MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

La Finca - visited on Father's Day

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

La Finca - visited on Father's Day

Postby msnflyer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:05 am

We visited La Finca today. They were advertising a Father's Day special breakfast but it was long over when we arrived at 2:00. We were the only customers, had our choice of tables, all of which had numbers taped to them.

Dining room was rather plain, a mural on the wall, some pottery, sunny colors. Unpadded chairs, wooden tables. Service was quick and friendly, think it was one of the owners. Taco chips were crispy, salsa was ordinary.

Companion had tacos dorado, looked like a relative of flautas but larger. Crumbled Mexican cheese and sour cream on top, finely diced steak filling. Lettuce and delicious pico de gallo, beans and rice on the side. The rice was well flavored, not too much tomato. Beans were relatively smooth and while tasty they were unremarkable.

I ordered from the specials menu, huevos ranchers with beans on the side. Freshly fried corn tortillas, over easy eggs and fresh tomato sauce with many onions. Not the best huevos rancheros I've ever had but far superior to most offered in Madison.

Flan for dessert, it too was unremarkable but the sauce was tasty. Served with whipped cream and a cherry garnish, it was a bit past its prime.

Taco Trailer Man got a full time job so he's parking his trailer in the back lot, not involved in the daily operation of the business. The mirrors are still above the bar.

In all we were pleasantly surprised with the taste and quality of the food and will go back to try something else. Both of us commented that La Finca's food is better tasting than Pedro's or Laredo's. Try it, you might like it!
--------------------------------

Have you tried it? The former El Corral, Runway, Tony Franks, etc. on Packers Avenue.

The taco guy's trailer is parked in the back lot and we really miss his delicious tacos. If he's involved in La Finca we'll probably try it out.
Last edited by msnflyer on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Re: La Finca anyone?

Postby JansM » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:29 pm

We tried this place mid-April. I hope they've worked out some kinks since then. We ordered some type of chicken entree wrapped in tortillas (taco/burrito or similar) and the chicken was very dried out, stringy, way overdone, as though it'd been way too intimate with a heat lamp for much too long. I hope they do well, but we won't be back unless I hear a review better than mine. Anyone? Did they get their liquor license?
JansM

Re: La Finca - visited on Father's Day

Postby tseeks » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:26 pm

Ate lunch at La Finca on July 15th. They were out of chicken, but everything else went well. The staff was friendly and attentive. Decor was simple and the place was clean.

I had the green enchiladas with beef. The first one (of three) was a little heavy on the onions, but overall good. A coworker had the red enchiladas, which were a bit more spicy than the green ones. My other two coworkers had chimichangas. One beef and one chorizo. Both were fried to a nice golden brown color and they both said they were very good.

All our meals came with Mexican-style rice, pico de gallo, sour cream and refried beans. Some cheese was also sprinkled on the beans. I also had a glass of horchata.

Nothing was bad, but nothing was fantastic either, but worth going back to see want the other choices are like. Portion size was good so no room for flan this time.
tseeks

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews