike Route

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Road Bike Route

Postby Crockett » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:32 am

Have a friend coming to town this weekend and I'm looking for a good road bike ride through classic farmland interspersed with townie bars, cheese and/or supper clubs.

I've done the Paoli ride from Madison a few times and it works for brews and farmland. Just wondering if there are any others worthwhile from Madison.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Road Bike Route

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:18 pm

If you don't mind hills, I would suggest going west: maybe start at/near Riley Tavern and ride a big arc north toward Mazomanie and then back southwest toward Mt. Horeb. Imagine a giant triangle drawn between Verona, Blue Mounds and Mazomanie - there are a lot of good roads in that area. This might be better defined as the area between Hwy 151, Hwy 14, and County K, although there are a lot of great rides outside of those boundaries too.

You might plan to end up at the Grumpy Troll in Mt. Horeb - then your trip back to Madison will be mostly downhill, either on the Military Ridge Trail (boring, but easy) or on the road. I usually drive out from Madison and park at Pine Bluff or somewhere west of Elver Park.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking