MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Giving us a bad name

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Giving us a bad name

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:37 am

The city used to call them multi-use paths, but they seemed to have given up on that.

Bike path maps
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I bike a lot so I'm not bemoaning bicyclists, but this type of attitude give us a bad name. I know she rides with this crap on the bike path. I'll take those flags out if I have to pass her.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=29474

Seems like a bit of perfectly harmless activism. Where can I sign up to get all bent out of shape about it?
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:30 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:I bike a lot so I'm not bemoaning bicyclists, but this type of attitude give us a bad name. I know she rides with this crap on the bike path. I'll take those flags out if I have to pass her.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=29474

Seems like a bit of perfectly harmless activism. Where can I sign up to get all bent out of shape about it?

Harmless activism is putting a sign on your bike or writing an editorial. This is reckless and can possibly hurt other people on the bike path(or multi use path) or on the street. Does she ride down sidewalks with this? She had to gingerly ride around a stroller on the bike path to make sure not to hit it.

Bicycles share the road, path, sidewalk, etc... with other people. I personally think she was riding side by side with someone else, got tagged and it now being selfish about the situation. This isn't activism, this is stupid.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The city used to call them multi-use paths, but they seemed to have given up on that.

Bike path maps

"Hey Henry, wanna go for a ride on the multi-use path?"

Yeah, I can't see how that didn't catch on.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:16 am

Personally, I think flag woman is just another example of the subset of humanity whose brain function called "common sense" only works intermittently, if at all.

I call them bike paths too. I do see pedestrians/dog walkers use them often, but they're predominately used by bikes...er, cyclists.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:55 pm

gargantua wrote:Personally, I think flag woman is just another example of the subset of humanity whose brain function called "common sense" only works intermittently, if at all.

That's probably true, but as such, I don't think she gives "us" a bad name, unless "us" consists of that subset of humanity.

The day when one nut-cake on a bike doesn't "give all of us a bad name" is the day when cycling is accepted as a normal everyday activity.

But if she's doing something dangerous, that would be a different story. One of those flags could put an eye out. Of a dog, on a leash, tied to a bike ridden by someone who is naked and texting while peddling on the urban multi-use asphaltway.

I call them bike paths too. I do see pedestrians/dog walkers use them often, but they're predominately used by bikes...er, cyclists.

Terms like "multi-use path" are typically indicative of people who take themselves too seriously. Over here on the west side, we call them bike paths. They are predominantly used by cyclists, but in nice weather also by joggers, folks walking their dogs, kids goofing around, and so forth.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking