MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
sweet corn sign
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Fiesta 38- S. Park St.

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Fiesta 38- S. Park St.

Postby Pogoagogo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:32 pm

Went for lunch with a co-worker today, and had a great experience.

I ordered the Sautee "Sanguche", and my friend had the Mexican Grilled Chicken. The Sautee included beef, onion, tomato and cilantro, topped with a fried egg and potato sticks. The sandwich was tasty, the beef freshly cooked and not over done, the roll was house made and actually nice and crusty. It came with a side of Huacatay sauce sauce for dipping. All in all the sandwich was put together well, with a hint of each component coming through.

The Mexican Grilled Chicken was served on the same standout roll and was made up of citrus marinated chicken, avocado and pico de gallo.

"Flame Grilled Chicken" seems to be their specialty and I'll certainly try it next time. They say it is marinated overnight in South American spices, craft beer and citrus juices. You can get a whole chicken with 3 sides for $15.99.

The place was clean, if pretty stark, but they are brand new. The dessert case looked interesting but the sandwiches were more than enough for this trip. Both employees were super-friendly and very happy to talk about the food. Needless to say, I'm hooked and will give this place a spot on my regular lunch rotation.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Re: Fiesta 38- S. Park St.

Postby LaughingGirl » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:06 pm

I was going to start a thread on this place too.

Went last night w/husband and our 2 teens. 1 kid and I got the Cuban "chop"--chopped pork, black beans, sweet fried plantains and pico de gallo over white rice). Large bowl, very tasty.
Other kid got the jardinera--yellow rice with carrots and peas (probably frozen), pork and I forget what else (leftovers are in fridge). Bit of heat, which was nice. Husband got the chicken with 2 "fiesta" sides (i.e. more expensive than regular sides)--patacones (fried green plantain) and a tamale that had some pork, olives and hard boiled egg in it--on the spicy side--good. He enjoyed all of it. The chicken was almost bordering on dry in places, but the flavor was good and my husband even ate the skin, which is a rarity. The don't have a liquor license yet, but lots of other choices. The manager brought us cilantro sauce (mayo) which may not come standard and also brought us a sweet on the house--fried dough rings, called chicharones (sp?) because that's what they resemble, served in a sweet syrup.
Nothing fancy, but everything was tasty and we all had leftovers, so extremely affordable. Definitely an easy place with kids in tow.
LaughingGirl

Postby LaughingGirl » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:35 pm

I had the Jardinera leftovers for dinner and I think those were fresh carrots!
LaughingGirl

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:56 am

All I have to say is that the chicken head costume part in the window is terrifying. I will probably go here since it's near my house though.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby Ashley » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:18 pm

Went by here for the last few days on my way home and it's not open. No sign on the door either about temporary closure. Very odd.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:20 pm

we were there last week. had a bad experience. ordered lots of food, waited forever (25 minutes) before we got anything while other people who ordered after us got served their stuff before us.
the food was ok, not great and not worth that kind of wait... i mean the place is one step up from a fast food joint... bummer.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ashley » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Never mind for my last statement--seems to be open now.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby uneditedtruth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:28 pm

The restaurant takes way too long even when empty and their signature chicken "chop" bowls were highly oversalted and mediocre with very very little meat and mounds of salty cilantro rice. I would avoid.
uneditedtruth

Postby depinmad » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:46 pm

i must agree with the truth.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hmmmph » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:12 pm

A friend of mine drove past here and said it looked closed for good....can anybody verify?
hmmmph

Postby Crockett » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:32 pm

I've always enjoyed the Cuban chop. Cheap, wholesome and tasty...how I like 'em.

As for its closure, no idea. I hope its as closed for good as someone said New Orleans Takeout was...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:08 am

Closed up tight. The sign is down, the windows are papered.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby friendofafriend » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:51 pm

i was hoping it was a new aesthetic they were going for but no, its gone.
friendofafriend

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews