Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
canoe rack
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Satisfaction Jasksin

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Satisfaction Jasksin

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:16 pm

It's back. 6-packs available now. Will be on tap at the Ale Asylum as soon they run out of something else (read: Bedlam). Hallelujah.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Re: Satisfaction Jasksin

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:19 am

Will it be way overpriced like last year's batch?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:07 am

Considering that they have to double the hops and malt to make a double IPA, I didn't find last year's to be over-priced. I eventually bought two cases of it, along with several growlers. It can be had at Woodman's for $11.49. Cheapskate.
Last edited by Goober McTuber on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Will it be way overpriced like last year's batch?

It wasn't overpriced last year Henry. It cost a lot to make. And they sold it all rather quickly, so even if you don't believe the production cost was a factor...if it was overpriced it wouldn't sell, would it?

The price is lower this year because the cost of ingredients, especially hops, went down.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:33 am

gargantua wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Will it be way overpriced like last year's batch?

It wasn't overpriced last year Henry. It cost a lot to make. And they sold it all rather quickly, so even if you don't believe the production cost was a factor...if it was overpriced it wouldn't sell, would it?

The price is lower this year because the cost of ingredients, especially hops, went down.

Exactly. I was reading where the hops shortage of 2008-2009 raised the costs for homebrewers by as much as 400%. Considering how well the Jacksin moved off of the shelf last year, AA could easily have held the price a bit higher, even if less, than last year. AA is good people.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:42 am

Yet last year I could get Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale at half the price. And I rate it as good or even better than SJ.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:53 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Yet last year I could get Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale at half the price. And I rate it as good or even better than SJ.

I bought a sixer of the Celebration Ale, and it took me a month to choke most of it down. Nasty overly-bitter beer. The Jacksin is an extremely well-balanced beer which actually gets better as it sits.

One of bartenders at AA suggested "cellaring" a little of the Jacksin. I tried it. He said the hops would be the first flavor to fade. I tried a bottle after it had sat in the fridge for 5 months or so. Some of the hops flavor was still there, but the malt backbone was a bit more pronounced. Really outstanding flavor.

I kept one bottle of the Celebration Ale for roughly the same time period and somehow it just got more bitter, not better. I poured out about half of the bottle. Never again.

Stick to the offerings of the Milwaukee Ale House, Henry. As gargantua pointed out, it's a decent choice for someone fairly new to craft beer.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:56 pm

I not the only one who rates Celebration Ale over Satisfaction Jacksin.

And I was drinking craft beer while you were still shitting brindle.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Let me rephrase this. Stick to the offerings of the Milwaukee Ale House, Henry, it's a decent choice for someone with shit for taste.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:Let me rephrase this. Stick to the offerings of the Milwaukee Ale House, Henry, it's a decent choice for someone with shit for taste.

Since I didn't care for the Ale House I tasted, I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I also see you ignored my comments about beer ratings between CA and SJ.

Do you have stock in Ale Asylum or are you just dating the owner?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Since I didn't care for the Ale House I tasted, I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Henry Vilas wrote:I notice Woodman's liquor is now stocking beer from the Milwaukee Brewing Company. Seems to be an offshoot of the Milwaukee Ale House. I bought a sixer of their IPA. Good, but not great.

OK, you don’t care for “good” beer. Noted.

Henry Vilas wrote:I also see you ignored my comments about beer ratings between CA and SJ.

The numbers on ratebeer are not yet significant for SJ. 32 total reviews and one ridiculously low rating of 2.6 is enough to skew the mean significantly downward.

SA, on the other hand has over 2200 ratings. Take a look at their highest ratings. The vast majority of their 5.0s, 4.9s and 4.8s are 5-10 years old. Which means that either the quality is falling off, or that the raters are becoming a little bit more discriminating. Probably a bit of both. Would be interesting to see their ratings for just the past 24 months.

Henry Vilas wrote:Do you have stock in Ale Asylum or are you just dating the owner?

Neither, but there’s a couple/few bartenders there I’d happily date.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:40 pm

My current favorite hoppy ale is Avery's IPA. I can only find it at Brennan's. They also carry el Toro's which ranks pretty high (at least in my book). I miss the Hearty Hop from New Glarus, although it is a wee too malty for my taste.

But that's what it's all about... individual taste.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:38 am

[post removed]
Last edited by ilikebeans on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:33 am

Henry Vilas wrote:But that's what it's all about... individual taste.

That, we can agree on. For what it's worth, I'll also agree that SN Celebration and Satisfaction Jacksin are somewhat different. I like both of them, for different reasons. I don't like Celebration as much as I used to, but honestly, I can't say if it's the beer or if my tastes have changed a little bit.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:50 am

I find celebration and jacksin to not be very similar in style or taste....not sure where the arguement is founded?
I mean we could argue that Guiness is better than miller lite or vice versa. Both low alcohol, low hopped easy drinking beers, right?
Celebration has quickly become one of my least favorite sierra nevada beers, as many of their new offerings are much better.

Anyway...
Jacksin is a close second behind Ballistic..IMO, but AA doesn't put out any bad product...and these are two of their best. I generally don't pony up for the bottled version, as I drive past the brewery 4 times a day..stopping in is easier 8)
kweetech
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails