MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus on the Isthmus

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Isthmus on the Isthmus

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:43 pm

So I just watched the video highlighting the Triennial exhibit at MMOCA.

http://www.thedailypage.com/video/artic ... icle=29567

While I appreciate the Isthmus now making videos for the Daily Page, they gotta work on their videography. I found it pretty horrible. Sloppy zooms, bad composition, and jerky camera work that couldn't follow the curator.

I only bring this up because there are so many people out there who do a great job at this(just as amateurs even), that I find it hard to imagine they can't find someone on their staff that can do better.

The person who shot it might be reading this now and get all pissed with me. Sorry, I felt the need to be constructive. Maybe this will up their game.

Like I said, I do appreciate delving into the video. I watched others and they are ok. If you're going for the, "my uncle just bought a camera and is recording shit" you've succeeded. Otherwise, something that is posted on the web for all to see needs to up it's game in my opinion. And, or course, that's all it is.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Isthmus on the Isthmus

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:16 am

Stebben84 wrote:

The person who shot it might be reading this now and get all pissed with me. Sorry, I felt the need to be constructive. Maybe this will up their game.

that would be me. i shoot these videos on the fly, with almost no preparation or forethought about exactly what i hope to capture or how to proceed. having said that, i'm not trying to make an excuse for how the videos look. the sloppy zooms, awkward shifts in focus and questionable compositions are left in as an artistic choice, not because i couldn't easily edit around them.
i'm hoping to convey a little of the immediacy and off the cuff-ness of the shoots in the finished product.
also, since i've been doing this (since january) i've looked at plenty of similar online video content at other local and national sites, and as objectively as i can, i beg to differ about there being a lot of video being produced for newspaper websites of a higher quality.
also, as you are the dude who read about ribs and pork selling out early at porky pine pete's but still insisted on going no earlier than 7:30 on a weekend night and then left in a snit when one out of their three very fine products was sold out, i am taking your "constructive" criticism with a huge grain of salt.
thanks for watching though!
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:35 am

depinmad wrote:i'm not trying to make an excuse for how the videos look. the sloppy zooms, awkward shifts in focus and questionable compositions are left in as an artistic choice, not because i couldn't easily edit around them.

Fair enough. To me they did not come across as a choice but as a mistake.

depinmad wrote:i'm hoping to convey a little of the immediacy and off the cuff-ness of the shoots in the finished product.

If this is the case, I would say more hand held shots. It's the use of the tripod with the jerkyness that makes it seem like a mistake.

depinmad wrote:also, as you are the dude who read about ribs and pork selling out early at porky pine pete's but still insisted on going no earlier than 7:30 on a weekend night and then left in a snit when one out of their three very fine products was sold out, i am taking your "constructive" criticism with a huge grain of salt.

Criticizing a restaurant and criticizing video fall into two very different categories. Also, I mainly left in a snit because the service was absolutely horrible. But I digress.

I'll say it again, I do like the fact that you're doing these interviews. It does make for a nice addition to the Daily Page. I also thought the content you chose to report on(for many of the videos) was interesting. I just think the technical part could be worked on.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:37 am

fair enough.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 am

depinmad wrote:also, as you are the dude who read about ribs and pork selling out early at porky pine pete's but still insisted on going no earlier than 7:30 on a weekend night and then left in a snit when one out of their three very fine products was sold out, i am taking your "constructive" criticism with a huge grain of salt.

That reaction to criticism may not further your craft, but it makes for good reading.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:20 am

Ducatista wrote:

That reaction to criticism may not further your craft, but it makes for good reading.

I don't know, you guys are being entirely too nice to each other. I was hoping for a lot more snark to spice up my Tuesday.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:22 am

chainsawcurtis wrote:
Ducatista wrote:

I don't know, you guys are being entirely too nice to each other. I was hoping for a lot more snark to spice up my Tuesday.

i'm in my "professional, working for isthmus" mode, otherwise things would be a lot uglier (and awkwardly composed).
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:05 pm

The zooming did seem unsure at times, but the video was fine and served it's purpose well. The opening music reminded me of the AV Club's "Undercover" theme. The credits look great.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:10 pm

The zooming WAS unsure. I'm not trying to say that some of what you see isn't me futzing around trying to get some shots. What I'm saying is rather than edit that stuff out of the piece, I like to leave some of that in. I'm saying putting those parts of the shot in the piece was not an accident or mistake on my part.
Saying it's a mistake for me to have made that choice is a different matter.
That opening music is from a song called "blind spot" by my somewhat defunct band, swim team. You're right though, when I heard that undercover theme I too thought it was in the same vein.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:32 pm

I hear ya. Your artistic style & choices are your own and I can respect that.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:34 pm

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Did you do the "fishing" piece? I put "fishing" in quotes, because it started out about fishing (at Wingra?) and turned into a biographical piece about the funny dude who consumed a good 2/3 of the clip. Loved it.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Yes, this one:

http://www.thedailypage.com/video/artic ... icle=29310

I do all the Isthmus on the isthmus pieces, and they are all available here:

http://www.thedailypage.com/video/

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:39 pm

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:46 pm

That looked good. I liked it better than some of the others. The woman you interviewed was a little nutty, but probably in a good way. I did think it was a little long, but I wouldn't call that a critique, just a short attention span :D

It's a nice addition to the online paper. I likes me some moving pictures.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com